Was Chris Engen Right about Y&R Plot

• Members

Sara Bibel's latest blog entry is a must read, particularly the paragraph about the latest Ashley haunting developments (miscarriage etc).

She rips the plot a new one. I love Y&R and it is the wonderful entertainment. But it has become purely plot driven over the last six months, moving at warp speed with a great deal of outlandish and illogical turns. And it's not just with Adam's plot. The show overall has felt more James Reilley/Passions than an updated, respectful, 21st Century Bill Bell show. It wouldn't be so alarming if they took outlandish liberties with one main plot and tried to stick to the Bell basics on others. But every plot is the same: Crazy Kevin, Crazy Adam, Crazy Sharon, Crazy MaryJane. All the plot drivers just act crazy and the plot moves at warp speed. Plot turns are dropped in suddenly Daniel and the art heist...WTF is that all about and who cares. Victor giving Patti a new face and bringing the psycho back to GC, but he doesn't know that his sociopath son is haunting his wife? The only plot that is somewhat old school and thoroughly gripping is the nick/phy/sharon/jack/chloe/billy...except they had to make Nick dumb as a stump to keep the ball rolling. I hope they slow it down and realize that they will burn out at this rate. To me, the show feels like Sheffer's first two years at ATWT, gripping, well acted and scripted, but over the top. Anyone else concerned about this hyperpace and some of the stupid developments (can we say stupid...the tommy lasorda call in with kevin and amber...that was painful).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's weird. I am enthralled, addicted and enjoying the show -- but also very concerned in equal measure.

GH used to go through these emotional, crazy highs. The subsequent fallback (or downers) became that much deeper. As Bibel said, it burned itself out. I don't want Y&R to go the same way.

• Members

While Bibel's columns are often crap, I agree with her on this story. It requires a tremendous amount of suspension of disbelief to get through this story.

The whole tone of the show has shifted to one dark and dreary mess. Too many psycho villains, mental breakdowns, and dark plots going on at once. There is nothing substantial on the show to balance this dark tone out, and it's annoying me.

MAB, Sheffer, and Hamner just do not work well as a team, IMO. They tend to highlight each other's weaknesses, hence the reliance on plot-driven darkness over the past few months.

I think the show needs to refocus its overall tone and perhaps bring in some new writers that can bring more innovative, and diverse storytelling while remaining true to the show's roots.

Not to mention, most characters on this show are overwhelmingly unsympathetic, and whatever sympathy they evoke comes directly from the actors. A good example being that idiot never-ending quad that makes no sense and has harmed each character in it.

Not to mention the writing for women on this show is embarrassing. This show is so misogynistic at the moment, it would make Megan McTavish proud.

Don't get me started on this art storyline. :rolleyes:

Y&R might be better than most other soaps, but that isn't saying much. Daytime is in a horrible, horrible state at the moment.

I feel like the show, in an attempt to by edgy, dark, and contemporary is starting to lose a lot of its heart again.

• Members

Well, both Eileen Davidson and Eric Braeden admitted saying "WTF" to Engen. This is the part of a lifetime for a soap actor, I think.

I can't link to the SOD summary I saw elsewhere, but Braeden clames he tried to dissuade Engen from leaving, but is quoted as saying "Listen, I remember Victor feeding rats to people!". Engen was advised to embrace it, but he seemed to want to play "one of those boring guys" per Braeden. Davidson reiterated what she said to Branco yesterday (she knew he was having a hard time, but she also understood leaving a show she was burnt out with since she had done the same. Both had kudos for the professionalism with which Michael Muhney has embraced the challenge. Davidson acknowledged that Muhney was going to bring a different take to the character.

• Members

I have develeoped the same concern as well. I had steady patience during the begining of Sharon's 'psychosis' perspective but by the time it got Nick to where it has him now I'm like WTF. He's too dumbed down (even though Nick was never the brightest star), and all involved is too much of a mess. There are lines but at this point it is no longer about developing individual characters within it is about keeping them at a stanstill to prolong the plot-point until the next "shocking" turn. It is too plot driven again. I actually enjoyed it 2 to 4 months ago or more 2 to 8 months but there has been a consistent decrease in my appreciation for the writing style and approach. This story between Ashley and Adam have too many holes in it, it is very dark (not necessarily something I mind that much, but many others do) which is a risk for the show to begin with, but yet they havn't developed Adam's drive or motivation saying he wants the ultimate rvenge is not enough, the audience needs to see why and should always have a reminder. Ashley falling down the stairs to lose the "phantom" kid was also another unneccessary sensationalistic choice for the story. I don't think the show is getting that these plot choices are not having much positive effect. Crash and Burn is the definite term here. The DNA wrongs, bringing the dead back to life this stuff doesn't intrigue me this makes me think PLOT DRIVEN, PLOT DRIVEN PLOT DRIVEN. It becomes too much the show loses integrity if we can't trust a character to be what we know it to be, I don't mind risks but when consistent things are being undone on this show it becomes overwhelming and the long time viewers start to lose interest over the challenge of what they already know about these classic characters

• Members

Personally, I like dark plots. I like stories with a semi-gothic feel. That's why I was such a Days addict in the 90's. Minus some of the more over-the-top campy stuff, I loved the dark, moody plots. However, I also like traditional soap stories. I like every type of story as long as they're written properly. Do I think that perhaps Y&R isn't the right show for the darker types of stories that are being told right now? Maybe. That's a very real possibility. I also understand why some people are scared that the show is "going down a slippery slope of no return." Much like Days of Our Lives, the long-term effects might not be worth the short-term bells and whistles. However, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't enjoying the hell out of it.

• Members

I'm just enjoying the story for what it is. If it ends up good, great. If it ends up like [!@#$%^&*], well then I'm used to it, LoL. However, I'm not going to psychoanalyze this plot, when right now, it's keeping me entertained.

• Members

I don't mind the dark plots... as long as they don't step over the line with them, and with Sheffer around, I have reason to worry. Things are a bit "too" chaotic IMO, it's good, and very entertaining, but I also think MAB needs to SLOW HER ROLL, or I fear she'll crash and burn. The chipmunk pretty much DID step over the line for me.. BUT just barely. If they ever went into that Marlena posessed by the devil crapola, there would be HELL TO PAY with the fans. I don't think MAB is stupid enough to let something THAT outlandish happen, we can HOPE. There are alot of things I'm REALLY looking forward to, and the show is great right now. But I would have NOT done the art SL, and had a lighter SL take it's place. So many things are going down right now it tends to make my head spin... but again, I LOVE the show right now. To answer the question about Engen.... after seeing this subject matter, I DO understand why someone with a weak constitution wouldn't be able to handle such material... let's remember, Braeden is a HARD ASS.. he can really handle stuff. I'm just offended that they gay kiss was the precipitating factor, and not throwing the fetus into the fireplace (Unless Ashley is still carrying it)

• Members

I slowly came to realize this the moment when the show's two leading stories, Kevin and Sharon's going insane, seemed to get derailed a bit and both ended in one single episode.

Now, while entertaining, the show seems to be on a downward spiral of sorts. I'm kind of disappointed that M.J. is you know who, it doesn't really make sense to me.

I don't mind dark plots, but there is such a thing called overload.

Archived