And so it begins. The death of Y&R

• Members

what about Jepordy, Wheel, Ent Tonight, Acc Hollywood, The Insider, Extra?

Perhaps Oprah could go to 2, amc to 2, oltl to 4, gh at 4, and then game show/ent show at 7?

and then what do they air in the daytime?

I also think a good solution can be soaps operating under a small budget. Days got a 40% slash and is doing it, idk if they could go any cheaper tho. This means less sets, smaller casts, and fewer stories at once - all things modern soap fans bitch about. also, top stars need to take a pay cut or be fired. end of story. the buisness they in is not making it what use to be, so what makes them think they should? soaps need to work with them tho, if they are making less they should have a lighter sch.

if soaps could do it, networks need to rebuild daytime line ups. and not expect massive ratings from it. 2.0's seems to be the average for daytime now.

ABC Daytime could look like this. next to each slot i put what is airing now-

9: Regis/Kelly (now- same)

10: View (now- same)

11: game/judge/ent show (now- news)

12: news (now- amc)

1- talk show (one that features soap stars as guests!) (now- oltl)

2- amc (now- gh)

3- oltl (now- Oprah)

4- gh (now- news)

5- oprah (now- news)

6- local news/national new (now- same)

7- game show/ent show (now- wheel/jepordy)

NBC is the net that can really use an overhaul and see if it works...

10- talk show (today)

11- judge shows (news/acc hollywood)

12- News (game show)

1- game shows (days)

2- talk show (martha)

3- Ellen (bonnie hunt)

4- new soap (ellen)

5- Days (news)

6- local/national news (same)

7- ent shows(same)

or even move ellen/new soap/days back an hour, put news on at 5. i would love it if they would air dats at 7, swapping it with ent shows.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's Make A Deal will air at 10 AM in Atlanta. WLKY is not the

only CBS affiliate to carry Y&R at 4; WRAL Raleigh also does this,

beats Oprah, and has the top-rated 5 PM news.

Possibly WGCL believes Y&R is the strongest lead-in to its 4 PM

newscast that it can find.

As for "the death of Y&R," I think ATWT will go first...in fact

I predict its demise as of Sept. 17, 2010.

• Members

So would I! Although I think your affiliate (and mine) rely heavily on the entertainment shows at 7pm -- it is their bread-and-butter. Celebrity gossip is practically Cali and NY's only growth industry at the moment!

I also love your space for a new soap on NBC (please, not another Passions, though).

• Members

not another passions at all, i agree. if they want a strong daytime lineup they NEED a new soap, and they should make it a modern soap, but classic. simple. deal with real issues, blah blah blah. look at the 70's and update the storys for the most part, lol

also here in LA, our local station is also moving the sch around. Rachel Ray, who is now on at 9, will move to 2p - the old GL slot, and TPIR will move to 9am, and LMAD will take its 10am slot.

• Members

Now... I AGREE about soaps airing in the late afternoon. Networks shied away form this in the past, because for whatever reason it didn't work for The Edge Of Night. But I know in St. Louis, since it airs at 4PM... they have a strong lead in for their local news, and it works very well, catching the "after-school" viewer. Now, Wheel does get great ratings in that early evening slot, but it's the SLOT, not the show neccesarily. It kind of struggled at 10 AM from 1976-81, and then when it moved to nightime.... it took OFF. and it certainly wasn't Sajak making the ratings go up... the man has the personality of a wet dishrag.

• Members

I lived in California in the late 80's and they moved GH to 4pm there and it did horribly at that time, so they moved it to a different time and it did alot better.

I can't see a timeslot change making a difference. If people want to watch they will, if they don't, a time change isn't going to get them to watch.

They have to WANT to watch

• Members

they have. they have actually been up in ratings compared to last year almost every week. they also usually gain overall ratings every week and when they tumnble they bounce back. i would say losing john/mar/patch/kayla/tony really helped days.

here are last weeks ratings numbers-

4. DAYS 2,720,000 (+8,000/+115,000)

so they gained 8,000 people from last week and 115,000 from last year.

now compare to ATWT-

7. ATWT 2,348,000 (-50,000/-131,000)

• Members
Are you sure about this?

I thought Let's Make a Deal was getting the post-Early Show slot.

I do think it's weird that they are pairing Deal and Price together instead of allowing Deal to stand on it's own post-ATWT. If an affiliate IS told by CBS to pair Wayne and Drew together, I could see more affiliates not wanting to give up their lucrative post-Early show programming(i.e. smaller affiliates that may carry Regis & Kelly, Dr. Phil, The Doctors, or any other high performing talk show) and scheduling Deal at 12Noon/11CST(in places where Y&R airs after Price with No news Breaks) and moving Y&R to 2PM/3PMCST.

Archived