AMC: RUMOR about the show possibly moving production to LA

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:rolleyes:

Don't they do the same thing in Los Angeles? Unless AMC were planning on going the GL route and building permanent sets, Los Angeles pays Union workers to do the exact same thing. I can't think of a single L.A. soap that has more than one set that stays unstruck after the day is over.

Now I buy this. But that's just a lucky guess.

LOL. If AMC is considered the "legacy soap," then why is IT being moved to LA instead of "never created superstar characters" OLTL?

Brian Frons said in an interview that he was a fan of OLTL and GH and that he had never seen AMC before he joined the lineup. That should say something in regards to how Frons feels about AMC.

• Members

They just have more room for permanent sets out in Los Angeles. There's definitely less striking done on the LA soaps than there are on the NYC soaps, because the NY soaps have much MUCH smaller studios to work with. The DC article is just worded weird, but I get what they were trying to say.

• Members

Doesn't matter if she is a joke or not she is still known outside of the soap world as a legacy character. It's not an us vs. them issue it's just stating facts and I doubt that it will happen but if it does good for them.

• Members

My friends know that both Victoria Rowell and especially Shamar Moore used to be on Young and the Restless and they never watched one episode everyone else like you said probably can walk down the street during rush hour traffic and not even turn a head.

• Members

I have no idea which soap ABC will cancel first, but all three of them cannot keep declining like this and stay on the air. I do think that ABC will experience more with GL's cheap production model. I saw OLTL is already going that route. AMC and GH will probably do the same eventually if the ratings do not rebound during November sweeps. Moving AMC to LA is a non-starter.

During the last World Cup, I was watching ESPNews only to hear them announce that Eric Braeden would be coming on. I was in shock. I hung around for the interview thinking that he was going to talk about a charity or something like that. The whole interview was about the World Cup and his torn loyalties because he is originally from Germany. The guy interviewing him was dead serious too. Braeden is that well known to non-soap male audience. Stunning.

I didn't mention Victoria Rowell and Shemar Moore because they are no longer on the soaps, but you are both right. Debbie Morgan may be well known in the black community, but not the general poblic. Her face might be recognizable from Eve's Bayou which got a lot of critical acclaim and she was amazing in that movie.

• Members

My whole idea about that show was that it would air in the time period occupied by Oprah on the ABC O&O Stations and affiliates once Oprah goes to her own network, if that's still in the works.

I don't really see how a talk show in either AMC's or OLTL's time period could bring in higher ratings. Especially if AMC is constantly out preformed by Y&R and B&B. The only thing I could see helping ABC Daytime is moving all their soaps back by 1 hour. There is a chance that with better writing an an earlier start AMC could do well at noon if all east coast affiliates & owned stations will air it that time. I don't really think the 3pm time period is that viable anymore. With better writing across the board for ABCD they could contend against CBS because we all know the writing on that network is far from superior.

• Members

I've always wondered, after PC was canceled, what would happen if ABC had moved the entire lineup a half hour ahead to start with CBS's lineup? Because I think it's kind of convenient right now that Y&R and B&B are feeding off that half hour jumpstart. By the time 1:30 rolls around, viewers could either stick around and watch B&B in its entirety, or come in half way through AMC, having missed out on the first half hour. Of course, watch a half hour show in its entirety makes sense. But... what if at 1:30, you're pulled into One Life... do you flip over to B&B or just continue to watch One Life because B&B's going to be over in another 15-20 minutes anyway?

I know there are multiple other factors involved, but still, it's easy to boast and brag about your numbers when you get a 30 minute head start.

• Members

Exactly! I'll never understand why ABC is so stupid and refused to move their line up around. CBS has always had success from "smart" scheduling. ABC on the other hand has not. They went through four 30 minute soaps failing that occupied the 12:30 EST time period since 1975. Did it ever occur to them that maybe the failure is their 3 hour block preventing the success of another soap? They should have kept AMC at 12:30 in 1975 when they made it a lead in for Ryan's Hope and then moved Ryan's Hope to 1:30 when AMC expanded to 60 minutes in 1977.

• Members

Having been inside OLTL's studio, I give them MAJOR props for how they are producing the show now. Their studio isso tiny and you'd never know it based on the sets we see on air. They are brilliant in how they will truck in a big set and use it for a ton of episodes that are all shot in the same day or a couple of days.

Back to the reason for this thread, it doesn't make sense that only AMC would move to L.A. OLTL's studio is even smaller than AMC's.

• Members

Nothing ABC does makes any sense at all anymore. But that's besides the point because I'm pretty certain this is all just another rumor. Just like the rumor that ABC was "this close to canceling AMC" or that they "were this close to not renewing AMC." :rolleyes:

• Members

Adding my voice to the chorus. I will never understand why ABC did not move its soap line up to start at 12:30 p.m. The only reason I could think of is that they have been afraid that GH's ratings would suffer if it did not start at 3:00 p.m. by which time the kids got home from school.

Archived