Y&R: Episodes Discussion for the week June 22

• Members

I'm not sure I understand the question, but here's how I see Jack right now, as the writers have written him. Post-John's death, Jack's stepped up into the shoes of the patriarch of the family. He's still the Jack that will scheme against Victor (i.e., the diary and Adam), but in his newfound role as patriarch, he's discovering the joys of family. They've had scenes between Jack/John about this, so that's not fanwanking. He's in love with Sharon and wants to be with Sharon. I'm not sure if you're looking for a motivation over why he's in love with Sharon, but I never look for motivation why anybody falls in love with anybody else. Hell, I can't figure out why half my friends are in love with the people they're in love with. LOL! Anyway, Jack is in love with Sharon, but this is still the same cad who's more than happy to have a little fun. When Sharon left him, Jack did what Jack does - went out and had a little fun (too bad he picked the wrong person). He was upfront and said "We're just two adults having a good time", which was pretty honest for Jack. And MJ said she understood. (She didn't, but she was very clear to Jack that she knew it was nothing serious.) When Jack learned his wife wanted him back, he cut off ties with MJ.

Now he wants to step in, be the hero for Sharon. Raise this baby, no matter whose it is. But he knows Nick is always a threat (again, not fanwanking. We've seen Jack always know Sharon's love for Nick is a threat, so no matter how noble Jack is and how appreciative Sharon is, all Nick does is say "I love you, Sharon" and Sharon rushes to his side.) And there's nothing Jack can do about this, and it drives him nuts. So in typical Jack-fashion, he does the self-destructive thing and keeps schtupping Mary Jane on the side. (Which is interesting, since he's basically put Mary Jane in the position Diane was in back when Jack was married to Patty - as the other woman he's having fun with, but that's besides the point.)

The fanwanker in me also likes to think Jack wants to hit the "Restart" button on fatherhood since Keemo and Kyle aren't part of his life. But I won't go there - we're just talking about what the writers are showing on-camera. :D

I don't really see him as pathetic. I just see him as confused and flawed. But then again, I'm a big Jack Abbott fan so I'm a little biased. I understand Jack a HELL of a lot more than I understand Nick. If anybody can explain to me Nick's character right now, I'd be one happy puppy.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is totally true - just don't forget that when MM stepped into the role, the next eight or nine weeks of scripts after his first episode were already written (with CE in the role, in the writers' minds). So whatever change we see in Adam's character with the recast won't show up on-screen until the end of summer/beginning of fall.

• Members

I agree. I don't think I can ever believe Jack and Victor are being targeted in this because women and kids are a dime a dozen to Victor, and Jack has barely been in the story.

I thought CE played the part of a bitter, lost young man very well. I don't know if we're supposed to have sympathy for Adam, if MM is supposed to be playing a more sympathetic version, but after what he's done I think they won't go for sympathy. I think he's just supposed to be a weak man.

• Members

Agreed. I think we will see a change in the character's direction soon enough.

I do predict though that either Mary Jane or Adam will be killed off for a November murder mystery. Now that MJ poisoned Summer, she's going have a zillion enemies. Which one will bite the bullet though?

• Members

Rafe and Heather are so supplementary, anyway, and Bloom's been put on recurring (along with Marcille- probably to keep MTS on contract) so I doubt we'll see much of these two after this s/l is over. It's a shame for Rafe, because Gellman's really good, IMO, and it'd be nice to see a gay character on Y&R. Yes, just to see a gay character on Y&R.

I don't see his age difference from CE being a big issue. Look at Jack free-random-smileys-350.gif and Sharon dancing-baby.jpg

and Phyllis free-random-smileys-352.gif and Nickdancing-baby.jpg.

• Members

No, I agree with you. Why not just be critical in one thread, and still discuss episodes, instead of having two threads doing the exact same thing? It's pretty obvious that the weekly Y&R threads are not going to be a blissful place (and I'm fine with that, it shouldn't be), but having two threads doesn't make sense, when it's pretty much repeated here. Yes, the repetition is annoying "MAB and her cronies suck ad nausem," but then put that in the Love/Hate section.

• Members

I totally agree, Sylph. I said that in my original post too (which I'm too lazy to re-post now). The same two people post the same criticisms over and over again, and the same two people post the same defense arguments over and over again. And it's boring to read for thirty pages - the actual episode discussion got lost.

Like Greg'sGL said, I'm all for discussing and critiquing the shows on a day-to-day basis. What's working and what's not working. But reading 23 posts about how MAB isn't "a storyteller" and then 23 posts saying "the show is much better than anything else on daytime" and then another 18 posts about how "that doesn't mean it's good", and then another 16 about how it's better than LML or Kay Alden... anyway, you get the point. My personal preference is always to discuss the actual episodes. But I also understand the frustration with two threads, since Y&R is the only soap that has this right now.

• Members

This is my problem -- raise the baby even if it's Nick's?! WHAT THE WHAT?! Why? I understand Nick being willing to raise Jack's baby because Nick has "decided" that Sharon is real true love as of five minute ago. But Jack knows that Sharon's heart is with another and yet he still wants to raise another man's baby? WHAT? Why doesn't he just adopt a baby if he wants one so bad. It's ridiculous.

• Members

Ahhh - now I'm with you. Yeah, i got nothin'. LOL! Everything else makes sense to me, but yeah - they dropped the ball on explaining that part of it.

But other than that motivational flaw, I really do understand Jack in this quad. I even understand Phyllis and Sharon. But Nick - man, the writers really screwed up with him on this one. I can explain away the other three (well - except for the one thing you pointed out about Jack raising the baby if it's not his) - but I can't even try to fanwank Nick's character away right now. That's how bad it is.

Archived