Another World

• Members

I think there are a variety of "missed opportunities" when it came to John Hudson as a character.  First, despite the build up there was really not a lot of animosity between John and Michael.  I cannot think of a memorable fight, there was no backstory to support a rivalry, and they never seemed to differ on moral or ethical issues.  Second, it was odd that Michael had three long lost children, (Marly, Vicky, and Nick) while John had none.  A recently arrived older kid for John would have made more sense given that he was missing for so many years.  By the time Michael found out about Nick it seemed suspicious that two different women had kept Michael from raising his children.  Nick was never my favorite retcon to begin with, but he seemed like a better fit for John than for Michael.  When we first met Michael he was a famous entrepreneur, so the backstory of Nick didn't make sense.  Also, his character struggles with volatility and fidelity seemed more like John than Michael.  

Finally, there was the thing that is always an issue for me with soap characters, a question of age.  Was he the same age as Jamey?  Because they shared romantic partners.  Or was he older because Jamey was only slightly older that Vicky and Jake?  He was a war vet which seems to make him much older, but it couldn't have been Vietnam because the twins were born after fall of Saigon?  I am a stickler for ages of characters on soaps but the ages rarely stand to reason. 

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought it was supposed to be Vietnam. The "flashbacks" we got of Donna and John also seemed to be '60s themed (in one he is playing Donna the Primadonna on the car radio).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The character was Lily Tran played by Bok Yun Chon in the Summer and Fall of 1992.  She came to Bay City looking for John Hudson who knew her father in Vietnam.  The change in writers from Donna Swajeski to Peggy Sloane caused the story to be dropped with Lily returning to Vietnam for an arranged marriage.  It was never clear if they intended for Lily to be a love interest for John or his long lost daughter from the war.

• Members

Reading 1992, I forgot about Michael and Rachel's brief dalliance.  Now that would have been a fun foursome later with Donna & Matthew and Rachel & Michael sparring and interacting. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

The twins turned 18 in 1985. On Marley's 18th birthday she was supposed to receive her inheritance. Victoria had intended to impersonate Marley, claim the inheritance, and leave town. However when Marley needed bone marrow Vicky revealed herself and derailed the impersonation plan. And sweet innocent generous Marley voluntarily said they should split the money anyway. However on their 18th birthday (July 19, 1985 according to the AWHP) it turned out that they would not receive it outright -- they would get an income until they turned 21 when the rest of the money would be released. But soap time being how it is that doesn't necessarily mean that they would be 21 in 1988. Jamie was born onscreen in 1969 but is obviously older than Marley and Victoria during 1985. He seems to be treated as not inappropriately older than Victoria when she gets pregnant with Steven.

• Members

This part of the plan amuses me in retrospect.  I am willing to suspend disbelief that this was the plan of a 17 year old girl and her boyfriend, who had no prior scam experience.  However, was Victoria expecting to be handed a large lottery style check?  I think some ID, beyond wearing a similar wig, would be required for most bank transactions.

• Members

I had forgotten Michael and Rachel had been tested and building since mid 1991..that got cut short by the actor leaving the show.  Shame the show didn't revisit that when he came back in the mid 90s.

And did Iris have any opinion on Michael/Rachel since they had a fling back in the 80s..that never was referenced after 1989..but it did lead to Donna and Iris trading barbs especially when their kids started dating.

• Members

There were No Wigs apparent in the Ellen Wheeler days. Marley wore her hair very neat and straight, and Victoria's hair was typically tousled and wavy, although sometimes she would do it up in a very tight knot. Regarding The Plan, it is difficult to say how well-developed it was since we only got Step One: Jake records video of Marley for Vic to study and learn Marley's voice and mannerisms and Step Two: Bridget Infiltrates the Love household. Since Bridget was on the spot she could have facilitated borrowing any ID Vicky needed to move money around as Marley. Of course transferring large sums of cash would probably have been easy to trace unless Jake and Vicky had a more sophisticated plan to cover their tracks.

• Members

Emmy Award-winning actor Nicolas Coster will be my guest in The Locher Room on Wednesday, May 19th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. In his new memoir, Another Whole Afternoon, Nicolas shares his reflections from a London kid's transition from a British privileged life to becoming an American: from cowboy to factory worker, from movie actor to Presidential Guard, on Broadway to daytime soap opera fame and prime-time TV star. A turbulent but rewarding love life! All in search of creative expression. Along the way introducing disabled scuba divers and fellow celebrities to the wonders of the great undersea world. Truly harrowing Atlantic crossings as well as tranquil tropical splendors...these memories reflect an adventurous life many would envy. Daytime television fans will recognize Nicolas from his popular roles on As the World Turns (Edward Grimaldi), Another World (Robert Delaney) and Santa Barbara (Lionel Lockridge) to name a small number of those roles. In his 70-year career, Nicolas has appeared in over a dozen soap operas, countless primetime television shows and scores of stage and screen productions. This memoir "Another Whole Afternoon" is his first behind the scenes retelling of his life in front of the camera and his adventures beyond it.