Y&R: Episodes Discussion for the week June 22

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, i think so.

Mark, I think it's Option A. B and C don't work because this script was written months ago, long before they even knew they would have to recast.

And I agree - it was a really awkward monologue. Their intentions were in the right place, but it was really clunky. I hate people talking to themselves anyway on soaps. The only thing I hate more is when we hear their thoughts (e.g. JER). I accept it as a necessary evil sometimes, but I can't stand it and think it's a terrible device.

Oh, they definitely couldn't do it without totally alienating fans. Believe me, I don't think they SHOULD do it - just in my perfect world, when they weren't trying to please millions of fans, I love the idea. But just because I like it, doesn't mean it's what's good for the show. LOL!

• Members

To be clear, I don't expect my hoped-for baby switch to happen :). And, in this era of widespread malcontent with the darkness of the show, it should not happen.

I must confess that one of my motivations, though, is to spare Ashley this hurt.

• Members

Aww, poor Ashley indeed. :(

I wish I knew when this whole thing will end. This miscarriage is really sad. I don't think I'll be able to stomach the future scenes where Ashley's belly continues to grow and she thinks her water breaks and conceives nothing. Is that gonna be when people believe that she was in fact crazy and no one was gas-lighting her? When this hysterical pregnancy comes to light and no baby is produced?

Aww man, this miscarriage portion of the gaslighting needs to end soon. Let's get on to Rafe already, please.

brimike, it does suck for TPTB to consider the audience when writing anything, but it seems they're doing that anyway since all of these shocking situations cannot be done because they were inspired. There had to be outside pressure and influences.

free-mad-smileys-264.gif

• Members

I honestly think MAB/HS/SH just got caught up in the twistedness of the whole story, and forgot who their audience was. I'm not excusing it, but I understand how it happens. They come up with the idea of the gaslighting story, which in its original form, I have no problems with whatsoever. They talk about Adam's role in it, about framing Estella, about using AShley's history with Robert, Sabrina's death and how AShley/Victor reunited before he put Sabrina behind him, etc. It was a perfect idea for the story. And then as they were figuring out the rest of the year, they got caught up in the excitment, the thrill, the tragedy of it all. It's juicy, it's scandalous, it's thrilling, it's suspenseful - and before they know it, they've completely gone too far to the dark side. Which would have been fine if this were a Jackie Collins novel. But it's not - it's a soap run watched by wives and mothers (neither of which I am, but like I said, I fully realize that what I might like is NOT what might be good for the show on a whole). And once you start harming children, it turns a lot of people off.

That being said, I'm excited for the Summer story. But that's just me. I'm just a sucker for good performances, and I think Stafford, Case, Bergman, and Haiduk will kick some serious ass in the next few weeks. But I'm not the intended demographic. And TPTB forgot that when they got caught up in their long story. They needed to write for their audience.

• Members

Right, but since Nick's the father, they slept together twice - once in late Feb and once in early march. And AShley was six weeks pregnant in late Feb. So Ashley/Sharon's due dates are only a month/five weeks apart. Sharon just didn't find out she was pregnant until she was three months along. All that blacking-out and kleptomania must have done a number on her menstral cycle. Or so she thought...

• Members

IMO, TPTB have ruined the Quad, Victor, Ashley, and especially Mary Jane and Adam because of (MY SPEC NOT A SPOILER) an upcoming baby switch. They are writing to a plot point and not caring what kind of damage they do the characters. Why else have they turned MJ and Adam into a would be baby killer and an actual baby killer? Why else are Victor and Ashley so very stupid? It's annoying and insulting to the audience.

Archived