OLTL: Discussion for the week January 12th

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same here. However, it'll be a shame when Kathy Brier and Chris Stack exit, b/c Michael and Marcie lend a down-to-earth quality to the show that is refreshing (IMO). They aren't as campy or OTT as many on the show are.

Oh, I think Lola, Vanessa, etc. will be gone way before that. Nothing about them says "long-term" to me, anyway, which is why I'm not as worked-up about them as others.

• Members

I will only accept Marcie and Michael leaving once they get baby Hope back. That would be a beautiful, fitting conclusion to their stories. I will also accept if they stay, because they are interesting and fun characters.

As for LolaNessa... I say recast both actresses first and then see how the story goes, then get rid of them if it still bombs.

• Members

I actually have really grown to like Camila Banus as Lola. She has an underlying darkness to her and I think she can be a GREAT two-faced bitch for the younger set, and the rest of the canvas would HAVE to give her a little leeway because she's Langston's cousin and last blood relative and Langston's only connection to her family that's left in Llanview (since Ray's in prison at the moment). Starr/Cole/Langston/Markko are all such great friends that they need Lola to shake them up a little. I see great potential in her, even if it turns out she killed her mother and blocked it out.

Vanessa however, needs to go, and I'd accept the rewrite of HER being the murderer just to get her off my screen. The sex between Cristian and Vanessa wasn't even hot and both the actors are sexy as hell! Of course because David Fumero couldn't subtext his way out of a paper bag, and I've already gone off in one of these OLTL threads about Jacqueline Hendy not being allowed to play her strengths in this role and actually show us who Vanessa is. So the whole sex scene fell flat because we didn't see any of this tension building up over time. It was just horrendous.

ITA with Marcie/Michael's down-to-earth quality, and I find them refreshing as well. They're such a great underdog couple, I'd hate to see them leave the canvas because they could really throw any relatable story to them and they'd make it human and interesting, while everyone else is running around talking to their other personalities, shooting Iraqi boys, and coaching people to jump off buildings because of rape. I really wish they'd explored Michael/Layla more while he and Marcie were so distant because if they'd committed to it, we might have started to see an affair forming that none of the parties involved had seen coming until they were in the middle of it.

Tika Sumpter is another one who hasn't been allowed to play her strengths. She's a gorgeous woman, and when she first came on Layla wanted to be an actress and didn't seem to have a problem lying. I thought she'd be a great villainess for the canvas to balance out her virtuous, grounded sister Evangeline. But she became everyone's friend instead of giving her a story. She's the perfect example of a great actress whose character has never had a commitment from the writers. Have roommates Layla and Talia EVER had a conversation about having both been involved with Antonio?!

• Members

The problem I have with OLTL right now is the characters I wouldn't miss are the characters who are onscreen 3 to 4 days a week, like Todd, Starr, or Marty.

They've made me care about Jessica, so that's a nice surprise.

I hope Scott Clifton repopularizes vests among men, because he looks mighty nice in his vest.

• Members

I happen to still find the DID storyline to be a riveting and totally new take on the idea that they've never done before on OLTL. They're really exploring the trauma that comes with the disease for the people around the ill person, and what it means to have to try and recover and raise a family.

• Members

Is the oral sex really a big deal?

It's not like they showed her pull Tuc Watkins' lil' Buddha out of his pants (not that I'd be complaining! YUM!), and showed her really doing anything. Maybe he just likes her to tongue his belly button?

I thought it was a funny way to show that Dorian can make a man do ANYTHING, even lose his religion. If champagne and caviar weren't doing the trick, she needed to use her sexual wiles. Nibbling his earlobe wasn't going to do the trick, obviously she had to take drastic measures.

I didn't mind it, and it wasn't terribly graphic. Or is it Dorian's age that has people grossed out? Would it be so upsetting if it was Jess/Tess/Bess and Brody? Natalie & Jared?

Dorian deserves her oral sex too!

• Members

It wasn't that Dorian gave David a blow job, per se. For me, it was ridiculous because...okay, we're to believe that Dorian Lord, grande dame that she is, gives head at the drop of a hat, in her living room? It was so out of place and just silly, really, and the way comical way it went by didn't help. It makes Dorian look like a cheap ho.

• Members

Not like Dorian never blew Victor Lord in his hospital bed. Emerald pendants and sable coats don't buy themselves. I think Dorian just wanted some action, a little challenge you know, a lot of ladies take just as much (if not more) pleasure in the *giving*. Not to say that I wasn't TOTALLY jaw drop surprised though. Dorian was already boasting those store-bought boobs that day, but I had no idea that such sexually-driven scenes were to come. Come to think of it, maybe she didn't even have to use her mou... I'm gonna leave that alone. As the church mothers used to say, "Y'all pray my strenf in Chrice." :D

• Members

It was a challenge! Dorian has never met a man she couldn't wield power over, and it took extreme measures to get David where she wanted him! Maybe she was giving him a foot massage!

It's true, it's not often that we see the hintings of oral sex on TV, but I wouldn't say it was any more graphic than some of the shower scenes on this soap or others.

I actually think a handjob would have been more graphic and inappropriate. And most of Dorian could have stayed above the table.

Archived