GH Laura Wright vs. Sarah Brown

• Members

So I cannot stand Claudia. But I really miss Sarah Brown as Carly. I think Laura Wright is the best recast for Carly, but at the same time, I think she plays her more like she played Cassie from Guiding Light, and when she needs to be an outright bitch, she can pull it off. She also has the look of a more mature Carly,

Anyway, what does everything think? Who do each of your prefer? Would anyone like to have seen Sarah Brown return in 2005 as Carly?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sarah Brown is by far my favorite, but I like Laura Wright as well. Never cared for Tamara Bruan or the chick that took over for her briefly before Laura Wright returned. Any reason why Sarah Brown didn't return then? Did she not want to play Carly?

• Members

In a recent interview with Nelson Branco she said she does not even identify with the character of Carly anymore, claiming she has matured alot since leaving the role and wouldn't be able to put enough into it. Laura certainly isn't "terrible". She's no Sabine Singh or anything like that, she just can irritate me is all. Jennifer Bradsford (sp) was the girl in between Tamara and Laura.... she never quite gelled.

• Members

Sarah Brown was the best Carly, but I loved Tamara as well. I've also fallen for Laura Wright's portrayal of Carly.

I think Sarah Brown is an incredible actress, but I really can not stand Claudia. What a horrible character.

• Members

SB all the way. I stopped watching GH a bit before SB left and when I go back and see LW she's a great actress she is just not my Carly. SB just made a definitive Carly to me, she just so very well played all the angle of a girl acting out because... Carly was a beyotch but with SB playing her I felt for her where I needed to

• Members

I agree. I sooooo agree. I've gotten used to her, but in no way do I enjoy her. Any chance some other character has at trashing Carly, I LOVE IT because I just dislike Laura Wright in this role. I've screamed it for over a year after the recast that LW plays Carly like some stuck up sorority bitch or a bitchy high school cheerleader. Entitled, spoiled, selfish and superior. Sarah Brown's version showed a girl with abandoment issues and a severe inferiority complex which is what brought out the humanity in the character despite her nasty manipulations.

It's not about the way she plays the two roles as much as it is about the aspects of the character. Sarah Brown isn't a character actress per se. She's a dramatic actress who I think plays characters as extensions of herself. I totally understood Adam's mentioning of SB saying she doesn't identify with Carly anymore. There was a story to tell with Carly when Sarah originated the role. She was able to tap into her emotions and ideas as a young girl in her early 20s to help tell that story. Now, Claudia provides a new set of circumstances for SB to act out.

Honestly, I think the Carly character's usefulness ran out long before Tamara Braun left.

• Members

I've liked them all except for Bransford, she was horrid. It took me awhile to get used to Tamara Braun but when I did, I really liked her as Carly. As far as Laura Wright goes, I like her but she plays Carly much too soft and I always liked the bitchy Carly.

I just don't get the Claudia character, at all. With all the talent that Sarah Brown has, I don't think I could ever like this character but she does seem to be playing her the way that she did with Carly, IMO.

Archived