Best soap right now?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everything's relative.

Based on the soaps on the air it is not that hard to be the "best" or is it saying much. Have you seen the brilliance of B&B? LOLLLLLL

Based on sheer consistency, Y&R wins.

OLTL goes from the best (imo) to unwatchable in mere weeks.

Y&R is not riveting, must see, or particularly good as of late. I read the posts here and feel like I am watching a different show.

It is tedious and downright boring. But generally, produced so well that it makes up for alot of it.

• Members

Ditto. I've never understood all the praise that GH gets for its dialogue. To me it always seems so narcissistic, sarcastic and desperate. It's as if the writers are constantly trying to release some sort of weird passive-aggression through the characters, LoL.

Every once in a while, they manage to write a few good scenes with dialogue that really jumps off the page, but more often than not it's very mediocre, IMO. Especially when compared to a show like Y&R, which seems so much more maturely and intelligently written by comparison.

• Members

Spinelli and Winifred's rambling priestess and jackal conversations? Or Rebecca screaming, "don't let me burn!" Oh, the brillance. Not.

Maybe people only remember those good scenes which are sporadic because I simply don't hear good dialogue on daily basis. If anything the dialogue is disjointed and farcical. It seems like different writers write different scenes in the same story.

I don't consider Y&R's dialgue to be outstanding, but rather stodgy. However, Y&R has more coherent stories and better actors which helps.

• Members

Y&R's dialogue IS stodgy and very stylized (sp?). But somehow the old fashioned-ness is comforting.

But some might find it laugh out loud horrible. B&B for instance is downright CLUNKY in the dialogue department, while OLTL is WAY to cutesy and tries to hard to be modern in a wink wink kinda way.

I like how the characters have lengthy conversations like normal people.

As far as GH, I find Maxie especially well written dialogue wise.

Its a shame that Guza headwrites this show because the dialogue writers are very good. They need a new headwriter with a fresh view.

And my god, I have barely started watching GH again- and cannot stand this hospital virus/fire garbage.

• Members

But Maxie's dialogue is a mish mash of the same thing over and over again. "I'm so selfish, I'm not worthy, I'm self-destructive because I have survivor guilt and my parents abandoned me, Spinelli is the bestest ever." Kirsten does a good job delivering the lines, but there is nothing new or creative about the dialogue. I'm not saying that the writers don't have their moments, but as a rule, they seem to stumble through. Half the time, I can't figure out what we are suppose to be feeling or getting from the dialogue and the direction. Maybe it is Guza's incompetence rubbing off on them, but the dialogue for this sweep stunt has been particularly embarrassingly bad.

• Members

Oh after last week I have zoned out on GH- my dialogue views are through February 5th or so. loll

Very rarely can a "full town disaster" storyline have good dialogue. This is just Guza and JFP playing the emmy game for 2010. JFP started the "one episode special effects spectacular" so why stop something that brings the show undeserved praise in the form of emmys!

• Members
Mhmm, but I think it suits the show and the characters. For the most part, the dialogue has been like this for years and it's hard to imagine the show written any differently.

I can't even imagine the characters on Y&R speaking some of the mind-numbing lines that are written for characters on other soaps.

• Members

For me it's Y&R...I stopped watching all other soaps years ago because they all basically have the same plot lines and heaven knows I hate redundancy.

With that said, I am impressed and not impressed by MAB at the same time. Impressed because she has brought back QUALITY to the show and the nice flowing dialogue that I have always loved. Plus she has the best cast in daytime and they are really all showing me why they are the best. My favorite has been seeing Jeanne Cooper, Jess Walton and Michelle Stafford getting back into the swing of things. I am however unimpressed because we are back to the predictability of the storylines because she hasn't shown me one yet where I haven't been the least surprised - it's like I am waiting for the punchlines and never getting it.

The best storyline on the show right now is Katherine/Murphy because it's so refreshing to see an older couple find romance. I have even gotten my mum to start watching the show and she only watches for them. How great is that.

Archived