bandbfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Making my way through Season 9, which I have mostly never seen before. When I first watched some of the episodes years ago without the context of having seen season 8 first, I mostly disliked them, found Doggett boring, and Reyes annoying. But now that I've seen it all in order, got to know the characters and watched them evolve, the show is SO much better than the general consensus will have you believing. In fact, most stand-alone episodes are ten times better than some of the drivel in seasons 6 and 7 which was nearly un-watchable. I have also grown to really like the new format of Doggett and Reyes, with Scully helping them (of course, more Scully is always good). You could almost see the show going on had it not been for the fans' refusal to accept an existence without Duchovny and Mulder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've always been agnostic on The X-Files. Some of it I really enjoy, a lot of I've always found very strangely neutered because of Chris Carter's prose and strange attitude about human relationships. But the actors are really unique, some of the mythology is very interesting and a lot of the stories stick with you. Like I've said before, it's grown on me in years since so I'll be watching this on Sunday (and Monday, it's a two-day event for the premiere). The reviews are very iffy on the Chris Carter-penned premiere, but the others sound interesting.

This is also a little surprising:

• Members

That was fantastic. The Mulder/Scully chemistry is just as alive as ever. The way they retooled the conspiracy was amazing and typically X-Files crazy. They weren't kidding when they said this would be the same show we've always known -- down to them keeping the original opening credits, as well as the executive producer title card at the end. I was afraid any X-Files return would be watered down in terms of the government and the conspiracies, but they REALLY went there, the same way they did in the early 90s and in a fashion that would have never been allowed in the 24 era. And that ending!

Also, the girl playing Sveta was great (so sad about her ending) and when did Joel McHale become SO fcking hot????

Archived