Y&R: How would you improve it?

• Members

Which is why I don't understand how they can have Nikki and Paul together in a romance and waste all these flashbacks from their youth. Does EB have it in his contract that the only flashbacks of young Melody have to involve him? As a viewer why should I invest my time, when the writers won't invest theirs?

Personally, I think the show should just give a 20% pay cut to everyone across the board. And dump characters they have no use for. Singling out the women, while letting these over-hyped male stars keep their salaries, is insulting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good point! I have a favorite flashback too. It was over Christmas break. Nikki and Paul broke into a swimclub locker room, and they went skinny dipping. Except, then the men's swim team came in, and they had to hide. It was shot on location.

Another favorite is from the New World cult. I'd love to see the scenes when Nikki drew Paul in.

I'd also love to see one of those endless scenes where Paul tried to convince Nikki not to marry Greg.

All that would add texture to the current story.

• Members

You're right, of course. But it literally hurts to see it written out like that. MY GOD! A pair whose story started 30 years ago...finally coming together...it could have been like ATWT Kim-Bob in the 1980s...or even better.

Instead...this. Two dayplayers who have all their meetings at Crimson Lights.

• Members

I remember how I liked his support of her during Kay's death and David Chow's death.

What I don't like is that I feel this is less of a writing thing, and more of a "penny wise, pound foolish". Low guarantees for high-paid players.

EVERYONE they keep should have a high guarantee. And all others should be removed from the canvas (unless they're supporting, like Esther).

• Members

But this storyline was started long before the contract troubles, so it's not all about money at all. They just neglected Nikki and Paul, with half of the cast. As you've pointed out, MAB and company can only seem to write for a select group of limited characters, but not a broader canvas.

• Members

^LOL! Maria had some nice moments at the beginning of the year. However, most of her first year on this show was a boring and aimless disaster, and I do not like the current "shock" and "awe" with no substance storytelling that's been plaguing this show for the past few months. I'm sure MAB's heart is in the right place, but I do not perceive her to be a storyteller or one that is competent enough to handle the challenges or writing and guiding this show.

Of course it's different for everyone, but I think a lot of us are just fed up with the problems on this show that aren't adequately being addressed, which I think was CSF's purpose for creating this thread.

• Members

Exactly, that is my main goal for this thread. I want people to just give their comments and their feedback. Hopefully people at Y&R will see this and I'm not saying this is going to work, but it's a start. They can take the constructive criticism and look at what they are doing that's turing viewers off and try to fix that. Some may say they like the dark stories and some may not. There are ways Y&R can blend the two together.

Archived