Y&R Rowell interview

• Members

IMO, there is no comparison, Erica Kane is more popular. When people talk about Laura, rarely is it without Luke & Laura attached to it. Erica is all on her own, she does not have a "couple crutch" (sorry, but for purposes of this topic, that is what it is).

I think Dru and Malcolm have always trumped Neil (and Olivia) and still don't agree on Jesse and Angie. As a couple, Jesse and Angie trump all, as individual characters, NOPE. Angie and Jesse are rarely talked about outside of each other or the pairing, and that's always been the case. It's a result of being a part of a supercouple, once that happens, your character becomes synonymous with the pairing and not so much as a stand alone individual character.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Am I the only one who doesn't think that she meant that SHE was the reason why the show went to #1? Forgetting for a second that the show had already been #1 for a while, look at the context of what she's saying. I think she meant when the show started to add more black characters in general, which was the time she showed up.

• Members

I mean honestly if that's how one feels that's fine. But I think everyone who invests in this show should raise a question as to y&r's "affirmative action plan" or maybe soaps in general, or maybe even hollywood. My question would be is VR lying? I don't know for sure what is or what isn't true but if she isn't lying she raises valid concerns. (I'm not referening the number 1 comment that is obviously something she needs to clearify. Obviously noone quizzes her)

• Members

Does that include 1973-83 when the show was all white? Or how about when they painted Phil Morris to turn him into a white man? Or how about the first black character on the show being a MAID... and I'm sorry... MAMIE is her name? it's just too close to MAMMY (Which is basically what she was) . Think about it. Rowell is just half nuts, though. Claiming credit for stuff she has no business taking credit for. Only one actor on this show can come CLOSE to claiming sucess for the show, and that is Jeanne Cooper, PERIOD.

• Members

I've never seen the story with Phil Morris. Was it a bad story? I know they were contrasting his love story with a black woman (was her name Amy?) in his real face, as he then had to go into his whiteface and got involved with the mobster's daughter.

• Members

I mean, it was a stupid story that they cut short. I've pasted the broad plot below. It was simply Tyrone's method of going undercover...like wearing a mask. Back then, it was improbable that Mr. Anthony the mobster would accept a black man has his daughter's fiance (look at the backlash against Neil/Victoria a decade later), so some form of masquerade was necessary. But it must have been damaging. "Alana Anthony", the fiance, left the canvas a few days after the story ended, and I don't recall the Jackson family being long in story after that.

Per this site:

As I recall, Mr. Anthony perished prior to Alana's departure in a climactic scene.

• Members

Yes Mr. Anthony's death was rather gruesome. I don't remember all the details now, but SOD magazine gave it an award in their Best & Worst that year - something about gruesome it was.

Amy Gibson - if my memory serves me well - had gotten fairly popular in the role. But she also had weight problems off screen, and that is why she was rumored to have been let go. She was told to lose weight by Bill Bell and the execs. She couldn't do it by the allotted time and she was fired as soon as the story wrapped.

• Members

I remember Mr. Anthony had a piranha tank, by which he tortured someone. I wonder if the piranha attack was involved in his death? I can't remember.

I had heard those weight issues. For some reason, I thought that was when she was on GH not Y&R. Sad.

• Members

I didn't read the other comments about the story. I actually didn't think the story was all that bad. I actually liked it and agreed with so many mags at the time that Phil Morris should have gotten an Emmy nom for it. He was really good at playing the conflict.

I did feel it was a rip off of a Bell story he had already done - to a certain point.

I loved Bill Bell but even as far back as Days - his first writing job without Irna - he had a bad habit of recycling stories. And that is basically what Tyrone's story was. He had previously done the undercover story with Paul where the undependable son went undercover pretending to be someone he wasn't to clear his Dad's name. That is when Paul became one of the central male figures of the show for several years. That story really moved him from backburner character to front burner and made him a fan fave.

I think Bell wanted to do the same with Tyrone but it just never happened. But I really enjoyed the story a lot.

As to Rowell I am so over this mess with Y&R and her. After the way she continues to trash the show, I hope they never bring her back. All it will do is cause backstage problems, and you just can't have a proper working environment like that. I do wish her well on getting other work. I just don't want to see her on Y&R at this point. She has burned too many bridges for me.

She is a great actress. And she would be such an asset to the show. But as so many have pointed out in the last few days and that is the one thing I agree with them on - actors need to shut up and just act what is given them and be done with it.

I never disagreed with any of them on that. If your personal views or your political views stand in the way of that then you need to find another profession.

• Members

When I read the piranha it brought it back. The piranha's ate his face. He was pushed face first into the tank, they attacked his face and he died. That is the gist of it. It was much more than that but that is the basics.

No the weight thing was on Y&R.

She was never more than recurring I think on GH. And was much thinner from my memory than she was when she was on GH. Of course I didn't think she was that fat on Y&R.

Archived