And so it begins. The death of Y&R

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, this is just taking place in Atlanta. It's not happening all over the country. My question is, did GL do better than GH in Atlanta? Because if GL gave GH competition in that market, and if Y&R is losing ratings at it's 12:30 time period, this could be a good thing.

• Members

No way the local affiliate would move Y&R to a "better" slot. The Atlanta affiliate took a prime "daytime" slot (the one that follows local news) and they want to put a show in it where they keep 100% revenue. They do not give a sh*t about Y&R...so they gave it an open "dregs" slot. If Y&R stays there...poor Wayne Brady. His show won't stand a chance.

I realize this is just Atlanta, but I think it is a canary in the coal mine for two reasons. FIRST, Atlanta is a HUGE market. So that will take a bite out of the national ratings. SECOND, if Atlanta is going to do it, so are other affiliates.

I'm not being Chicken Little here. I'm actually not even that upset...more like weary and resigned and feeling like I now see the end of the road. I deluded myself into thinking that the companies might try to "save" Y&R, but now I see (at least the affiliates and CBS) really probably don't care.

Really? I hadn't heard that before!

• Members

I just can't believe that CBS, or even the affiliates, would want to kill Y&R. The show is not doing that well in the ratings compared to previous years but is still the highest rated soap and I would assume is higher rated than most daytime programming. Y&R also has to hold the daytime lineup together, and Price is Right is such a mess now that it's not like they can afford to be cavalier.

• Members

I have been saying this for some time now....Y&R is on probation!! :lol: I would not be surprised if CBS is NOT at all that upset about what is happening to the show but are probably saying...TERRIFIC. Because why in heaven's name would anyone want to alienate your "core viewers" when you know you are not bringing in any NEW VIEWERS to the show. And changing the branding and identity of a product with no warning is always always a bad move. I would also blame this demise squarely on MAB's bullheaded and arrogant shoulders as well and her "THIS IS MY VISION" mantra and all soaps should follow me. :rolleyes: I guess she forgot that CBS actually really pays quite a bit of the bills. :lol:

And while everyone is teeing off on HS, MAB is married to Bill Bell's son so I think she pretty much has some autonomy here, so there is no way in heck I am going to be blaming anyone except her. I am so absolutely extremely disappointed in her because I expected better. I am still holding out hope that she will somehow make me stop whining & complaining about the show something that I rarely ever did.

<_<

• Members

I don't believe CBS wants to kill Y&R but I think they are beginning to finally be concerned about the quickly eroding viewership...and they are not seeing any investments in NEW VIEWERS being attracted to the soap genre. This is a smart company, there are probably now strategically planning on how to replace their soaps (it will not happen overnight certainly). They have to think that way. Sort of like when their stock was tanking, they suspended their dividends for a bit.

• Members

Atlanta is a huge market and I'd be willing to bet they have a huge black viewership. Atlanta isn't called the black hollywood for nothing! It's a city where you turn on the various news programs (including the one that is taking Y&R's slot) and they're filled with black reporters. Y&R was probably a solid performer, but when the largely black audience saw the insulting scraps handed to the black characters in addition to the overall state of affairs, they saw little reason to watch. Y&R isn't must see tv anymore. Black viewers are a huge segment and people need to accept that. By Y&R ignoring that, they're killing the show. Even if you don't think VR is the answer, something needs to be done. Hell, bring on Vanessa Williams (the Melrose/Soul Food alum), Vivica A Fox, Amelia Marshell, Nia Long, Tichina Arnold. Get somebody big and write them a killer role. It IS possible to do that. Dru isn't the *only* answer. But they have no interest in that.

Archived