Y&R Rowell interview

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what is wrong with having AA characters like CK's Lily? it is imposable that there are AA girls like that? let alone girls like that who grew up in paris with a model mother and lived pretty much a princess life? I dont get the hate for her because shes "to white". its like hating dru for being "to black".

As for VR... she is an amazing actress. Amazing. By far one of the best daytime has ever seen. her passion is fantastic. But she pretty much makes all her own views null and void by making up bullshit like Y&R shot to number one when she arrived when we all know it happened long before. Im not saying her being there wasnt a huge factor in it staying, but she wasnt the one and only. the show has stayed at number one without her, more than once.

I do think the reason she hasnt been snatched up is because shes difficult to work with. People bring up EB punching and whatnot, and that is not right at all. And i dont think if he left he would get another job either. But there is a diff between being difficult and being imposable. VR seems to be imposable to work with.

And i dont think its really a race thing, or a female thing. Altho those may work against her soemwhat, she is her biggest enemy.

and bashing Michelle S. and Eric B. doesnt help make VR look any better.

• Members

She's done her fair share of films, some of the cast won't be able to break their daytime mold. I like EB but who gives a damn. Same goes for MS, they're not untouchable.

I'm thankful she's not a 'shuck and jive' daytime actress, and IMO speaks on behalf of the many fans who feel the exact same way. IA that her personality affects her relationship with the longtime soap, but who cares if you have the means to pay your bills and aren't personally dependent upon their recommendation. She's proved herself, and IMO I think the only reason she brings her character up and a return to the show is because she wants to raise the diversity awareness. She could probably care less, otherwise why would she talk about her co-stars like this.

Any accusations in regards to her "attitude" I attribute to what happens to most volatile AA's who have been systematically used as tokens. That [!@#$%^&*] will drive you crazy! The CK and KSJ are better suited to deal with it and IMO it's not for everyone. One might find oneself acting even when the director has called "cut".

CK is a great, and she can in no way speak for an entire black audience. VR forgets that she didn't have to do the same in her day and her acting choices were her acting choices. Leave that lil girl alone! In time CK's head will grow real big and she'll want to pursue a "real acting career"; and I think tptb are counting on that.

• Members

I forgot about that :lol: :lol:

How could I forget about that? I just view her as trendy casting and in time tptb will be looking for something else, but it'll be mutual. She's not getting fired. She's too well behaved.

• Members
If her Twitter Page is any indication of her "behavior," I'd say she's more like an annoying, petulant five year old with her rantings of "I'm HUNNNNNGRY" and "I'd rather watch Ellen than focus on my scenes."

If there's anyone who deserves the Lillian Layman at Y&R, it's Christel. Girlfriend needs to wake the eff up.

• Members

Aren't those actor's twitter pages done by someone at the studio?

If not, I can't for the life of me figure out why actors do these twitter pages. It's disturbing. I would respect her as an actress more if I could actually believe she's nothing like her character.

• Members
If that were the case, I would certainly HOPE the Y&R staffers could find something more interesting for her to say other than "What's up twiggers?" and "The producers just lied to use." and "I'm texting this tweet even though I'm on the set and will begin taping in less than a minute." You'd assume the girl has never set foot in anyone's school. For someone who seems to take so much pride in her African-American heritage, she sure sets a positive example: dippy and lazy. Way to go, girlfriend!

And then, not to mention her overall lack of passion for what she is doing at Y&R. Some poor girl was fired so this wench could work again and she, in this economy, would rather be watching Ellen than working on her scenes and saving her livelihood?

ETA: Sorry for veering OT with this rant. I'm just still in shock that "a actress" like Christel Khalil has a public Twitter account that clearly displays her intelligence and work ethic or lack thereof.

• Members

Neil was an ass with Dru later on, but I simply couldn't blame him for not giving Dru a second look when she first showed up.

I hated Neil for trying to control Dru's career. He was a stereotypical male chauvinistic pig by then.

• Members

That's subjective, impossible is a bit of a stretch and how can you possibly know this with such conviction?

Ck's acting choices in this role (IMO) most times make no sense to me or leaves alot to be desired. She'd be ok in the right roles or if Lily had a different history. In this case it's less about race I could overlook "blackness" in CK's case but everything else makes her a misfit for the character. I've kinda tried to give her a chance especially on the basis that she's a young woman trying, but then I think about the fact that there has to be someone who is a better fit for the role. I look at young EOB who is just as young I believe, and she does a superb job as Jana. Don't get me wrong Jana is not a favorite of mine, but I am still able to enjoy her simply because of the potrayal. With Lily as a viewer I tried to overlook what was wrong in the acting by paying attention to the writing, but now because of the acting I feel I'm not able to enjoy that....

If all her universal views beome null and void because of very abstract statements in regards to the show's success and indications about her contributions to that then that to me further solidifies her point. VR's point about the unfairness in the emmy system and in the soap world still stands beyond her notions about the show's historical rise. Whether it be VR that said the statements or Bill Bell it is what it is and doesn't deserve to be ignored because she's the one with the b@lls. VR has expressed nothing but admiration and respect for EB to the media, you probably mean PB and in VR's defense she was defending herself against PB's disrespect and disregard aka she didn't start that one.

Archived