Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You want candles and rose petals. Really? Really?

You want guitar playing in the courtyard? Meet cute?

Not for me...not for adults on their second or third marriage...in their 30s and 40s.

• Members

I completly missed this beat even before MAB regressed the three of them. I never saw Nick become a man especially not in the Phick pairing. Nick doesn't even know himself without either woman. I actually think what's playing out on screen is Phyllis trying to make him into her ideal man and him showing resistance because she is being too controlling

• Members

I have never really cared for the institution known as Nick and Sharon so at least for me anyway, this has been a blessing. I think people love Phyllis and Nick together before and after the affair because they at least to me (can't speak for anyone else and don't care to either) reminds us that sometimes the person who you think isn't your type turns out be your type after all and there are no rules/guidelines for relationships. It is whatever works and make one happy - and yes that same happy can go unhappy too. I guess this is why we always have this neverending unnecessary comparison about Shick vs. Phick or both relationships vs. other relationships.

This has got to be the longest, short-term affair I have ever seen. ;):lol: I doubt very much that Nick and Phyllis are over - it appears the writers have taken the time to figure out how to take them to that next level. They have already started laying the other groundwork. But both Nick, Phyllis and the pairing have got to go through some hard growing pains and what I affectionately like to call "TURBULENCE". And I love TURBULENCE, so MAB better not disappoint me!! :lol: I agree too with whoever said now we are getting to see Joshua & Michelle more engaged in the material...that's possibly because a "WRITER who can write for COUPLES/ACTORS who don't want "pies and white picket fences" is writing!!

• Members

Personally, I've seen nothing of this "type" thing. The only connection they share is sex, nothing emotional or of substance, to me. It hasn't ever been reflected in the writing, or the horrific acting Morrow and Stafford produce together.

I'm not a big Nick and Sharon fan, but their early realtionship and even their relationship now is much more clearly defined than whatever Nick and Phyllis have.

Not to mentioned, Stafford should be paired with someone that doesn't make her look so damn old. Television is a visual medium after all...

• Members

I like that phrasing. Many in the audience don't want pies and white picket fences.

One of my all-time favorite couples was Lionel and August Lockridge on Santa Barbara. Sexual, incendiary. When the writing on that show was good, that couple was unbeatable.

Nick and Phyllis are less dysfunctional, but together they seem like a couple that is PAST all the "soulmate" bullsh!t. They enjoy each other. That's truly enough.

I agree the couple could be strengthened if they talked more and problem solved together more.

Now, what about Phyllis' reaction to the affair. I agree it has weakened her. But even she sees that...hence "I hate you" in the mirror.

I LOVED her reaction after the first sex. "No, you will NOT leave. No, you will work on this!" How adult. How accurate...like Elizabeth Edwards, there is a FAMILY to consider.

After the second sex, you will recall that she did respond with anger and kick him out. But again, there is more at stake than Phyllis, and she gets that. There is the marriage and the family. I love the Phyllis is being strong, and reminding Nick of that. Nick is realizing that he is being weak in the relationship, and Phyllis is being the strong tether that is helping him find his way home.

I think those two could now get back on solid footing...maybe even emerge stronger due to all this. EXCEPT THAT DAMN EMBRYO SHARON HATCHED WHILE DRUNK AS A SKUNK is now gonna throw a monkey wrench.

• Members

My goodness. My mouth is agape.

I disagree on the "emotional substance". In the most useless scenes, we just have to look in Stafford's eyes, and there is a world of substance there. Honestly, that is enough. The writers are trusting the actress to sell it...they don't need to lay it out in clunky word after word.

Stafford does NOT look old. She is a totally totally banging babe. Pure sex. One need only take one glance at her, and one can instantly understand why Nick is in her sexual thrall. She is amazing.

Indeed, until you wrote this, seriously, I totally forgot there might be an age difference.

• Members

I really really love your post!! B) I really do!! B) Different strokes for different folks in what we view!!! I agree, Phyllis's reaction to the affair has weakened her, no doubt about that. But we know why, it's because for Phyllis the writers have given her the dialogue, Nick is the love of her life so I understand the loss of strength when it comes to that. And yeah, Phyllis is being the strong tether that is helping him find his way home.

I don't mind that embryo Sharon throwing a monkey wrench into this. I welcome it!! This is the strongest test that Nick and Phyllis's have ever faced in their relationship and I can't wait to see how the writers write this storyline. Hopefully Nick and Sharon can finish their unfinished business for a spell and we can get the show on the road again.

• Members

Phyllis needs a more dynamic love interest, not the eternal frat boy, and preferably one whose acting will raise the bar of Stafford's acting. Morrow doesn't challenge Stafford the way Bergman did, thus it is one of the many reasons Nick and Phyllis are dull and lack nuance.

• Members

Even if I agreed with your assessment of Morrow (I don't...all you have to do is watch when he woke up during his "Nick Van Winkle" story), let's stipulate agreement.

That still doesn't mean the couple has to be broken up. They can do their thing as "Phick", and Stafford can get her "complex scene partners" in business stories, and other sotries that don't involve her romance with Nick. For example, I love Phyllis and Lauren together. I buy that relationship. So, Stafford can be in a story with Lauren...and come home to her guy.

We won't convince each other :). I think this lack of consensus about the couple is very good for the show...it means they have a permanently viable triangle that will always keep the audience engaged and different aspects of fandom happy or miserable.

• Members

....No, I meant strictly in the romantic sense.

And you're right, we're almost total opposites when it comes to this show. I also find myself agreeing with Sylph that you retionalize every bad thing about this show, but don't allow the same leeway to other shows, but I guess that's the "fanboi" in you. ;)

Archived