AMC: RUMOR about the show possibly moving production to LA

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There're a few problems with this that may have been discussed in house but clearly not addressed in this "rumor."

1. Where would All My Children be produced? There's no such thing as ABC Television Center in Hollywood anymore. GH tapes at the former site which is now under different owners, while AMC tapes at ABC TV-NY which is OWNED by ABC. So the production would still have to either rent or lease studio space which COSTS MONEY.

2. Even though GH is based in LA, they still truck in sets. Even when it was ABC Television Center, their warehouse was 10 miles away.

3. An entire cast of 30 is supposed to relocate?

4. I doubt it because the reason Ugly Betty moved from LA to New York was because of the fact that Bloomberg is offering tax breaks for productions shot in New York. AMC proudly sports the "Made in NY" at the end of each episode. Clearly, they're getting the benefits of being produced out of New York.

• Members

This is a crock of ish. Especially about OLTL not creating "legacy" characters as AMC has.

Umm...I'm not even a fan of ABC soaps, anymore, but OLTL.......right now....has Viki, Todd, Dorian, Bo, Blair, etc....

and AMC has....ummmmmm..........Erica? That's about it. You might add Tad....but Alicia Minshew's Kendall? Nahhh. Thorsten Kaye's Zach? Nahhh. Jamie Luner's Liza? Nahhh. Not even Jesse/Angie, since they were pretty much AWOL for nearly 20 years. (Don't even talk to me about Cameron Mathison's Ryan, LOL, who is only on because Frons has a hard-on for this no-talent hack).

But...back to my point....OLTL actually has more "legacy" characters than AMC at this point....even AE's Tina was the biggest ABC star of the 80's.

This article, like much of DC's stuff, reeks of an agenda, and not of any basis in reality.

• Members

I actually agree with them on that. I think people are more familiar with characters from AMC and GH than they are with OLTL.

Anywho what difference will this make overall if Pratt, Frons are still there? Nothing will have changed but the location

• Members

I'm sorry but outside of the soap world OLTL is unknown whereas Susan Lucci is a recognizable actress and her character is well known. GH is the stable due to the Luke and Laura era and AMC probably have the most recognizable actors outside of the soap industry.

If moving to LA gives them a longer shelf life then they should go for it.

• Members

Let's not even go there.

If they've heard of AMC, they've probably heard of OLTL.

If they haven't heard of OLTL, they probably haven't heard of AMC.

This DC article is a joke, and completely false.

Anyone with half a brain realizes that ABC will cancel all three of their soaps at once, since not one of them stands out in any key ratings category at this point.

So why let this DC article induce arguing among the fans of any of the three shows?

It's like they post a bogus article, wait for the fans to take sides/gang up on each other, and then enjoy the result.

Just let if effing go, lol.

The ABC soaps are all toast....likely within 5 years....and they will be toast together.

• Members

Susan Lucci is, and will always be, a joke...both inside and outside the soap industry.

She's a "name," but nothing more. NO ONE in or outside daytime thinks she ever deserved an Emmy, nor thinks she could've succeeded outside of daytime. (Her many failures include a recurring role on DALLAS, some ABC primetime TV movies, etc).

Like I said, let's not make this an "us vs. them" issue, which is clearly what the loons at DC are hoping for, if only to try to be relevant for a change.

• Members

Get over "myself"?

Get a grip, buddy.

I'm actually of the opinion that talent doesn't really matter that much in "making it" in primetime. In fact, plenty of "no talent hacks" have proven that.

But Susan Lucci?

She's a punchline.

Because she's well-known...AND completely untalented.

• Members

It does sound like propaganda to me, especially the part about GH being the most "proven brand". Not for many years now, and if they are going overbudget, than what does all that legacy do? The same goes for AMC.

I do agree that AMC HAD more legacy characters. Emphasis on HAD. With the exception of Erica, they are all gone now. All the teary memories of the past, but if Susan Lucci had not taken huge pay cuts, would AMC even be on the air now? There's no way moving to LA would buy AMC time. It would just be a bloated, expensive, creatively dead show suddenly based on another coast.

It's one of the most slanted articles I've read. It sounds like total pushback to their ratings and critical freefall. Hey, these shows still rock, so they're going nowhere.

• Members

I don't believe this. No soaps in recent history have changed filming locations, it's not at all practical. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the last soap was to move production? I know it must have been one decades ago.

Archived