Y&R/ Maria Bell losing their way?

• Members

I think that a lot of people are just as quick to Higlify someone as they are to Carlivatize them. Like you said, Greg'sGL, head writers will hit low points. The key is how quickly they dig themselves out of it, how respectful they are of the legacy they leave behind in the process, and how they find a way to turn lemons into lemonade.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a very constructive comment.

The thing that APPEARS to be happening is that there are a core set of characters for whom there seems to be a PLAN. For these characters, there is meticulous setup (Ashley's pregnancy; Mary Jane). It's clear we've been watching build-build-build, and there seems to be some sense of where it is headed. The timing of the ramping up of these stories makes sense too, given that we seem to have seen closed chapters on three stories recently (Kay's amnesia; Winters, Kevin's inner chipmunk).

But what makes less sense is that there seems to be a whole phalanx of other players -- many of whom are not "supporting" (or shouldn't be) who aren't supporting the key stories...they're just languishing. Obviously KSJ and Doug Davidson are the most egregious examples...

And so, the apparent ABSENCE of a plan -- in a regime that plans -- is confusing. At it leads me to feel there IS a plan--the Don Diamont plan. (Backburner, then quietly remove with relatively little fallout). I'm okay with that (the house must be cleaned), but I wish there would be a more proactive way to do it.

For example, with Davidson, why not have Paul pining for Cricket and pining for Ricky? They're both, to the best of our knowledge, in LA. Why not build a story that has -- as its happy conclusion -- Paul's reunion with his son and love off camera in Cali?

The recent casting spoiler in Neil's family makes it seem that we might be at the beginnings of a plan for him. I'm happy. A new job/setting (where he can be stronger than just Victor's acolyte), a stern "talk-to" who can help him recover from his moral lapses....I'm feeling it.

I thought Colleen was being positioned as a threat to JT/Victoria...but how can it be when all three of them are off shooting show/film after film? Then write them off. You cannot invest in characters seen only 3-4 days a month.

• Members

Yep, she was.

No, it wasn't. (Of course, the one misbegotten storyline people cite most - the Carolyn Crawford murder mystery - is one I thought was good, if a bit muddled.)

When Curlee and Marland told great stories, though, they were brilliant. I don't feel such brilliance watching MAB's stuff. I feel as if hers is more journeyman work.

• Members

Good point, Khan. There have been a few stories at the start (Katherine's and Kevin's in particular) that I thought..."Oh, WOW. This is going to be great!" and they ended up good, but not brilliant like a Curlee or Marland story. You're right about that. But in today's soap climate, I believe that MAB is the best thing going.

• Members

First of All Mark H! I am not talking about a week worth of episodes. I am talking about for the last few weeks. The show is BORING and losing it's way. It feels so off THis thread was intended to be about Y&R but some where along the way it has turned into a fued of some kind

• 4 months later...
  • Members

A devious little bump :lol:

Here is what I said 5 months ago:

So, it seems clear that April was the transition point. By this time, the Kay kidnapping had dragged on a big long, and had descended into cartoon...and we had the birth of the Silver Chipmunk. The kidnapping didn't bother me that much because the original Clint-Morey-Lil kidnapping was just as nuts.

But yes, this time marked the transition into the tales that now grace our screen.

For me, though, this one sentence remains true--even now:

"I found much to admire, even in this week..."

See, that's true now. Even though I hate that Colleen is dead/dying, and Deacon has been made into a slimeball, and that the Terroni tale is a bust, and Victoria is like a wet dishcloth, and... I also think the writing and acting of Traci, Jack, Patty, Paul, even Billy have all been good.

But I also can't be help up as the "defender of the regime" right now. That's alphan's job (and even he's having a hard time). I'm not ready to torch the whole creative staff, but I wish we could return to the salad days. I wish I could feel and laugh and enjoy more consistently. But maybe that day will come again...

• Members

Yes, when we get a better and more talented writing team/staff in there.

It's been nearly a half a year since this thread was created, and this current writing regime has shown that things can only get WORSE with them. I'm not going to wait forever for them to find their groove again, which looks like it will never happen.

As I posted in other threads, the first 6 months to a year of a new writing regime is usually the best time. They're wrapping up stories from the previous writing regime and they're putting into motion storylines they've had substantial time to give attention to. HOWEVER, after that 6 months to a year honeymoon period, it's either sink or swim and they show you what they're REALLY made of.

Needless to say, this current writing regime at Y&R has now been there for over a year, and the past 4 to 6 months have been VERY PROBLEMATIC and things seem to be getting increasingly worse.

The "give it time" excuse doesn't work for me. How many years have people been waiting for people like Guza, Higley, Brad Bell, and others to get "better?" Has it happened yet? No.

As with those other writers, Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner's Y&R has imploded and the show is getting worse and worse. You might find some little stuff to enjoy, but even you admit the show overall isn't very good and quite problematic.

Hell, Ron Carlivati might have faltered some last year, but he pushed through and saved most of his stories, despite interference from Frons. That shows real talent. Maria Arena Bell and Company haven't been able to save their worst stories, and they haven't shown me any glimmer of hope in MONTHS.

Archived