Soap Opera Digest hits new low

• Members

I've long complained about the soap media's bias in favor of certain shows, but this latest treatment from Soap Opera Digest really takes the cake: For the final issue that came out while GL is still on the air, SOD devoted its entire front cover space to DOOL (and its trashy baby switch storyline going on right now). Things even get worse when you go inside the magazine: it's final GL tribute consists of a whopping six pages!

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE as to why SOD could not devote an entire cover--and most of its mazagine pages--as a tribute to GL. For crying out loud, it is the longest running program in broadcast history! You can bet your bottom dollar that when either of the two trashiest soaps on TV--DOOL and GH--finally bite the dust, SOD will devote multiple issues chronicling that soap's entire history.

Count me as somebody who can't wait until SOD becomes history. And, it most definately will become history the very moment that either DOOL or GH is cancelled (since no soap magazine could survive without both of them). Already, I've noticed that far fewer supermarkets and grocery stores in my area sell SOD and SOW when compared to just a few short years ago.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although AW was treated poorly by the soap media, it at least got a SOD cover for its farewell. (I'm sure it also got more than a six page tribute as well.) Given this fact, it is indeed shocking that GL did not receive the same courtesy.

• Members

that was 10 years ago. Times are different. GL is dead. Theres not much left there for them to promote on their front cover. Especially in this recession, and the fact that printed media is also dying, they are going to do whats best to make money and sustain. Giving Days a cover does more for that than GL would at this point. GL wasnt getting much focus before. I didnt expect for them to stop how they were running things and all of a sudden go all out ofr it just bc its now gone

• Members

Its hardly any black people in them every now and then....

The ABC editions are nothing more than over the top pimping machines all they do is promote what ABC wants to market and encourage to shove down my throat with slanted biased captions/headlines favoring their pets.

As for the CBS edition I don't even bother with it...I just flip through them anyway while in line checking out...

ATwilight300.jpg

• Members

I'm not so sold on the fact that a GL cover would have done so poorly. CBS is promoting the heck out of the show, CNN reported it's cancellation, and will probably mention it again on Friday after the last episode airs. I don't have a doubt that if a former viewer of the soap or someone who had fallen out of love with soaps all together wouldn't have brought the magazine simply out of sentimental value.

Besides I must wonder is this new system of only promoting GH, Y&R, and DAYS is even working. They've been doing this for how long?

• Members

I have to agree that it's a shame the way SOD covered GL's farewell. 60 Minutes did a story about GL, and gave it the final slot in the show! When I saw that Obama and Ted Kennedy were the other two stories, I thought for sure GL would end up with the weakest slot in the middle. Instead, GL got the pimp slot of the final story. Talk about showing respect! Also, ABC News did a story on GL. BBC news did a story on GL. And SOD, the biggest soap mag in the business, can't bother to put the show on the cover?

Yes, SOD has become totally irrelevant. But still, I was shocked by how crass - and scared shitless - they are.

Archived