Y&R: Update to Adam and Rafe Rumor

• Members

Carl you are so very right. MAB had countless opportunities to develop the friendship between Rafe & Adam. Or how about a scene with Rafe/Adam/Estella (before Estella was fired) where Estella picked up on Rafe's crush and mentioned it? The idea of Rafe maybe having a crush should have been set up a long time ago.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I can certainly understand people feeling that characters have been dumbed down to sell this story. I feel there has been a lot of dumbing down and character assassination all around. I think anyone of us could "drive a semi" through the holes in this plot. Why doesn't Victor realize his son is smart enough and cunning enough to pull this scheme off? Why doesn't Victor have guards and cameras everywhere? Why hasn't Ashley gone to the Abbot mansion? Why hasn't Victor moved Ashley to a private estate in France? Why hasn't Victor made everyone take a lie detector test? Why hasn't Heather realized that Adam is not connecting to her the way he used to? Why would Hope's son ever do these things to an innocent woman?

I guess I just feel Rafe falling for Adam's lies is not the weakest link in this story. :lol: And I think Rafe comes across as an innocent victim in this mess. And he actually comes off as more sympathetic to me than either Ashley or Heather because they are both so smug/snooty at times.

• Members

Not defending Branco, but within 24 hours of Muhney's starting, he professed "feelings" for Rafe, and upthread it is implied that within one episode after that, even more is "simulated" or "intimated". It actually lends credence to Branco, rather than take it away.

I am fully willing to accept that Engen had multiple reasons for leaving, but the precise timing of this departure certainly suggests that the "intimacy" with Rafe was part of it. We still don't know whether that was due to "gayness" or due to "I'm using a guy's feelings for my own devious ends"...so I'm not suggesting we can support Branco's interpretation...but it seems that the "Rafe" story was part of the mix that led to his resignation.

• Members

I wouldn't be surprised if this story with Rafe is a reason why he left, but the reason NB's comments are judged more harshly is because that original report seemed to suggest the Rafe kiss was the main reason, and also said he did all kinds of other things like repeatedly calling in sick which the actor denies, and no one else at Y&R has confirmed.

I'm starting to hope that Rafe is playing Adam. That we don't actually see most of Rafe's reaction when he calls Adam may be a good sign. I'm just sorry for people who thought this was going to be some great sexual story, people who were saying before it even started that this was going to show Nuke what a gay story is about, and so on. I don't think that's ever what the story is going to be about, or about Rafe and his search for happiness. Hopefully, in the context of a thriller, this will still be interesting drama, and perhaps we can have an end where Rafe and Heather work together to trap Adam.

• Members

I agree with this, and share your hopes about Rafe.

I think the real gay story might follow...but I don't think this is it... And I still think Rafe's nonchalant announcement of his sexuality is a nice template for how to do this. He had a nice, light "friend" chemistry with Colleen. Too bad that got dropped.

• Members

You are defending Branco. There is nothing lends credence to what Branco said. You are supporting Branco's interpretation and twisting the events to support him. Branco said there was a gay kiss. It was the crux of his article.

• Members

Ann... Branco was ABSOUTELY right, didn't you read Errol's original post? Errol just SAID he has seen a clip from an upcoming eppy with Adam and Rafe kissing. Considering the way this show is shot, most likely, an entire week or MORE of Adam's bedroom scenes were shot on Muhney's first day or two. Giving complete credence to Branco's assertion that Engen left because of the KISS, we just won't see the kiss for a few days, or maybe a week or so. Considering the way episodes are shot today, and budget constraints... they shoot an entire week's worth of scenes or MORE all at once, on a particlar set... because it takes time to get a set ready for shooting, setup for lighting, blocking, etc.. it amkes shooting much more cost efficient.

Archived