Another World

• Members

In Doug Watson's early scenes with Carmen Duncan, I almost felt as though I were watching a dumbed down version of the Mac/Iris relationship. The writing was so superior when McKinsey played the role, and I'm not sure Duncan could've skillfully played the subtleties and nuances that Harding Lemay's writing called for. Yeah, Duncan's Iris was definitely loosely molded on Joan Collins (as was Domini Blythe's Estelle Kendall on SFT), though the Dynasty hoopla had already subsided by the time Duncan was cast, so you have to wonder why they would cast in the Alexis direction.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The character itself was written very differently. For instance McKinsey's Iris was a "woman of leisure" -- there's no way she would have worked at Cory Publishing, or anywhere. It would have been beneath her. Yet Duncan's Iris was career-driven. One could argue that she molded herself into that as a way to prove her worth to "Daddy" -- but I believe that would have been the last tactic McKinsey's Iris would have taken.

I was so excited when Rachel opened the Cory Mansion door on a Friday and said "Iris??!!?" And so disappointed that Iris turned out to be a shrill, rather manic Australian woman. I grew to like Carmen Duncan well enough -- to the point I was pissed that the show got ride of her -- but she was never really Iris to me.

• Members

Hahahaha, Carl. My ex was in the original Broadway cast of Noises Off with Linda. I saw the show at least a dozen times. I'd never seen a performance deteriorate like hers over the run of a show. She was perfect at first, beautifully directed by the superb Michael Blakemore but as time went on she mugged incessantly and shook her ta tas and butt like crazy. I think she hoped to land a sitcom but it didn't happen. Before she landed the job on OLTL she was up for a role on AMC which never materialized-Opal's sister, Ruby. I gather that Ruby and Opal were estranged and Opal was to look her up after she found out she'd married a rich man.

Edited by TimWil