Y&R: Episodes Discussion for the week June 22

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I watched MM's first episode again in hopes that I would like him..and I mean he's a good actor, he's just not Adam to me. His look is just too harsh. CE's look and demeanor was a lot of what made me an Adam fan in a situation in which I shouldn't like a character..Someone mentioned I think a few months ago that CE has a TSJ appeal to him and I totally agree...I guess I at least have Mary Jane to still root for?

• Members

I think MM has an appeal much closer to TSJ. CE was all American Psycho in my book. It surprises me that so many people see CE as the softer actor. I feel the exact opposite. With CE I felt Adam had turned into a sociopath who didn't feel anything at all.

• Members

You're right about American Psycho. CE looked softer but he did not sell softness. His shtick was poison in a glass of milk. Very in the vein of Christin Bale in AP or Tony Perkins in Psycho. His Adam radiated evil and conflicted. MM reminds me a bit of Ed Harris or Kevin Spacey and his Adam is harder on the outside, and softer on the inside. He radiates crazy and confused. Both actors are "soft" but it depends on which level you are taking about. The surface or the level below. There is no wrong or right way to play a role. As fans, it's all subjective. I was obviously a huge fan of CE because I don't think I had ever seen his kind of psycho on daytime before. I have seen MM's kind of psycho before [hey, right now with Mary Jane!] BUT that doesn't mean that it can't work. We'll have to wait & see what happens.

• Members

The writing hasn't been there for Adam since day one. He's so poorly defined and they try to cover that up with rage and anger against Victor, and then they try a little too late to give him a shred of humanity like that scene on Friday with him talking to Hope.

Y&R doesn't do real character writing and development anymore, this writing regime certainly doesn't. It's one of the big reasons why I won't be watching come August.

• Members

I just don't see writing as the be all and end all of a soap opera. It's like my best friend, who thinks the singer is the only thing that makes a hit song, and I'm the opposite, I feel i'ts the production of the song, and the strength of the song itself. Adam's character may have had some weak development, but also one must look at people like Walton and Cooper who can take anything on the page, and make it sparkle. Some actors are good... and some are just on a different level altogether. When something doens't work on screen, it's not ALWAYS the writer's fault. Like the ranch scene the other day.. I couldn't determine WHOSE fault it was, but Mike Denney has to take some blame in that, and it PAINS me to say that, because noramlly I LOVE his work. I jsut think the writing, acting, and production are of equal importance in relation to each other.

• Members

Hi everyone! Newbie here. Just wanted to chime in on the current state of Y&R.....

First off I love the show. It's not perfect. There are things that could improve but overall I've very satisfied with what's going on and how things are progressing. I try to watch it at 4PM everyday and if I can't I definitely watch it online.

As far as the Adam storyline I think it started over very strong and it's still got potential but like others I find it very hard to see how Adam can get out of this ALIVE and with the possibility of finding true redemption. I mean I've loved Ashley/ED ever since I first saw her on the show. She's like the step mom I always wished I had. Fabulous, fierce, and intelligent to boot. Caring and sweet. To see her being tortured by Adam is really heartbreaking to me as a viewer. The fact that she's pregnant just makes it absolutely worse. I don't know what to believe or hope for. Regardless of what happened to the fetus/baby the bottom line is that Adam is responsible and once Victor finds out there will be hell to pay.

I just don't see how Adam survives this year. Only a miracle will save him.

As for who's playing Adam I REALLY liked CE and as a gay man I do not believe that he left because of the gay storyline or w/e that's coming up. I think he just simply didn't agree with the storyline and the direction. And he's absolutely entitled to his feeling and he has the right to speak out. I think the timing was bad and I'm sad that they couldn't work something out. He was great at portraying that boyish innocence quality that a guy like Adam should have. Everytime I looked at him and heard him speak I immediately got the feeling that here was someone who was ripped from his simple country boy life and thrown in a mess of a family and lifestyle. Like he couldn't believe that this is how his life ended up.

Yet MM does bring the IT factor to Adam. I don't know what Adam is going to do next and I LOVE IT. For all of CE positives he pales in comparision to MM. Besides the fact that MM is hot (in his own rough edgy way) he plays subtle like there's no tomorrow. The way he touched Heather yesterday. The head placed on her belly. The way he carassed Rafe's face on Friday....wow. I just don't see CE pulling that off and making it credible. And MM seems even more calculating that CE did playing Adam.

That being said I hope Adam survives. The character has way too much potential to just be ruined. The same goes for MJ. There HAS to be a way for both characters to stay on the canvas. They are by far the most intriguing characters on Y&R right now.

The Quad I'm loving to death right now. I know some are tired of it but I love Phyllis, Jack, and Nick (when he's not being a dick) and I think it's absolutely great drama going on right now.

Bring on Kevin and Amber please. I'm SO TIRED of stupid Daniel and his dumb logic. I swear I sometimes doubt this child is really the son of Red.

Katherine/Jill/Nina = Amazing! The whole kidnapping storyline from a few weeks ago ended excellently. Those scenes at Murphy's cabin when Jill realized that it was Katherine was bone tingling! The way Katherine said, "I'm coming back Jill...Oh yes I'm COMING BACK! Back to my family....back to my life...and there's not a damn thing you can do about it!" Just simply amazing. I can't wait to see if Nina is right about Cane. He's gotta go asap.

Anyways that's all I've got now. MAB seems to have a good heart and really cares for the show so I hope she succeeds and that Y&R gets better in the next few months.

• Members

WELCOME!!!!!

So glad to have a new voice here - and yeah, I know a bunch of us throw down with each other, but we have nothing but respect - I swear. It might not seem like it at times, but I love these SON folks. Hope you keep posting here "LoA"!

• Members

Why was there no build up to Rafe/Adam? Even a few scenes of Rafe coming to visit his friend would have been sufficient although having those scenes and some lustful glances would make this believable. The more I see of this it leads me to think they saw the crap that was coming out of the pens and were just looking for something else to blame for this upcoming ratings crash.

I wish someone would be cleaning the fireplace and be surprised to find a bunch of fetal bones. Maybe they would jump to the conclusion that Noah or someone is killing kittens and hiding the evidence but it would be something.

I hope Noah goes through with his divorce. Sharon and Nick are horrible role models and always have been. Hopefully in the end Sharon and Nick will wind up losing custody due to her unaddressed psychosis and the kid will wind up in foster care. When she suggested going to family therapy I almost fell off my chair. Would she get up and walk out once the psychiatrist hits on something she doesn't want to discuss?

• Members

I think actors can only do so much. Jess Walton can't really wring much out of scenes where we are invited to laugh at Jill for losing all her money and going to work filing nails. Jeanne Cooper couldn't do very much when she spent years only having scenes to talk to Danny, or Nikki about their problems.

I think there are a number of veteran actors who have checked out mentally because they don't understand or don't like the material. I think this is one of many reasons the Adam story has fallen flat. The show seems to be very plot-driven at the moment and the actors sometimes look lost.

To comment on other posts, people were saying the show was brilliant only months ago, so I can't just say the Era of Greatness is over and go along with the stuff the show is putting out at the moment. They can do better. They have more luxuries than a lot of soaps, even with the franchise fee cut.

Archived