Another World

• Members

I enjoyed Tomlin and Culliton’s era as well.  From late 82 to Feb 85 there was a great balance of the past (Matthews, Corys & Ewings) and the new (Harding/Todds, Loves, Felicia/Cass/Wally & McKinnons).  Then it went to hell.  As bad as 85 was at least the cast and characters were recognizable.  In 86 it was a constant exit of actors.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Was Cullton Tomlin the Fab Four going on adventures and the return of Cecile and Rachel having amnesia but being bitchy (I remember her looking at her closet..."Dowdy!!!") It was funny and fun and the only time I really watched AW but then it got stupid with a mummy dust storyline...

• Members

Would you not say though that by 1985, the dynamic of soaps were changing in a result to be faster, younger and more focused on wealth, glamour and the high life.  Even the way characters were introduced became a bigger event.  I am not saying it was right, but I think it was indicative of the times.  Over the top, was something soaps embraced.  An escape.  And conversely, if something wasn't working, it was shut down quickly and the writers/producers moved into something new.  For long time viewers, that meant jettisoning off characters who mabe they felt did not fit the "new mold".  As someone who was young back then, I was Ok with it.  But someone who is older now, I see the charm in maintaining legacy characters.  I wanted more of the Loves back in the day, but watching You Tube clips now as a middle aged person, I see the charm of Ada, who back in 85, I hit fast forward on my VHS recording to get to Donna.  

• Members

Yes, the infamous Lumina Ball.

I've always wondered what the hell the writers had in mind for the long story payoff of this arc. Just utter stupidity that not mesh well with this show. I do have to say that the Lumina set and the costumes are extravagant.

Furthermore, this was around the time too where Jake would become unbearable and take a moral high ground when it came to Marley losing her mind. It didn't sit well with me knowing he raped her years before and was shaking his finger at her the next second. 

• Members

I still wish we knew more about that brief Diego vampirism story that was dropped. 

I remember they at least addressed the Marley and Jake rape when she was going after him, but still, I agree the whole thing was questionable. I'm just glad they let Marley have a redemption and didn't pack her off as the crazy lady.

• Members

Near the beginning of the Lumina story, they gave a back-story that made it plausible, up to that point.  But a few weeks later, all that original back-story went out the window, and the plot just got more and more over-the-top and unbelievable.  If I'm not mistaken, Luminia was originally said to have been a cult (or something similar), and the characters were very cautious about participating in the Lumina Ball.   But then that all seemed to have been dropped, in favor of reincarnation and a secret area of the Cory garden that not even Rachel was aware of.   Is it possible the writers changed in the middle of the plot?   Something certainly did -- because it went from being a weird (but believable) storyline, to a supernatural floundering mess, seemingly over-night.    

• Members

I'm wondering if it was intended to be a cult organization..an umbrella story that got changed to the supernatural angle..

I remember Felicia and another character switched costumes..and it was hinted something was up cause Felicia didn't recall..but that was dropped.

I even remember Marley briefly played in the story by bringing Donna there...and whatever happened behind closed doors resulted in Donna regaining her voice...while Jordan Stark said he was drawn and intrigued with Marley...but that got dropped.

Lastly, the frankie lookalike..who was the complete opposite of Frankie was bought in by Lumina..but that was dropped.

• Members

Wait--what?! When did this occur with Diego? 

Also, while Marley did get redemption, I always felt Jake was still cold towards her until she popped up on ATWT after Vicki's death. It just irked me that Jake could ever take the high road given all he's done to Marley. 

I think they should've just stuck with a cult story. Would've possibly been more believable and more enjoyable. 

1995 (IMO) was a year that could've pivoted the show into the right direction and kept it on had NBC, P&G, and JFP not did so much damage in two years tops. 

Watching the episode above, I don't know why they had Justine become a cartoon loon when she could've just been a menacing, vile b*tch that wanted Carl and wanted to seek revenge on Spencer and all those who wronged Grant (in her mind). I always feel like soaps at this time were trying to create a villainess like Sheila Carter or Kristen Dimera but flopped each time. 

I know many people didn't care for RC's Lorna, but I liked her. I always felt she softened Lorna and took her back to the vampish side that she possessed when Alicia started the role. I do agree that they could've kept some of that edge though seeing as Lorna wouldn't've allowed Grant to snow her and later run in fear from Cindy. 

And a blind man could see that the writers were going to pair Josie/Gary from the start. Thank God Timothy and Amy had chemistry from the start because it could've gone left. 

I hate that we'd also lose Amanda and Evan soon as well. I always wanted to see Evan and Amanda somewhat paired up. 

• Members

The episode of Evan's exit with Justine threatening him remains one of the bizarrest things I ever watched on the show. Unfortunately the scene I remember of Justine pulling a letter opener on a speechless Evan isn't around, but Eric Scott Woods later played the demonic boyfriend Piper in a couple early episodes of Charmed so it there is that.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I just listened to this interview and I loved it.  Carol Roux seems like such a sweet person.  I loved hearing about the early years of the show. What a wasted opportunity not trying to get her back on screen over the years.