Y&R- New mac is boring and robotic :(

• Members

People, People, People, give Mac a break, she's just returned from a war torn country where, genocide, rape, and ethic cleansing were the norm. I don't expect her to be happy and peppy and bursting with joy; she's suspose to be dark and brooding. Maybe next week she'll get her hair done and put on some make-up then that'll show those people in that war torn country.

Geeze.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like her. I think if the senes and story calls for her to smile more she'll be told to do so or hit the door. Anyway I see MAC as being more mature than many in her age bracket on the show. Darfur, giving back which other character in that age group is going through any of that?

• Members

Exactly. (Plus, there is the fact that a man she once had feelings for (before she was told he was her cousin) has more-or-less moved on with his life. That has to have her feeling more than a little confused.) Would it have been (more) appropriate for Mac to re-enter the fray all giggles and pom-pons? I think not.

And for the record? I'm not outraged that Clementine Ford is a lesbian IRL. In fact, I don't care. That was just me, mocking sweet, old moila.

• Members

Yes, she does. Lot's of people look like their parents, but she is practically a copy, especially in that pic that was posted in the thread. IA that it's ok for Mac not to be glammed up considering where she just came from. But I also think eventually she's going to have to go there to some degree. Mac should never care about those things the way Amber and Chloe do, but that doesn't mean she has to be completely plain either. She just hit town though so I don't think it has to be rushed.

• Members

I'm sorry y'all but I agree with moila. She's sleepwalking through all the scenes. I'm not gonna demand a recast just yet, since this her third week but it would be nice if in that scene with Billy at Crimson Lights, she emoted something! Anything!

All I saw was boredom.

And Mac isn't expressive by nature.

But she's never bored.

• Members

I am in a position where I often have to select new employees, and watch them. A rule of thumb for me is this: Don't make any judgments until near the end of the probationary period--usually 6 months.

Few people spark "instantly", and that is not a realistic expectation. You want to see if people can grow into the job.

I don't happen to agree with any of the Mac dissenters here...I think what she is playing is perfectly consistent with the character history (esp. Darfur) and AshBash.

That said, the actress reported that it took her some time to grow into the role...so let's let her do it.

Finally...the six-month rule holds. If we're still all feeling like this six months from now (e.g., as the many dissenters--myself included--of Colleen, Ana, Tyra all show)...THEN it is time to cut bait.

I don't understand the collective impatience that often prevails in soap fandom. "Make 'em laugh, make 'em cry, make 'em wait". I wonder if many modern soap fans actually have the stomach to let this formula work to its fullest?

• Members

There is a lot of comment about the bags under her eyes.

This is Y&R. They are MAGICIANS. I cannot believe that these are 'accidental'. I think Mac got some disease in Africa, and this is going to bring she and Billy closer together.

(I also think that the dark circles under they eyes of "Ryan", the new Walker on Brothers and Sisters, are also not accidental--I think he is a drug addict or mentally ill or something...and we're being given a clue to that).

So, just like with the acting, let's give it time. This is Y&R. There is probably a plan.

• Members

That's definitely missing. Mac's life outside of Billy's.

Maybe if she had a friend she'd be able to talk about what happened in Darfur. I'd like to hear something. And Y&R's great with outdoor sets. It'd be nice if there were a flashback to see.

What's annoying with this whole casting is that when anyone relates with Mac, they don't remark on her experiences in Darfur. Billy's so darn selfish, he doesn't bother asking her how she was able to cope with that. He just puts her up on this pedestal because he can't deal with her as a human being with real issues. So, I don't expect Billy to say anything. But a comment from Katherine? From Jill? From Michael? Colleen? Come on.

Even if she was stiff early on, her experiences alone should have been mentioned, let alone sparked conversation. That wasn't done.

So, if there's a plan intended for those bags and bad hair, I'd like to see it now. Otherwise, bringing back this character will be as non-effective as bringing back Marty on OLTL.

• Members

Stereo type much do ya?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I couldn't agree more and she did admit to her first few weeks as not being good trying to get used to the genre, I suppose. Not many actors would EVER admit to their work not being at their fullest potential. That said, I think the actress is staying very true to the role of Mac.

• Members

Her acting is fine and she seems to be doing what the role calls for. My problem is that I also dont care for the moody, depressed vibe I get from her. I wish she'd smile more as well but like I said, its what the role calls for, especially considering where she's been. I loved Kimsey in the role, and it was probably bc she was more fun and genuinly happy.

Archived