Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have a question for viewers who watched Another World from the first episode- was AW pre-empted a lot during its early years? On May 4, 1999 AW celebrated its 35th Anniversary and ran for approximately 7 more weeks before its final episode which would equate to approximately 35 episodes.

Search for Tomorrow celebrated its 35th Anniversary on September 3, 1986 and ran for approximately approximately 16 more weeks before its final episode which would equate to approximately 80 episodes.

SFT ran for 9,130 episodes and AW aired 8,891 episodes. This is a difference of 239 episodes. Why is there such a big difference between two series that both ran for a little over 35 years?

• Members

Sometimes the number of an episode and the total number of actual episodes doesn't line up due to how they used to number scripts/episodes. It seems to have been a general practice back in the day that followed a 01/02/03/04/05 & 06/07/08/09/10 M/Tu/W/Th/F pattern so that the number of every Friday's episode would either end in a 0 or a 5. I believe Dark Shadows employed this system (often with multiple episodes ending up with the same number) and we've discovered that The Doctors seems to use this system as well. I believe I even heard about The Guiding Light doing the same. This would mean that if Episode #1233 aired on Wednesday & a preemption happened on Thursday, Episode #1234 would air on Friday (because it had already been written/taped), but new scripts/taped material would go back to the original pattern so that Episode #1255 would air on a Friday again, which might cause there to not even be an episode with a given number because that episode number was skipped to resume the pattern. This could help explain wonky episodes numbers & counts.

• Members

Thanks for the information. Many of those DOOL pre-emptions probably did carry over to AW. Looking over them, it is hard to believe that up until the mid 70s- baseball playoff games and the World Series were played in the middle of the afternoon. Also, the Summer of 73 must have been disruptive for soaps in general given the number of Watergate hearing pre-emotions.

• Members

No, she left America shortly after her role on AW ended, and moved to Europe with a very rich boyfriend. She was later diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer and treated successfully, moved back to Sydney, Australia, and has done a lot of charity work while taking acting work on television, film and theatre.

I loved Duncan's Iris. She wasn't McKinsey's character at all, but I thought she was just fabulous.