Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've watched Beverly's take on Iris.. and I have to say I liked Carman's take on Iris much better.. only because I grew up watching Ms. Mckinsey as Alexandra (and she didn't want to go back to AW because it was filmed in Brooklyn).

I could see the start of Iris becoming more attentive to business matters at the end of her Texas run.. and going off to New York than traveling through Europe... perhaps during some downtime (or during her brief fling with Michael Hudson).. probably learning about business matters... etc.  I mean the character was off the show for several years so whose to say that she didn't pick up on learning business.

The only thing I had trouble with was throwing Iris knee deep into the business stories the second she came back in late 1988.  I could have seen her trying to learn more about the business after seeing how well Amanda was doing.. and perhaps thinking if she was more interested in the business.. than Mac would respect her, etc.  So I wouldn't have made her the Chief.. but I could have seen her possibly hiring someone to be the Chief thus saving the company in the eleventh hour, etc.

And than after Mac's death, Iris becoming involved in the business as both a way to make it up to her daddy for the Chief stunt.. and to stick it to Rachel/Amanda.

With that said, it's sad to read that she's passed

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I am so very sorry to hear this. Carmen Duncan was one of those soap actresses I hoped we'd see again, whether she popped up on another soap, daytime or primetime, or even on a Law & Order. I'm so glad that we got that glimpse of her as Lisa on ATWT, but I sure was hoping to see her again. May she rest in peace. 

• Members

Reading about Carmen Duncan's passing has me wondering about Victoria Wyndham. AFAIK Victoria is not on any social media. It's hard to believe that a good number of the actors Victoria played opposite of in major storylines are now gone.

• Members

Thank you for letting us know.

She was very special to watch. Such a spark, from the very first time she appeared as Iris. She was different to Beverlee in many ways, but one thing they shared was an incredible charisma and a natural chemistry with everyone around them. She brought so much to her work in the role, making Iris believable while wooing men, bitching at Pauline, being frenemies with Rachel, plotting coups at Cory Publishing, or running business at the hospital. Of everything I most enjoyed the moments when we'd get to see Iris' vulnerability. 

I was just watching some of her scenes again last week. I never get tired of them.

AW had such an underrated cast who always made a little go a long way. Carmen was one of those who made that the most true.

As Khan said, I hope she knew how much AW fans appreciated her. And I hope she knew newer fans, like me, were hooked years after the show was just an entry on her IMDB page. 

Was it her choice to leave? I can never remember. 

The worst part of her exit story was that it was the end. A return would have made it more palatable. Imagine if in AW's last episode Rachel and Carl had gotten a call about business at Cory, and when they got to the main office, the chair spun around, with Iris smiling at them like the cat that got the cream.

I'll never forget that interview Malone gave when he was briefly writing for AW where he (most likely through P&G mandates) said Iris couldn't come back because the show was no longer focusing on older characters. 

• Members

Victoria is very active on Instagram. She never posts pictures of herself and neither has her son, but she posts endless pictures of her art work and her beautiful farm. Btw I read her interview with Wikipedia from a few years back and I had no idea she wrote for the show. In the interview she mentions that PGP would pay her for long term story for the show, not necessarily for Rachel either. She also mentioned writing a 500 page bible when they wanted her to take over officially as head writer. The talent this lady has is incredible. 

• Members

Victoria did post one photo of herself about two years ago. She still looks the same. 

Carmen's passing hit me a bit today. Ironically, I was watching clips of Mac's death yesterday. For some reason, I purposely went to the scene where Rachel tells Iris that Mac is gone. Carmen's performance was so raw and powerful; the scenes between Carmen and Gretchen Oehler as Vivien were so special to watch again after all these years.

Please register in order to view this content