Community: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I don't watch Community, but firing Dan Harmon is stupid. If SONY/NBC wanted to make this a more broad appealing show, they should have made this change in season 2, not in season 4 when it's going to be airing on a Friday. Not only have they pissed off the hardcore fans, but they still won't attract a broader audience. That ship sailed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree to a point but I think things blow up when the "mainstream" entertainment press starts reporting on it. I like Community a lot. It's one of the few comedies that makes me genuinely crack up but it's totally a cult phenomenon. I'm a fan but not close to the hardcore fan level. I just don't understand the reasoning of this decision. It's too late to broaden the show's appeal. They might as well have canceled it.

• Members

I think that's true for some shows but not for others. Aaron Sorkin, Shonda Rimes, Ryan Murphy, Marc Cherry, and Joss Whedon tended to get as much or in some cases more press focus than their shows did - all the endless hype over Whedon carried him when his skills faded years ago.

Some shows which are big blockbuster hits don't need focus on the people making them, but those shows (which mostly seem to be on CBS) are increasingly rare. With the networks becoming increasingly niche, that means more and more attention paid to drama behind the scenes.

• Administrator

I'm not happy about this, espescially if NBC/Sony plan to make the show more "broader". I'd rather have a few seasons of brilliance and then end the show. I hope the new showrunners will be able to keep the show funny and still do themed episodes and still have the high quality of directing, cinematography, and writing.

• Members

Harmon is difficult but I think it's probably more about NBC. They probably agreed to renew to get the show to syndication if Harmon was ushered out. Putting it on Fridays is not going to expand the audience or help it become more mainstream.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived