Best soap right now?

• Members

Which soaps are best and worst right now in your opinion? And I mean now, February 2009 and not best soap of all times. ;)

The reason I ask is because I haven´t really followed a soap in months now and I am wondering which one is worth looking into at the moment.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guiding Light. :wub:

Not that I'm biased or anything. :D

But seriously, I would have to say it. Although I only watch Y&R and GL and while Y&R has some good moments lately, I just think GL has been knocking it out of the park since 2009 started. I was happy to see them finally get some recognition in both SOD (Editor's Choice) and SOW (JB as Shayne for "Applause Applause"). They're bringing back a couple of favorites and getting rid of some dead weight. The writing has been outstanding these past few weeks. IMO, their only flaw right now is the pairing of Mallet/Marina. But I've gone from mostly having it in the background while I'm doing something else, to watching it late at night or on the weekends to having to see it the minute I walk in the door. I'm pretty vocal most places about how I'm digging Otalia, but the rest of the stories have really piqued my interest again and it's must see TV for me these days!

• Members

I watch at least one or two eps of AMC, ATWT, OLTL, and Y&R a week. Sometimes I tune into GL, and then a little bit less than that, I tune into B&B. Less than that would be GH, and it's usually very, very rare that I watch DAYS. So, of the ones I watch regularly, I'd say Y&R is the top, then OL, then AMC.

• Members

Ya know. We always harp about how daytime is in such a rut, but for the first time in AWHILE, it does seem that we have more than 1 show at a time that is on a positive trend. Y&R is about as close to perfect as one can expect today. OLTL has been quite good under Carlivati. GL is (slowly) trying to pull itself together for once. AMC, although getting mixed reviews from some, is getting better under Pratt.

It's a good trend that I hope continues. I just hope that this translates into some ratings stability. Of course to counterbalance all that out, DAYS is in freefall, B&B and GH are still rather lackluster. But there are always waves of success/failure.

• Members

1)Y&R- Impeccably produced soap opera- not groundbreaking or particularly creative, just classic soap done better than any other. And the show doesn't have the desperation to MAKE you watch. Features characters of all ages. And is very much character driven.

2)OLTL- Heartfelt, contemporary, lots of humor (that alot of people don't seem to like or find funny), this show has ALOT going on and tries too hard to make you watch at times. You can feel the writer's love for the show. More hit or miss than Y&R, but it tries to be noticed and be different while adhering to classic soap storytelling. Like Y&R, it features vets very well. And its the only ABC soap that doesn't look like complete and utter s-it.

Archived