Sam Hall Interview

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although was I not alive back then (I'll be 30 in December), I think that the OLTL of today owes a lot to Sam Hall and Gordon Russell's stint as writers.

Not only did they pen the Karen Wolek hooker storyline, but they also created the character of Dorian Cramer Lord (originated by Nancy Pinkerton), as well as the Buchanan family. They also started the now famous Dorian/Viki feud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hall_(writer)

• Members

I hope Sam didn't write OLTL circa 83-84, I have watched 30+ episodes on Youtube of that era and all I can say is that it seemed completely dreadful and BORING. The 1979-82 era seems insanely good. I think that husband and wife duo, the Corringtons (who later wrote Capitol) wrote OLTL during the 83-84 era.

Duh. I just checked Wikipedia. The Corringtons only wrote OLTL for 6 months during 83-84. Sam Hall did write OLTL with Edge of Night's Henry Slesar during most of that timeframe. Peggy O'Shea came in at the end of the 1984 era. Peggy O'Shea is one of the best headwriters OLTL ever had. Actually, I will say she was THE best writer (probably 2nd to Russell) that OLTL ever had. 85-87 OLTL was amazing in my opinion. O'Shea won the emmy for her work in 1985. This is back when Niki Smith was written like a human being and not a caricature. Tina befriending Niki, because Niki was so much more like her than Viki, was inspired. I loved the relationship between Tina and Niki.

• Members

85-86 was an excellent era for OLTL, with all that Tina/Viki/Niki secret room stuff. It hadn't gone too far off the deep end yet, (even though i loved every second) I think Niki/Viki on the stand exonerating Tina is some of the best stuff ever.

Peggy O'Shea was born in London and is over 80 now. She appears to act every so often, according to her imdb page. I guess she wrote Capitol for a time before joining OLTL and had a well reviewed run there. It seems that Capitol and OLTL shared a revolving roster of the same headwriters from 83-84. Strange.

• Members

Thanks for posting ! i had No diea he was still alive! i knwo he was hit hard when his wife passed on. He really seemd to largely keep the momentum that Gordon Russell had going--mostly. His pairing with Slesar prob didn't work that well when ABC briefly wanted OLTL to be mor eof a crime show but... Peggy O Shea WAS good she managed to keep Rauch's want for cxamp still quality and in control--when she left for some reason and her associate Michael Schnessel took over it went to Hell

• Members

And yeah iut's a shame he says nothign about Gordon Russell or OLTL (wasn't Hall more of the HW and Russell under him at Dark Sahdows and then it was reversed at OLTL?)

I admit as a fan it's always disappointing to hear that someone doens't think much of their work that you enjoy but, meh, he's honest and fair enough.

"So You Want to Live in the County”. " WHat the Hell is this? some local soap I've never heard of?

• Members

His shame of soaps disappoints me, and his delighting in telling a story about how he sabotaged the main character of "The Brighter Day" and seemingly not even knowing Irna Phillips's name (just "one of the legendary women of television") annoy me.

Irna Phillips took her creations seriously, and it's no wonder she apparently had little patience for the work of others when it involved stuff like this.

But I will cut some slack because he's 88.

Archived