ABC vs CBS's Style

• Members

wondering what do you enjoy more? CBS who focusses on the vetrain cast member's and more on storylines or ABC which is more plot and the yonger generation cast memeber's

as a fan of Y&R and the B&B I can't stand the constant plot plot plot ABC soaps plus everytime I turn on GH I don't reconize any of the actors unlike at the Y&R where the cast member's/actors have been with the soap for ever thats my type of soap

whats your preffernce CBS or ABC?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B&B's biggest weakness is that it focuses too much on its vetearan cast members. Eric/Stephanie/Ridge/Brooke are ALWAYS frontburner. They rarely ever get a rest and it gets tiring. Alot of good characters get pushed to the side and actors get wasted. It would be alright if there was more balance but sadly there isnt much

Out of the ABC soaps, OLTL tends to have a heavier emphasis on the vets and AMC has been better about that as well. I much prefer this network's soaps. Always have as its what Ive been brought up on.

That really only applies to Y&R and a lesser degree B&B. ATWT and especially GL are revolving doors with constant recasts and newbies.

• Members

I'll agree with you on ATWT. That's why I couldn't watch it anymore. But a majority of GL's cast has been there for many years. Plus, last I heard, GL was getting ready to dump most of the new "characters". I don't know anything about ABC soaps though, so it'd be hard for me to make the comparison of CBS v. ABC.

• Members

Oh you knew I would have to add:

ABC SOAPS ARE THE CHEAPEST AND UGLIEST AND MOST TERRIBLY LIT SHOWS EVER.

The crown jewel GH looks the worst. The women don't even wear makeup.

(OLTL is generally pretty- with the exception of the Angel Square Hotel, Marcie and Michael's brown apartment, and La Boule, which is lit as brightly as AMC, which I believe is a sign of the crews absolute hatred of Robin Strasser who reportedly treats the crew like garbage- And that's how a lighting designer can have his revenge- by making you look like crap).

Can I add one other thing, I have never watched ATWT for more than 5-10 minutes here and there, but its on after B&B. I find it very cozy looking. The sets seem very small but very homey. Not cheap at all.)

Other than that, CBS sucks too. lollllll

Y&R and B&B aren't CBS to me. They are Bell shows. Maria Bell and Paul Rauch can basically tell CBS to f-ck off- and get away with it. Y&R will be on the air for the next 20 years, long after all the other soaps have left.

• Members

I know a lot of us don't even really notice the background music, but the CBS shows' soapy instrumental music is 100 times better than ABC's.

And ABC always cuts to commercial very abruptly -- CBS 99% of the time slowly fades to commercial. The fade looks so much better on Soaps.

• Members

I hate that abrupt commercial cuts as well. The fades are much more classier. ABC tends to focus on younger folks, there sets more eye catching and youthful looking. ( I really like AMC's club set)

CBS's are more traditional. I myself perfer CBS to ABC.

Not only that ABC"S soaps openings all look and feel the same.

Then again ATWT doesn't even have one no more. AND Y&R's need an update.

Archived