Y&R: Episodes Discussion for the week June 22

• Members

but is Nick really the father?? why would TIIC have the character of Sharon so destroyed morally for sleeping not only with her soon to be ex, but her soon to ex's younger brother (mutltiple times) and her very happily married ex husband multiple times, to have this spawn be Nick's, it's too easy, too "clean", and the other shoe has not dropped???

And like a group of SHICK fans are always SO prone to saying "we did not see the results of the test for a reason!!" ditto in this instance. Sharon is not the brightest bulb in the pack! and the DNA results in GC are always questionable!

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sharon wasn't exactly all that "moral" before this storyline either. Which is fine - I'm not complaining. I've always liked an immoral Sharon who somehow sees herself as some helpless innocent victim. This is how I like the character, personally.

LOL! True. The DNA clinic in Genoa City sucks big time. I'm still waiting for the day a writing team retcons Summer's paternity. You know that's guaranteed. It may be five years from now, but you know that'll happen.

But if MJ tampered with the results, don't you think she'd make Billy the father? This way, it drives Jack/Sharon apart, Nick goes back to Phyllis, and MJ has Jack all to herself? Making Nick the father is a threat to MJ since she thinks it means Phyllis and Jack could reunite.

• Members

Absolutely with everything!! Except I think they knew what they were doing when they went to the dark side and thought it'd be spectacular if Ashley lost another baby by the hands of Adam. I have a feeling the miscarriage was planned.

Now, if it wasn't, and they wrote this off the cuff, then this whole misstep would be somewhat excusable, on the one hand-- cause the miscarriage would've been somewhat of a fluke-- and downright pitiful on the other. If they don't have an entire storyline from beginning to end mapped out in their head-- which, with the pacing and character development problems, it seems like they don't-- then they really need to buckle down and do it.

I like the Summer storyline so far... except for the supposition I made about the imminent actions of the Quad which will apparently come to fruition next week.

free-confused-smileys-740.gif

• Members

Sharon is a slut and always has been, why the men in her life always give her a free pass is beyond me!

Having Summer, Nick's daughter forever ties Phyllis to Nick, years of storyline there!!! having Summer become Jack's makes no sense, Jack and Phyllis already have a tie in the child they lost together and Jack's son Kyle with Diane that Phyllis raised before Jack gave him back to Diane without talking to Phyllis first.

I think Billy IS the father, I do think MJ changed the results and Sharon's lie's to EVERYONE will set the next part of this arc in motion!

• Members

It must've been deliberate to see MJ plot the cancellation of the shoot so that Phyllis would leave Summer alone at the tack house because on Friday, Sharon tells Nick that the doctor had to cancel their appointment because he had an emergency c-section.

It's completely possible. I'd hate it though. I'd rather Sharon and Nick have a shred of happiness surrounded by chaos and frustration. I'm sick of watching people suffer and be victimized for no reason.

• Members

Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear. I definitely think the entire storyline was planned out in advance. I just think they threw around words like "miscarriage" and "gaslighting" and phrases like "MJ puts Summer in a coma" and "Adam wipes up the blood on the floor" in the planning stages without ever realizing what those words and phrases DO and MEAN to a soap opera viewer. I totally understand the instinct to show Adam wiping up the blood (Hello, "out, out damn spot"), but the average soap viewer isn't interested in watching "Blind Man's Lady MacBeth with a fetus".

• Members

Very good point. I LOVE violent TV shows. True Blood, Breaking Bad and Dexter are some of my favorites. Much worse things happen on those shows and it affects me in a completely different level than what happens on my soaps. Not to say that I don't feel for primetime characters, I do. But it just hits a lot closer to home when bad things happen to characters I've watched daily for years. Any soap writer who doesn't understand that, doesn't understand their audience at all.

• Members

EXACTLY! I love Dexter myself, and seeing them hose down a large ice cube with five fingertips trapped inside, all painted with different nail polish was delightfully disgusting! But I know I would NEVER want to see the Salem Serial Killer on Days do that, or Mary Jane do it to Sharon.

Which is why I think this story would play fine on a prime-time show. The story itself isn't a bad one. It's just a bad fit for the show, and the fans.

I think it's pretty positive. I know I'm a big Billy/Chloe fan. Like others have said (i forget who said it), they're making it way too obvious that Billy/Mac think they're a fairy tale. I definitely think they're putting them together only to break them up once and for all.

• Members

That's the problem with all the soaps today. Every writer is a frustrated wannabe prime-time auteur and the don't want to write a TRADITIONAL soap opera. The rules for a 5-day a week/52 weeks a year show are not the same for something that's on 1-day a week/22 weeks a year - or, in the case of cable, 13 weeks a year. True Blood, Dexter, the Sopranos and other cable shows can get away with being very violent and coarse because we're not watching them every day, for years at a time. If on True Blood, a vampire kills and feasts on a character we've known for 3 episodes, it cannot be compared to watching a 20+years character like Ashley being tortured horrifically. They are different genres and different rules apply.

Archived