Another World

• Members

Alicia Coppola (Lorna Devon - AW) was this week's guest on the Soap Opera Digest Podcast. She talked about how she initially auditioned for the role was recurring and was supposed to be on for only three months. 

She said originally the character's name was going to be Mavis Lane. She said she glad they changed it and that she still has her audition sides. 

Alicia Coppola Guests On Digest’s Podcast - Soap Opera Digest

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wonder what the plan for the Ewing family was, but I imagine they let it get derailed when they decided to fire Laura Malone. In 1983 Blaine had a lot going on with Alma Rudder, her mother Jeanne, and of course her wedding to Sandy. Jeanne told them about Catlin on her deathbed in August and it was at least 6 months before "Josh Peterson" turned up around the time Alex was born. During those 6 months they introduced the story of Sally's secret child Kevin Thatcher and broke up her engagement to Peter. My guess is that they primarily intended him for Sally and his link to the Ewing family was to provide secondary support. 

Blaine was still around for a year after Catlin's arrival, without very much to do because Judy Dewey. Larry lasted two and a half. Catlin was only around for three years altogether though  and that was the end of the Ewing family. Maybe he actually prolonged Larry's story. 

• Members

I agree that Catlin was brought in as a love interest for Sally, and to further her antagonism with the Love family, but not to further the Ewing clan as a legacy family.  Sally was the central character, and plotwise, she needed a romantic ally.  I also think it is credit to MPK, that unlike audience reactions to her contemporaries of Lily at ATWT or Cricket at Y&R, there was very little criticism of her "taking over the show."

I wonder if Blaine mentioned other family members when she was first introduced on the dude ranch?  Did she just work there, or was it meant to be her family's property?

I also wonder how Jeanne knew that Fred had another son, given that he had died four years earlier?

Edited by j swift

• Members

MPK was fantastically appealing but I think there is also credit due to the writing and the casting. Sally might have been the heroine but her relationships with other characters were well-delineated and multifaceted. Cecile's storylines were strong at the same time: where they overlapped with Sally's they complemented each other but each had a separate focus. Likewise Donna's interest in Catlin and her secret room were leading to the reveal that she was Marley's mother. The world didn't grind to a halt every time Sally needed something.

• Members

As the kids say, "I was today years old when I learned that"  I am shocked!  I never put it together that Catlin was Jeanne's son and not Fred's, I had always assumed Fred was the one catting around with bastards strewn here, there, and everywhere.  I guess Blaine had a bit of Jeanne in her all along...

• Members

Unpopular opinion: while Nancy Frangione was a wonderful presence and pulled it off beautifully, I didn't like that they turned Cecile into basically comic relief.

Richard Bekins is giving me strong Benedict Cumberbatch vibes here.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

The special "bitch" exemption was when Cecile left Cass in Mallorca to marry the king of Tanquir in 1984. The kidnapping was from Cass & Kathleen's wedding in 1986. Calling Cecile a bitch in 1984 was meaningful because up until then Cass had been singing her praises to Kathleen. In 1986 he was already over Cecile.

• Members

Yes, making her a caricature of her former self was a disappointment.  The schemes to which Cecile came to Bay City in further incarnations were just over to the top.  The one when she came back homeless and Felicia took her in showed promise.  It would have been great to see her humbled and then rebuild a life start good then revert back to scheming but without the over the top Queen of Tanqueray "...It's Tanquiir mother..." said Vicky to Donna to which Donna replied, "...whatever"  And this give me a chance to repaste my favorite scenes with Donna, Vicky and Cecille.

• Members

I agree that they took Cecile too far over the top; the queen bit was ridiculous. However, Nancy Frangione was so good with comedic elements that I forgave it. Every interaction she has in this episode -- with Rachel, Ada and Donna -- are pure gold. I'd love to see the next episode with her and Vicky getting into it.

Also, this reminds that as increasingly goofy as the Red Swan storyline got, I was thrilled that it got Vicky Wyndham so much air time. Her scene with Carmen Duncan, even though it wasn't the real Iris, was layered with meaning and emotion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lawd! Alan Locher is having a virtual with Jill Farren Phelps... 

Alan Locher will welcome Jill Farren Phelps to his YouTube show, The Locher Room on Wednesday, June 23 at 3 p.m. ET. Phelps has been the EP at ANOTHER WORLD, GH, GUIDING LIGHT, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, SANTA BARBARA AND Y&R and has won 11 Daytime Emmys for her works on soaps.

Jill Farren Phelps Virtual Interview - Soap Opera Digest