Another World

• Members

Wow, Dawn Benz was simply awful as Sally Frame. No offense but I can see why she was gone after less than two months. I only recall seeing one or two episodes back then with her playing the role. The whole recasts of Sally always meant a completely different personality was playing the role. I really did like MPK as Sally but she was not blonde and that was also unrealistic

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm just getting around to watching this and what a great ep! Cecile (Nancy Frangione) was always my fave character. Her in her disguise is so funny and so typical Cecile. Donna and Cecile friendly was fun too as I mostly remember them as hating each other.

Wasn't '83 when Donna, Felicia, and Cass really started. Also faves of mine.

Papa Pope sighting scared me!! (Sandy's doctor). Wasn't expecting that!

• Members

Yes, he played twins on AW - the doctor and a lounge singer. The whole thing has always sounded odd to me. I don't think I've seen much of it so I don't know how it played out.

AW had such a talented black cast throughout the '80s that they did so little with.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

This episode was shortly after Allen Potter took over as executive producer of Another World from Paul Rauch. He was AW's first EP when it premiered, went on to produce The Doctors in the current episodes airing on Retro TV, then went on to be EP at Guiding Light for several years where he won two Emmys.

He turned AW around rather quickly in 1983. He quickly had Rachel regain her eyesight when she was blinded in the car accident that killed Steve Frame in early 1983. Mac used an English accent to pose as hospital administrator, John Caldwell to get close to Rachel. The week or week before the posted 1983 episode aired saw Richard Bekins leave the role of Jamie. By the end of the summer, Stephen Yates (Ben from Guiding Light) would show up at the double ceremony that Mac and Rachel and Sandy and Blaine were married.

Potter would stay at AW until he retired at the end of 1984. The only fault I had with his version of AW was the use of Jacqueline Courtney's Alice as a supporting character who was used a a "sympathetic ear" for her daughter Sally, without being given a storyline of her own. I always thought that Alice should have been involved with Carl Hutchins after he broke up with Felicia.

• Members

In the story, Cecile told Cass that she and Alma had schemed against Blaine. Alma sent a blackmail tape to both Cecile and Sandy. Alma stole Blaine's diary from the Cory mansion, and Larry found Alma's fingerprints in the Cory study. This tipped everyone off that Alma was in Bay City. Alma would don a blonde wig and take a job at Smiley's Diner to keep tabs on Cecile, Blaine, and Sandy.

Cass was seeing Cecile behind Felicia's back, and he conned Felicia into a loan to secretly cover Alma's blackmail demands for Cecile. Alma accepted a partial blackmail payment from Cecile, then threatened to expose Cecile and Cass's affair if she doesn't get more money. Alma also tampered with the brakes on Sandy's car, causing him and Blaine to have a minor accident. Later, Alma later stalked Sandy with a gun. Sandy underwent surgery after she shot him. Cecile was worried that Alma "borrowed" her car after shooting Sandy.

At the end of the posted 1983 episode, Alma was "killed" in her motel room. The police would find Blaine standing over Alma's dead body. Cass had followed Alma to her room to search for Blaine's diary, and he remembered seeing Cecile's car at Alma's motel. That was why he was acting so suspicious in his scenes with Felicia in this episode. Cass would admit to police he had tried to strangle Alma but insisted he didn't kill her. Cass tipped off police, who found a piece of Blaine's burned diary in Cecile's fireplace. Then, Cecile was arrested for Alma's murder, since Cass has an alibi. Cecile admitted she stole Blaine's diary, but she insisted when she found Alma she was already dead. In the conclusion of the story, Blaine and Larry's mother, Jeanne, admitted that Alma had stabbed herself and scratched Jeanne while chasing her around with a knife since she confronted Jeanne since they knew each other in Wyoming. Jeanne suffered from blood poisoning from the scratch and confessed to Blaine and Larry that they had a half-brother, Catlin.

• Members
Donna would offer Cecile big bucks to split up Peter and Sally. Donna then cozied up to Dr. Royal Dunning, whom she suspected had delivered Sally's illegitimate baby. Donna also hired a private eye named Barrows to photograph Royal's file on Sally and to find Sally's child. Donna confronted Sally, who admitted she had given up her son. Donna then told Sally that a couple named David and Jennifer Thatcher have her son, Kevin. (David was played by Lewis Arlt who would later play Ken Jordan on AW and bring Paulina to town; Jennifer was played by Sofia Landon who worked with executive producer Allen Potter at Guiding Light where she played Diane Ballard. Landon would also substitute for Anna Stuart's Donna in the 90s when Stuart was on medical leave.)

At a dinner party hosted by Donna, Sally came face to face with David, the man who fathered her illegitimate son. David warned Sally that Donna will reveal that Kevin is his and Sally's natural son if Sally tries to marry Peter. David also insisted to Sally that he hadn't known that Royal had switched Kevin for Jennifer's baby. Jennifer Kidnapped Kevin after hearing the story of Sally and David's past. Jennifer and Kevin stayed with her friends, the Fords, where she would get drunk and die in an auto accident during a snow storm.

After Donna spilled the beans, Sally had to admit to Peter that she once had an affair with David. Sally would confess to Peter that Kevin is her and David's son. Peter broke off his engagement to Sally because of her lies about her past. When Peter then got close to Cecile, Donna fumed that Cecile tore up the cheque she gave her to split up Peter and Sally, then insisted that she wants Peter, not the money. Cecile would use a tape recording of Donna's plot against Sally that she had against Donna.

Edited by watson71

• Members

If nothing else, the 1983 material is worthy of download to see Peg Murray playing Ada while Constance Ford was on a medical leave. No one played Ada like Constance Ford- she was simply the best! How she was never nominated for a supporting actress Emmy is yet another Daytime Emmy mystery?!?

• Members

I don't think Benz is too bad as Sally, although she's a little lifeless. She reminds me a lot of Susan Walters. I wonder if they should have saved her for Julia when Kyra Sedwgick left. (Kyra wasn't on much longer was she?)

It's too bad they didn't keep Tom Wiggin around. He seems very natural.

It's sad to see the Julia/Sally scene, the two Frame women talking and laughing and seeing two very different, strong ladies, and knowing they'd both just become known for being corpses.

• Members

Is the Harriet Harris in the credits Harriet Sansom Harris?

I can see why the show kept Patricia Hodges on after what was likely a short-term role. She's so believably earthy, unlike many "yokel" characters on soaps over the years.

• Members
Kyra Sedgwick played Julia from January 1982 to June 1983. Jonna Lee played Julia for a few weeks after Sedgwick left. Then, Faith Ford assumed the role from June 1983 to August 1984. In NYC, hitman Ross mugged Julia and Marley and stole a mystery letter from Julia's flight bag. Julia went to the address on the stolen letter and was shocked to see Carl in a huddle with an unidentified woman- who turned out to be Emily Benson- the nurse who killed David Thatcher. Ross later murdered Julia in her hotel room. Edited by watson71