CBS cancels Guiding Light

• Members

This.

It's obviously too late to talk [!@#$%^&*] about Wheeler and debate about what caused what that caused this that made the show go bye-bye. Too late for that, thanks. All we can do now is hope that the show gets enough publicity from this over the next five months that by the time the end comes, CBS will treat it with the most respect possible.

Personally, I want the show to end with some kind of event at the lighthouse, with the entire cast, crew, returning cast members, returning crew members, fans, WHOEVER, standing out around the lighthouse as Hold on to Love plays majestically. Clips/flashbacks are a must because, frankly, who gives a [!@#$%^&*] about trying to stay "current" or trying to get new viewers when you only have half a year left to go. Once they got the cancellation notice, they should have become 100% about celebrating 72 years of characters, storylines, performers, writers, producers, fans, etc. I want this thing to air in daytime, but I also want it to air in primetime as well, and again, CBS should throw ratings out the window just to give this show the respect it deserves. If they advertise it enough, people will watch. Even if they know nothing about GL, they'll still tune in for the final episode if its in primetime.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unbelievable. Saddest news ever, the show had vastly vastly improved in the last couple of months.

On a selfish note, I better get some good Dinah stuff from now through September. She's my all-time favorite character, the thought of losing that character - especially played by Gina is so so sad to me, but I want a lot of Dinah/Vanessa scenes from now through September (and please Jerry, come back somehow for a few episodes).

• Members

Pretty much. I was thinking about it, and I always thought of GL (along with ATWT) as my grandmother's "show." But damn...it's even older than she was, by three years. Seventy-two years! Damn! 72! The earth should stop turning on 9/18, it's that big of a deal. Even if a person has absolutely no interest in soaps or GL at all, whatsoever, at ALL, they have to respect that the show went on for 72 years! NOTHING else has that. Nothing else. And CBS needs to get their acts together and realize that this is a phenomenal event.

I want massive publicity. I want everyone in the world to know that GL is going off the air after 72 years. You won't even have to acknowledge how many years it's been on. People who are in their late 60s can tell you that they grew up listening to or watching GL. That's how [!@#$%^&*] old it is. And it needs to be respected. I want DVDs, retrospectives, documentaries, clip shows, books, special editions of magazines, T-shirts, hats, mugs, and stirrups, damn it! I need stirrups!

• Members

Jeff Branson? I don't think so after the way they treated him on AMC...

Gina Tognoni will be on OLTL by the end of the year 100 %. LOL.

Crystal Chappell hmmm.. maybe... I always thought she will some day come back as Liza Colby... that ain't happening...

• Members

I'm not surprised at all, GL has been low rated for years now and hasn't been at the top of it's game for a very long. I imagine that the hour will end up going to local stations, I can't see CBS putting anything in that spot that would get them ratings. It's quite sad, though I've never been a GL watcher, it has a huge legacy that spans for decades.

• Members

I don't know why soaps don't start putting old episodes online or something.....

I would pay a fee for it too. Once these shows all die (which will happen).... they can't be locked away forever. They need to live on, in some form.

• Members

TV Week talks of GL's possible replacements.....I'm surprised they're not giving the time back to the affiliates:

$25,000 Pyramid’ Contender to Replace ‘Guiding Light’

By Josef Adalian

A new version of "The $25,000 Pyramid" from Sony and producer Michael Davies ("Who Wants to Be a Millionaire") is one of the projects CBS is considering as a replacement for "Guiding Light."

Neither Sony nor CBS would comment. However, two people familiar with the situation said Mr. Davies and Sony have come up with a reworking of the classic "Pyramid" game show format designed to fit into CBS' daytime lineup.

The new take likely would be an hour in order to fill the timeslot vacated by "Guiding Light," which ends its CBS run in September (link: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/04/cbs_wil...ght_in_sep.php).

While "Pyramid" is a contender to replace "Light," it's not CBS' only option. The network is said to be considering contenders produced in-house, including talk shows.

Whatever CBS chooses to replace "Light," the network may want to launch a property with a pre-sold brand attached. Luring new audiences to daytime won't be easy, and having a show with a concept or host that's already well-known would make CBS' marketing job easier.

"Pyramid," of course, fits that mold—and is no stranger to CBS. The Dick Clark-hosted "$10,000 Pyramid" bowed on CBS daytime in 1973. It later moved to ABC, as well as syndication, and then returned to CBS in the 1980s, running until 1988.

Sony last attempted to revive "Pyramid" in 2002, launching a syndie version of the show with Donny Osmond as host.

The studio is already a leading supplier of daytime programming to networks, distributing Corday Productions' "Days of Our Lives" to NBC and producing "The Young and the Restless" for CBS.

(Editor: Baumann)

Archived