Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You ae referring to below, after sh got busted, I believe Justine got hit by a train after Grant shot Ryan on the Train tressle, but she didn't die as we later find out

Edited by rlj

• Members

^That makes a lot of sense @DRW50   I can see how she really has no other option with that material, other than going OTT. It's a shame to saddle one of your legacy actresses with crap but, on the other hand, at least they weren't pushing her to the back for younger characters?  Oof, that whole thing just seems like an absolute mess.

• Members

The whole concept of Justine, with her WTF accent, kidnapping Rachel and assuming her identity was just too damn absurd, especially for ANOTHER WORLD, which had avoided that kind of storytelling for the most part.  But, at least Carl was hip to her jive mess almost right away, instead of being the cuckold from beginning to end.

• Members

Another World scholars, please advise:

I see that there is quite a bit of '79/'80/'81 of Another World on the internet. Is this a period that is worth my checking out? Right now I'm watching the late 80's and, although I've read all of the Soaps and Serials novelizations, and therefore have a good idea of the show during the 60's/70's, I don't know much about this period. 

If it is considered a decent time of the show, and anyone has any recommendations as to where I should try to jump in (if at all) , I would appreciate any suggestions. I'm really missing Mac now that he has passed and would love to see some of his older material. Thanks!

• Members

I'd say give it a try for Cecile and Blaine, and to stare at Richard Bekins and Ray Liotta. That's what I usually do when I watch that era, as a lot of the rest is a slog. Vicky Wyndham and Douglass Watson are great, of course, as is Beverly Penberthy. Sadly the show often plays like a funeral.

Where to start - try the 1979 material on Youtube as that's the earliest around I believe. I think a lot of the Janice/Mac/Rachel/Mitch stuff is up, as are the fights between Rachel and Mac that led up to all of it kicking off with Mac and Janice. You have to watch Christine Jones - one of the most sublime soap performances of all time. You can just feel her breaking.

Here is one of the only surviving 90 minute episodes that I know of. 

(the padding with Iris is hilarious...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuJ4ZnsJ_M

Edited by DRW50

Rachel & Janice final battle on location in St Croix was awesome. Rachel and Janice falling in slow motion into the pool as Rachel kills Janice was riveting. Mac discovering during Rachel's trial that he wasn't Matthew's father was heart breaking. That would be the best of 1980. Everything else is boring.  Susan Keith and Nancy Frangione are a joy to watch as bad girl Cecile. The adversarial work place relationship between Cecile and Pat is good. Blaine's involvement with Jordan Scott resulting in his murder was good. Blaine being prosecuted by Jordan's killer was a good twist. Jamie and Sandy switching places to evaded pimpstress  IIsa Fredricks goons. Resulting in the hostage situation at the Cory Cabin. As well as Mac's shooting.. The rest of 1981 was dreadful. AW badly recast Alice twice. Steve Frame resurrection was awful. There's some good stuff amidst all the dreck. Mac was heavily featured during this time period. Vivian and Iris held hostage by Jeff Stone in 1979 is a must see. 

Edited by victoria foxton