Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah I guess it is possible that an editor took out the AW stuff. In terms of the soaps, I agree with you that AW was more iconic then SB, but in terms of Nic Coster, I think the role of Lionel Lockridge was more his defining role as an actor then Robert Delaney or Eduardo Grimaldi was.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Perhaps, but if books contain only the things people remember anyway, then why write books?   Especially biographies and autobiographies.   90 percent of the stuff in Nic's book is remembered only by him.  Yet he recorded it for posterity.   That's one of the most important purposes of books, in my opinion.   

• Members

Didn't Lemay all but name Coster as the actor he counted as a friend who had a problem learning lines due to alcohol, and that contributed to his exit from AW? Coster tells a different story in his (excellent) WLS interview, but it's understandable that he might, nor is Lemay's word sacrosanct.

I've loved Nicholas Coster in so much TV and film - he was always a credit to anything he appeared in.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yes, most fans of Lemay's book speculate that actor was Coster.  And Lemay's statements about Nic's problem learning lines may have been influenced by complaints from Beverly McKenzie.   The "problem" didn't seem to come up, until Nic was working opposite her.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I thought Fitzpatrick had other problems - maybe the same ones, but the actor Lemay references re: their past friendship, his place on the show, etc. was very specific and was also not named, unlike Fitzpatrick.

• Members

It's been about a decade since I re-read the book, but wasn't there one actor with a drinking problem (Fitzpatrick), and another actor who had trouble with his lines exacerbated by drinking (Coster)??  Not sure about the details, but I believe Coster had trouble with lines (and maybe drinking), and Fitzpatrick had a drinking problem.   It's all really speculation, however.   

• Members

Well, the fact other actors weren't bothered by it doesn't mean the fact she was wasn't legitimate. Some people are more indulgent with what others count as unprofessionalism  but that doesn't mean it is not unprofessionalism.
Not that I know what the truth is obviously.

Oh I agree with you. I was simply pointing out why it would make sense from the point of view of an editor trying to sell books to focus a whole chapter on SB despite the show not ever having been as important or good as AW was.

• Members

Yeah. There were two different actors. In the book, Lemay didn't say who was who though, but in an interview that Eddie Drueding has posted on YT page, Lemay said that it was Nic Coster who chose not to memorize his lines. He doesn't refer to him by name though but as "the actor who played Iris' husband." But NC gives a completely different reason in his We Love Soaps interview

As for the actor who had the drinking problem, I just assumed it was John Fitzpatrick because he was the only other actor who was let go around the same time, I think

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I certainly don't disagree with AW being more iconic and far better soap than SB could ever be but Nic Costner has made it clear many times his most memorable and favorite soap he ever worked on was SB.  I recall him winning the award for his character on SB back in the 80's or early 90's.  I never watched the show.  Was it Lionel?  I clearly remember him stating when accepting the award that SB was the best show he ever worked on.  Im thinking this is his emphasis.  I don't he cared to much too much spend a lot of time talking about AW as it was just dust like many of the other early soaps he worked on..