Y&R: Episodes Discussion for the week June 22

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not as an actor. I just don't see him as a fit for Adam. Fake Adam? Yes. Real Adam? No.

I meant, I can see the stuff from real life (Engen fiasco and him jumpin on board in a record time) clearly show in his performances. As if he's saying to the viewers in-the-know: Wow, I so love this, I so love I got this, blah, blah. It totally distracts me, I can see his satisfaction of being given the job, real life interferes with the role he's supposed to be playing.

• Members

I think people wanted the motivations months ago. For them to come long after the fact, and for them to make little sense compared to his actions (he says he regrets Ashley's suffering, when they repeatedly showed Adam smirking and almost giddy about the torment he was putting her through), it doesn't work as well.

• Members

Ashley either expelled the fetus & Adam burned it OR Ashley is carrying a dead fetus (HUGE health risk). Either way, Adam comes out evil. It's is logical to assume that out of both terrible scenarios, we are dealing with the former because of ED's comments and Dr. Taylor's apparent unconcern that she's at risk for some type of toxic shock.

I've seen him on Veronica Mars. This is MM's style. He's animated and slightly campy (not meant as an insult -- it's a perfectly valid approach to the material). He's not your guy if you want understated naturalism, but that's fine because that's not what MAB wants. Clearly this more animated style is what they're looking for. This is MAB's vision for the character and it is in line with her vision of the show. In the long run, I think the recast will work out because too many fans (like me) were upset to see an inherently sympathetic Adam become do depraved and demonic. Now, with a fresh face with a more theatrical & therefore distancing style, he can be more of a fun villain like David Kimble or Sheila Carter and we can enjoy his downfall without any mixed feelings. MM's style is VERY similar to Stacey Haiduk's actually. With the recast, I really see Adam & Mary Jane now as two peas in a psychotic pod, very cut from the same cloth.

Carl, I think this was a factor in CE's quitting/the recast/MM's hiring. CE choose to emphasize the sadism in Adam, not the insanity. With the monologue & the recast, they can make Adam less evil & more crazy. I think we're being set up for the classic brain tumor defense! ;)

• Members

When would he have had time to do this? Nikki was pounding at the door, and Adam was in a rush to clean things up. I think these writers want us to accept that this fetus just disappeared and that Ashley is no longer carrying around her dead baby, but Adam didn't dispose of the fetus in the towel which by the way Nikki handled.

We are supposed to be these masses of viewers who buy anything they dole out for shock and drama. Could they do what you suggest now that they realize we are not idiots but many of us are women who understand how miscarriages work? Sure, but it would be just like the scene of Adam confiding in Hope's picture admitting he never wanted Ashley to lose her baby. Too late to mean anything.

• Members

This would have been a good story. Still would have sacrificiced Adam, but I don't see the writers getting out of that at this point without sending him offscreen for awhile ala Michael Baldwin.

You see you came up with this story in how long? You thought of the beats of the story and what would make good soap opera drama. So why can't these professional writers do the same thing? I know it isn't easy cranking out so much story day after day, but come on it shouldn't be as difficult as they are making it look now.

• Members

Greg, the hurt puppy strategy doesn't work on B!tch Board Deluxe v3.0, such as SON. We all love SON 'cause people will accept no sh!t from soaps or other people. How many participants from this thread threatened to go only to come back as if nothing? Hysterical.

Yes, I agree and it fits very well with a possible impostor story.

• Members

What's the point of having two Y&R threads when the same sh-t is posted in both?

Sorry, but you don't see the other soaps doing that for the PROS/CONS of their soaps. Shouldn't there just be one central thread in the Love/Hate section instead of this stupidity?

• Members

I thought the monologue was a belated attempt to try to reestablish the idea of Adam being weak and pathetic. Ever since Sabrina's murder last year, they have repeatedly written Adam as being weak, not knowing what he's doing, being in denial. I think that's supposed to be the main thrust of this story -- Adam being so pathetic that he has now targeted a woman and her baby, and is debasing himself with a man in order to cover up his lies. This started to lose focus because the story became more about constant sadism, attempts at shocking the viewers, and Adam became a bystander, the person who helped to facilitate the horrors, the plot device to make everyone else in the story stupid. They may be trying to pull the curtain closed again so viewers will be less focused on why the show is constantly peddling this nasty stuff, and more focused on seeing Adam as a crazy loser.

• Members

I think that scene made sense... aren't you watching this show? Engen's adam DID try to catch her as she fell, after she fell.. he ran down the stairs, and said... "Oh God... what have I done!" Just how do those two scenes not go together to show the viewer that while he was trying to drive Ashley to the nuthouse, his machinations went too far, and did more harm than he intended.

Archived