Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's not a lot of discussion about Dennis's inheritance from Mac (especially given the focus on Mac's will between Jamie and Sandy), do you think that was due to the fact that he it was assumed he would inherit the Carrington's family fortune?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I don't think it was ever established that Elliot Carrington was independently wealthy or came from a wealthy family. He was a hard working journalist who worked for the newspaper syndicate that Mac owned.  And Mac threatened to fire him, if he ever divorced Iris.  I always assumed that Elliot's wealth came from Iris.  So there probably was not a Carrington family fortune -- other than that which Iris provided.  And Iris's money had actually been part of the Cory family fortune -- or perhaps from her mother's family, who Mac mentioned had been wealthy.    

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I beg to differ.  Although I tried hard to find the source and failed, my memory from reading Soap World was that the Carrington family owned the newspaper.  Arguably, by the time Eliot moved to Bay City he may have acquired his own source of wealth through the publication of his book.  However, I also have a vague recollection that Eliot's family owned the newspaper and that is why he was considered to be a viable match for Iris.

However, my initial point was that around the introduction of Blaine there was a lot of chatter about Mac's will.  Brian wants Iris disinherited before their marriage.  Mac offers to care for Jamie in his will, setting up the eventual struggle between Jamie and Sandy (I guess Alice's mishandling of Frame Construction voided Jamie's inheritance from that company).  Also, Rachel expresses concern about Matthew being in the will.  However, nobody seems to mention Dennis's rights of inheritance. 

Speaking of Blaine and her family, I read some gossip that Rick Porter (Larry Ewing) and Gail Browne (Clarice) clashed backstage.  On the Soaps of Yesterday Tumblr there are stories of Rick's side hustles, such as selling adult novelties, but no mention of their relationship...  (On a side note, it always makes me laugh to think about actors like Rick Porter, or OLTL Jeremy Slate (Chuck Wilson), or GL's Larry Gates (HB Lewis) living in New York while having to maintain the look and accent of cowboys from the ol' west.)

I was also reading the AWHP summaries of Eliot's introduction and there was an interesting tidbit that Eliot ordered Louise to supervise Iris's visits with Dennis because her negligence almost led to Dennis being kidnapped.  First,  I think the Dennis/Iris dynamic was so inventive for the times.  The contrast between Rachel/Jamie and Iris/Dennis was unique, and Iris's reaction to Dennis's rejection of her interestingly informed their dynamic throughout his development.  Second, I find it amusing that kidnapping was in the news so much in the early 70's that it was a thread through so many soap stories.  I'm sure it was inspired by the publication and TV movie of Anne Lindbergh's diaries about her baby's kidnapping, the Chowchilla Busnapping, and of course, later the character of Kit owed many plot points to the Patty Hearst story.

It would be interesting to track how many plots were influenced by news stories of the time.  Obviously, Iris's bugging of Eliot's suite happening at the same time as the Watergate hearings comes to mind, but I wonder if anyone can recall other plots that were lifted from current events?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I don't mean to argue, but Mac definitely owned the newspapers for which Elliot wrote. There was a specific plot point when it was revealed the real reason Elliot had never divorced Iris, despite their long separation, was that Mac had threatened to fire Elliot and black-ball him to the rest of the industry, if Elliot divorced Iris.  This was explained in a scene between Elliot and Mac when Robert Emhardt was playing Mac and Mac was more of a ruthless businessman than he was later.   I specifically remember this.  Also, I'm not suggesting Elliot came from poverty, but just saying his background was left vague. And it was not established that he came from wealth.  He may have, but it was just never mentioned.   

• Members

Not a headline per se, but Sandy's prostitution story is straight of out of American Gigolo, including the female pimp and the associated murder story.

American Gigolo was released 2/1/1980 and Sandy came to Bay City 1/19/81, so the connection is contemporary.

BTW I just learned from AWHP that his name before Bay City was Alexander Sanderson, so his nickname could have been Sandy Sandy (lol)

Edited by j swift

• Members

Personally I think we're in better company.

Seeing this stuff made me emotional, I have to admit - what an exquisite and truly unique show this was and could have remained (and, compared to some other soaps, did manage to maintain some fragment of itself to the end). I will always be sorry that so many of its best times were junked by NBC and will likely never be seen again.

• Members

I heard that story. Some of the tapes might even still be down there lol.

I'm sure there are kinescopes somewhere out there that managed to survive being wiped. With any luck, someone will find some more pre-1979 AW episodes and post them.