AMC: RUMOR about the show possibly moving production to LA

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Add me to that list of people who always felt she never deserved an Emmy. She was nominated so many times because she was in a lead role, but she lost so many times because she is overly dramatic to the point where it's so pathetic, you gotta turn her off.

Furthermore, I think this whole AMC to LA is a bunch of crap. It ain't goin nowhere other than off the air with the rest of ABC daytime in a couple of years.

• Members

And incur those moving costs? Agreed. AMC and OLTL will probably be end of 2010/beginning of 2011, and GH will be late 2011 because they'll use their marketing gurus' suggestion that it's "a brand". (I totally agree with that part of the article - that's SOOOO how ABC/Disney thinks of its entertainment)

• Members

If that's the case then she would have had 19 wins by 1999 :lol:

ETA: Isn't it cheaper in Canada to produce a show than in NYC or LA, so why not just consider moving it there if moving the show was an option, but it's fiscally not! Silly ABC :rolleyes:

• Members

More BS from DC. I can't believe that anyone would take this crap seriously. Only out of touch with reality Jamey Giddens could write that with a straight face. No way can AMC be moved to LA. It is not financial feasible, period. No way would this save money. ABC would not waste the time and energy when its soaps are on the edge of collapsing as things stand.

Everyone that I know, knows Susan Lucci. No one thinks that she is some great actress, but they know that she plays the bitchy Erica that people love to hate. Eric Braden is also a name people recognize as TGVN. Jack Wagner is big from his Melrose Days. They know Kelly Monaco from DWTS (apparently everyone watches that show except me) and have a vague memory of Tony Geary, but everyone else from daytime might as well as be invisble.

• Members

Absolutely.

Definitely not true. I'm sure there are many people who have heard of Lucci/Erica/AMC that have no idea what the f.uck OLTL is.

Another fallacy.

Well you're on the right path with that one.

Ok now THIS makes absolutely NO sense. Have you ever heard of, in the history of daytime, a network cancelling their entire lineup at once?!? That's ludicrous! Of course they're not going to dump 3 shows and give themselves 3 hours to fill with new sh!t that will likely fail. Hell, even NBC only cancelled their soaps one at a time! There's a pecking order at ABC and that's one thing the article has right- OLTL will go first, then AMC, and GH will be the last soap standing.

But, in reality, I see ABC sticking with their soaps for a while yet anyway.

• Members

Pretty much. If people don't recognize Eric Braeden's name, they definitely know his face. The moustache! People know Jack Wagner, but they might not know of his experience in soaps. Kelly Monaco and Cameron Mathison both benefited a whole lot from being on DWTS, and Tony Geary is pretty unrecognizable unless he has a crazy perm. The only other people that I can think of are Shemar Moore and Victoria Rowell, who, if they're not knowing by the general non-soap-watching public, are definitely known by the black non-soap-watching public. Same with Debbi Morgan (but Darnell Williams, not so much).

I honestly can not think of a single character or long-term OLTL performer who has a name that you can go up to random people on the street and mention and get a decent response out of. Viki and Dorian, as much as we love them, are not that popular.

• Members

The tax break for film/tv production runs out next year. It was supposed to run out this year but was extended. NY has already lost the TV show Fringe which relocated it production to Vancouver and there are no pilots scheduled to be shot in NYC this year compared with 19 last year, according to the last article I read on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, I think the DC rumor is utter garbage but I just wanted to put this info out here because it shows that the NYC stars and crew have few alternatives available to them if they aren't willing to move for other jobs. There's only so many Law & Order guest spots to go around.

• Members

I have to say, I don't think the entire story is total garbage. Whether or not it's in serious discussion at the Mouse House is debatable, but I've heard from a few people that there are a lot of "what-if" scenarios being tossed around regarding what the ABC-Daytime line-up will look like by the end of next year, and where they can cut their production costs dramatically. While I don't think an LA move or a canceled soap or anything that drastic is happening tomorrow, I am hearing a lot of buzz that there are various "what if we do this" conversations taking place. I think some of those conversations probably leaked out to DC, even if they're just "what if" talks, and nothing concrete or definite. It doesn't mean the option wasn't tossed around, or isn't still being tossed around for that matter.

A lot of these conversations take place all the time, and never leak out. It's like when writers sit around a table, and wonder "What if we kill this character?" or "What if we pair these two?", and the idea immediately gets squashed, but somehow it leaks out that somebody even brought it up in the first place, and suddenly it's written in stone. I wouldn't put too much stock in it, but I wouldn't say it's completely without some foundation in truth either.

• Members

I think my fav part of the article is the idea that apparently, there's not a union in CA. BWAHHH!!

I do love how this rumor keeps coming up. And I love even more DC missed the memo that ABC still has other things in that building and moving AMC would just leave empty space and nothing more.

Archived