AMC: RUMOR about the show possibly moving production to LA

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want to see it too. I hear she was really good and Phil Hartman couldn't keep a straight face because she was so damn funny. She really is good at comedy. I'm shocked ABC didn't develop a comedy pilot for her back in the 80s.

• Members

When Susan walked into that airport chapel, the AMC fans in the audience EXPLODED. SO funny, she was really really good, I think the Lucci dissenters need to see her work on SNL to really "get" what Erica and Susan's portrayal of her is (was, really) all about.

• Members

She was funny on SNL...but only because she played Erica the same way she did on AMC, lol. NO difference. What was funny was that AMC had just aired her praying for Bianca to live on AMC in a chapel, and now she was praying for her luggage to be found.

But the performances were the same.....EXACTLY the same.

In fact, every role Lucci has ever played (from her character on DALLAS to every TV movie she's done) has been played the same way she would play Erica if the scene were written for her AMC character.

And since when is name recognition all there is? I realize nowadays, in our reality-TV 15-minutes-craving society, "fame" seems to be something more aspire to than being famous for talent, but I doubt the really "good" actors in daytime who act for their craft (and there are fewer and fewer) would trade places with SL at the expense of their talent. And yet....I can see Susan Lucci wanting to trade places with someone as vapid as Paris Hilton in a nanosecond.

Lucci has never been about anything but "fame." She's never been a good actress, and she never will be. She can't even play herself on a talk show, lol. She has never come across as sincere on any talk show; instead, she comes across as a total put-on fake.

I'll never forget back in the 80's when TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes did a prank on her where she showed up to the Today show to find out that since she was "late," they had gotten someone to "stand in" as her on the show, being interviewed in sunglasses. Her husband was with her (and in on the joke), and she completely lost it, lol. The piece was so heavily edited because she was cursing up a storm. At one point, they cut the sound and pulled way back on the shot, and you could see her arms flailing all over the place as she reamed the poor "assistant" who had broken the news to her.

It was the one and only time on TV I've seen anything close to her without her facade on. And it was priceless :D

• Members

But that's my point! :lol: I'm not saying that she's Meryl Streep, but I think too often people miss that Susan's "in on the joke." She brought a lot of humor to Erica, hell, AGNES NIXON brought a lot of humor to Erica, Susan was just playing what Mrs. Nixon put on the page, and she did it in such an effortlessly OTT way that Erica was just so outrageous and endearing... total predecessor to all of these petulant, self-centered reality show b*tches like Tiffany "New York" Pollard who everyone loves to hate (or just hates).

Erica is her "brand", that's who she gets hired to play in the bulk of her outside projects. The character is working for her at this point.

And OF COURSE I remember the infamous chapel scene, I know why they were laughing! :P BUT, wouldn't you agree that she was excellent in that scene?

No arguments here though when it comes to her always being "on" in interviews. She's loosening up more and more, but I think she fancies herself as kinda old school, back when interviews were completely scripted and image was everything. I would love to see her on that old Bloopers and Practical jokes, that sounds hilarious. It's weird though, when people get "real" with her like on TMZ (I was watching a clip where the paparazzo was calling her a GILF to her face) I totally cringe. I feel like my Susie can't handle the down and dirty real world. But she can, no doubt there's a shrewd no holds barred Susan that she saves for when the cameras are off... like in that episode of Bloopers you described. :lol: Maybe all that cussing is why Dick Clark tried to cut her Emmy speech. :P

• Members

I don't know how in the world this turned into the Susan Lucci thread but whatever. :) I think she is a genuine person. I'll admit, she does come off as extremely polite and says thank you a lot. But I think that's what's wrong with the world today, we have forgotten how to be polite to each other. :)

Where's DaytimeFan? DaytimeFan always has an opinion when it comes to La Lucci.

• Members

Livia's thinking, "Girl, you know these Episcopalians weren't ready for that..." As a person of African-American ancestry, let me just say that it isn't a funeral until somebody carries on and throws themself on the casket. I find nothing unusual, Emmy baity, or particularly funny about this clip. Erica, you got nothin' on my aunt Barbara, try crawling into the grave and we'll talk. :P

Archived