And so it begins. The death of Y&R

• Members

Nah. Affiliates do this, and have done this for years, because they want to claim more lucrative slots for local programs...where they claim 100% of revenue (and air more local ads). This is the reason why don't see much syndicated fare on local channels after Oprah these days. They stuff that time with 2 or 3 hours of local news. It is lucrative (people are home watching), so why "give" that time to syndicated or network programs. There is nothing charitable -- except for the Atlanta station's bottom line -- in this move.

In theory, you're right: "A strong show should succeed in any time slot". But that NEVER happens. And soaps don't live on their storytelling--they live on the habit of legacy viewers. (Soaps don't win back lapsed viewers and they don't win new viewers. Period. That is the Jack Peyton axiom, and it absolutely true).

Theoretically, the time slot move shouldn't kill Y&R. Practically, based on 50 years of data with time slot shifts, we see that FOR THE MOST PART these shifts kill shows. (Not always). In the modern era, any small chance can and will kill a show.

If the Atlanta switch brings more dollars to the Atlanta affiliate, this WILL become a national switch.

But let's all come back and look at the ratings for Y&R next year. That will tell the tale....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that Y&R will do just fine in the 10:00 a.m. slot in Atlanta. The last regional ratings breakdown posted on SON showed that the CBS soaps, particularly Y&R did much better in the south, while ABC soaps do better in the northeast.

I remember reading an article that GL got a reprieve because it was moved from the 3:00 p.m. time slot where GH killed it. So it is more about competition. As long as Y&R is not up against Oprah, I think that it will do well.

• Members

Okay, I found TMOTV's last stuff on this

http://boards.soapop...post__p__691712

Atlanta, GA (#8 media market in the country):

Population

City - 519,145

Metro - 5,278,904

Time Net Program ATL (representing Southern market)

--------------------------------------------------------------

EARLY MORNING (Eastern Times)

7:00a ABC Good Morning America 4.9/17

11:00a ABC The View 5.4/19

7:00a CBS Early Show 0.4/1

7:30a CBS Early Show 0.5/2

7:00a NBC Today 2.9/10

9:00a NBC Today 1.4/5

10:00a NBC Today 1.3/4

7:00a FOX Good Day Atlanta (local) 4.1/14

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAYTIME

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1:00p ABC All My Children 2.8/9

2:00p ABC One Life to Live 2.0/7

3:00p ABC General Hospital 2.0/6

12:30p CBS Young & the Restless 2.4/8

1:30p CBS Bold & the Beautiful 1.6/5

2:00p CBS As the World Turns 1.4/5

3:00p CBS Guiding Light 1.0/3

1:00p NBC Days of Our Lives 1.2/4

And here it is from a little later

Source:

Atlanta, GA (#8 media market in the country):

Population

City - 519,145

Metro - 5,278,904

Time Net Program ATL (representing Southern market)

EARLY MORNING (Eastern Times)

7:00a ABC Good Morning America 4.9/17

11:00a ABC The View 5.4/19

7:00a CBS Early Show 0.4/1

7:30a CBS Early Show 0.5/2

7:00a NBC Today 2.9/10

9:00a NBC Today 1.4/5

10:00a NBC Today 1.3/4

7:00a FOX Good Day Atlanta (local) 4.1/14

DAYTIME

1:00p ABC All My Children 2.8/9

2:00p ABC One Life to Live 2.0/7

3:00p ABC General Hospital 2.0/6

12:30p CBS Young & the Restless 2.4/8

1:30p CBS Bold & the Beautiful 1.6/5

2:00p CBS As the World Turns 1.4/5

3:00p CBS Guiding Light 1.0/3

1:00p NBC Days of Our Lives 1.2/4

• Members

I wonder why they wouldn't just shift everything down an hour. If they want a local show from 12.30 - 1.30, just start airing Y&R, B&B, ATWT after that.

ATWT's numbers are pretty bad in Atlanta. I'm surprised they didn't move it to early AM like they did GL here in the Orlando market.

• Members

Time shift might be better than what they are doing except...they REALIZE that viewers watch shows in particular time slots. This is why they left B&B and ATWT alone. Also, they're not interested in "saving" the lineup They only want that 12:30 slot for local ads...and nothing else matters. I don't think they are out to kill Y&R. They just don't care about it.

Archived