Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On Twitter someone asked if he read Nic’s book and his reply is he doesn’t have time.  If someone is going on your show to promote a book shouldn’t reading it be Job #1 as an interviewer?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Not necessarily.  Larry King, arguably one of the best television interviewers ever, never read the books his guests had written.  He felt his questions would be more genuine, without already knowing what was in the book.  Plus, he said most of the audience would not have read the book either, making his curiosity more parallel to that of the audience.  On the other hand, other great interviewers, (Oprah for example) always read the books their guests have written.   So it really depends on the interviewing style of the interviewer.     

But Allan needs to be willing to use those questions in the interview.  Plus, Allan doesn't like to discuss anything controversial about soaps, and Nic was on Another World during a period with lots of well-known volatility in the studio -- leading to the firings of three of the lead actors in the same year (1975).   If they don't discuss that, then the entire interview will be worthless to fans of Another World.   

• Members

See, I never understood why Larry King had that reputation. Every interview I have seen of him was AWFUL. He had no idea what he was talking about, who he was talking to and repeatedly asking random non-probing almost mundane questions (presumably because he had no idea what to ask since he knew nothing).
I prefer an interviewer who knows exactly who he is dealing with because it means he/she knows what the interesting things to ask are and how to get information out of the subject.
Think about it this way: if you have an hour with someone, do you think you will get a more interesting conversation with them if you have prepared and already knows the basics and what interest them/ticks them off or if you are starting from scratch?

I do agree the Alan/Larry comparison is accurate but it is a not a good thing to me.

• Members

Of course they will mention Another World, but I'm confident any discussion of Nic's soaps will focus mostly on Santa Barbara, and possibly ATWT.  I doubt they will spend more than 5 minutes on Another World.  Especially since Nic was on that show in the mid-1970s, and Allan probably wasn't even born at that time.  Plus, AW was embroiled in controversy in 1975, and Allan won't touch that.  He should definitely ask Nic about working with George Reinholt and Jacquie Courtney, but I doubt he will.  He should also ask Nic about head-writer Harding Lemay and his unique writing style -- but he won't.   Sadly.

• Members

About a year ago, several fans of classic AW tried to convince Allan to interview remaining AW actors from the 1970s -- the show's highest rated period.  We even provided him with a list of actors to contact.  Allan didn't even respond to us.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Somebody must have convinced Nic to limit the Another World information in his book.  They probably told him it took place too long ago and nobody would care about it.   With all the crap that was happening in that studio in the mid-1970s, it's ridiculous that Nic didn't discuss it in his book. Another World was on fire in the ratings and it had critical acclaim, all while the cast and crew were being booed, screwed, tattooed, and barbecued by Paul Rauch and Harding Lemay.   Santa Barbara got an entire chapter, even though SB never got the ratings AW had -- even while SB was running.  And of course SB never even got close to number 2 in the ratings, where Another World spent most of the 1970s (while Nic was there).   I don't mean to be critical of Santa Barbara, but it was certainly not a more important soap opera than Another World.