Y&R: Update to Adam and Rafe Rumor

• Members
He's hiding a piece of his sexuality, something he is sexually willing to do, from others and from his own girlfriend.

Does Heather know he has bisexual tendencies, even if it is for personal gain and not for pleasure? I don't know too many women, metropolitan or otherwise, who would appreciate something like that being kept from them.

It IS a coming out story. Eventually someone will find out about Adam/Rafe and Adam, who is leading this double life, will have to admit that he slept with Rafe.

And how do we know he ISN'T bi? Lots of guys who have sex with men on a regular basis say they're not gay or bi that they are only straight, but does that make it so?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess we just see it differently.

He isnt hookinh up with adam for fun or because he is attracted to him. He is [!@#$%^&*] him to further his agenda. Doiesnt make him gay, doesnt make him bi, doesnt even make him curious. I know plent of gay men who have fucked women, doesnt make them str8. doesnt make them bi. doesnt make them curious.

I dont think admitting to [!@#$%^&*] someone is a coming out story.

I guess we dont know if he is or isnt bi, but it hasnt been showen that way. Its clear, to me anyways, that the nly reason he is doing it is to protect himself and further his agenda.

Sexuality isnt based on whom you [!@#$%^&*]; its who you are attracted too.

• Members

Y&R's very first same sex story should have been between two gay people. They could have given Rafe a boyfriend for a few months, then they break up, and THEN Rafe is vulnerable to Adam. Making this story the first same sex story is in poor taste. The whole show in poor taste though so it's of a piece.

• Members
Yikes. Well isn't ***k a synonym for sex?

I'm hating on this story because of Maria making promises to the press that she cannot deliver. And not only about this story, but about everything.

She wanted to take us out of the "wonky" directions of the stories from the previous regime(LML). Well, what do you call another go-round of Nick/Phyllis/Sharon/Jack? A loser character like Deacon Sharpe coming to Genoa City? This boring art story?

And the Adam/Rafe thing is just icing on the cake. Maria said she's bored of the "coming out story." Well what the hell do you call this? It's a new spin on it, but it's still the same washing machine.

• Members

I see both sides, but who we're in 2009 now. I don't care for Y&R to take the slow conservative approach even if its there first story. I would eventually like to see Rafe get a boyfriend, but I don't mind the way the story was introduced. At least right now it's miles better than GH's Lucas.

• Members
But that's not sensational enough! Two interesting gay people, secure in each other, in love and not just baking cookies, hugging each other in public and in private in lieu of a kiss, jumping up and down on the bed, and uttering crap like "I'm so glad we waited."

• Members

Not really. I loved the way MAB handled Rafe revealing he was gay. Everybody was speculating for weeks, and it happened in such a nonchalant and tasteful way like it should be. I don't think MAB is putting a spin on anything. When people hear "coming out" they think Luke/Noah, or Bianca from AMC, not what Adam is doing. The story is doomed anyway, cause I really don't see Y&R audience giving a damn about this no matter how it's introduced. Time will tell I guess.

• Members

I would have just settled for Rafe being someone we slowly got to know and care about, and who had some type of motivations and purpose. The way the story is now, I think in some way is more conservative than if we had known Rafe and seen him develop, because this way, viewers can just see being gay as something shocking, or wrong, or as something that makes you weak. The viewer can be so disconnected from the story that they can still feel comfortable with a negative view of homosexuality.

• Members

I dunno. Honestly, Y&R is still miles above other soaps, and its current problems are like picking nits in comparison with, say, ATWT or GH (or Days, which is really frigging overrated these days, being no better than it was during the end of JER's final run, IMO). That doesn't mean it doesn't suck in a lot of ways, though. That being said, I don't think everyone would be happy with ANY gay story. At all. Why should it be completely well-told and non-exploitive when no other stories seem to be?

• Members

I suspect he's straight as an arrow. He's just f*cking to get away with something. Dudes do in prison all the time. They're not gay. They're holding their nose and using the most convenient receptacle.

In this case, it is not even a need for sexual release. It is about disarming a potential threat. This is NOT a gay story. Or a bi story. And I won't believe it is until I see that it is. I think this is another beautiful red herring. People are keeping their eyes on Adam for the "gay" story, but I'll bet the real gay story is around the corner, and has nothing to do with Adam.

The notion that Adam might f*ck Rafe just to shut him up...I'm loving that idea with everything!

To use a MUCH MUCH overused phrase around here, "Amen"!

Why do people keep calling this Y&R's very first same sex story?

Katherine and Joanne, 1976-1977.

As a reminder, here is what Sara Bibel wrote:

THAT's the first gay story.

I agree about Rafe. I honestly think that part of this story is the initial victimization of Rafe.

Through that, if he plays truly hurt, we'll start to care about him. And from that, we'll be ready for genuine love to enter his life. And THAT, I think, with the "genuine love" being a member of a core family, will be the real story.

• Members

Yeah, and that "first" gay story is accused of tanking the show's ratings, who is to say that won't happen now, especially when some gays already do not like this storyline as well?

As for Rafe shutting up because of Adam f.ucking him? Blech. He's shutting up while his aunt, who he says is practically like a mother to him, is rotting away in prison? How heartless and ungrateful can he be in this situation? He's apparently known Estella all his life and they're obviously very close, and Rafe has been nothing but an upstanding and ethical guy so far. I hate this total 180 and I find it hard to believe that anyone would do that to their family, not even for a crush or for great sex.

That's the big problem with Y&R these days, they dumb a whole bunch of characters down to fit a storyline.

Archived