Best soap right now?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am intrigued to know what you don't like about Y&R, because recently I have hardly seen you make a negative comment towards it.

Y&R is clearly to the top in daytime right now, even moderately decent shows like OLTL and AMC pale in comparison.

• Members

Mostly certain actresses, you know which ones I'm talking about, and you know if I bash them in every thread, that particular thread will become a constant war over people who hate them and people who like them...

Also, they Winter's don't click for me, none of them have any fire or zest, and they're isolated for the most part. But they're very C storyline material anyway. I do enjoy Neil better in a business environment, but not his personal life.

But overall, the show is very solid right now. There's always going to be stuff we don't like, but as long as the show as a whole is working for me, I'm happy. I certainly wouldn't trade what we have now for anything Lynn Latham would come up with. ::shutters::

• Members

Most people don't have any negative comments about Y&R. lolll. It is not a very divisive show like OLTL is. It is classic soap.

And I don't agree that OLTL pales in comparison.

OLTL is very different in tone from Y&R and not for everyone.

I stand by my opinion that Y&R is #1, but that doesn't mean I agree with the much of the overpraise of it.

Relatively speaking, It IS the best soap on the air.

• Members

Oh- Alvin hates- JUST HATES- OLTL's scriptwriters!!! LOLLLLLLLLLL

He did make me listen to GH's scripts much more- I actually payed attention to the show, and I must say that GH's scripts are primetime quality- whereas Y&R has that old fashioned 50's dialogue style- there is a non-soapy intelligence and adult sounding quality to GH's scripts. OLTL's is very contemporary but has that O.C or Dawson's Creek "aren't we so smart and clever" quality that can sometimes leave OLTL sounding sitcom-y.

As far as I am concerned OLTL's weakness is too many characters that have overstayed their welcome- From Todd to Tika to the entire Santi/Montez clan. And the tone of the show is so schizo- The combination of camp and high comedy and high drama does not always work.

As far as Y&R- I am pretty much with WorldTurner- The Winters.(I find Nia Peeples very appealing though) A few horrendous actors, and the Fisher clan does NOTHING for me. Every one of them.

And both shows could use a good, longterm psycho. I prefer female psychos.

• Members

I'm hopelessly biased; I don't watch Y&R and I love OLTL half the time, so it's OLTL by default. Ron Carlivati has seen much better days than this, but the show is IMHO divided between grand glory and either pointless or well-intentioned crap. However, if it does half of what is swirling around about its imminent future, it will rocket back to full force again.

• Members

I agree...my skin crawls when I watch GH. People say GL has lost its identity, and I find that GH is faaaar more unrecognizable than GL. I have no interest to even check in on GH.

A major problem with Y&R and OLTL is that they've failed as far as diversity is concerned - as they both used to be industry leaders in that area. The story OLTL has chosen to tell with its Latino characters is rather insulting, and Y&R just doesn't know what to do with its black characters, outside of Lily, who barely interacts with her family. Neil and Karen have potential because they are played by great actors - the writers have shown particular lack of imagination with Neil - and they've never really tried with Devon. And I think Bryton could bring it if challenged.

• Members

Y&R is the best soap. After Y&R, the remaining soaps are bunched together.

I have seen praise for GH's dialogue and scripts on this board and I simply don't see this on the screen. The storytelling is convoluted and nonsensical. The dialogue is inane and ridiculous. The quality of prime time scripts must be really bad.

Archived