American Idol: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched Idol the other night... (the guys, of course) the only one to me that stood out was the guy with the long Blonde hair that Kara was having an orgasm over. The dude who sang "American Woman" was ok... but he's a little scrawny and strange looking. All in all, there's pretty slim pickings this year. I got to say I DON'T LIKE ELLEN. How much are they paying her to do this? She just doesn't belong on that panel, she's a comedian, for God's sake... and not a very good one at that. My main beef is that although Ellen is a big music lover, she has little or no technical knowledge, no real history in the music business... she simply doesn't bring anything to the table. What they SHOULD have done for the fourth panelist position was to get a different guest judge each week, someone form the world of music. Older artists, producers, songwriters... because of course, the idea is for the older people with experience to impart sage wisdom to these youngsters. One week you could have Nile Rodgers, then the next week Wynonna, then Jon Bon Jovi, then Marilyn McCoo, Then Carole King, then Kenny Gamble, etc.. and so on. Kind of like they did last year with those celebrity "Mentors" except have them on the panel each week. It would put some SPARK and unpredictablilty to the proceedings, cause you never know how a given celeb is gonna mix with Simon and his attitude, some may even dress him down (People would LOVE that). And the best part, I bet you could do that for CHEAPER than what theyr'e paying Ellen.

• Members

Idol has become about the freak show and about the judges and their control issues. Music is irrelevant. Kara and Randy are the most useless twits possible, and any success they had in the music industry has never been reflected on this show. Kara is a desperate, insecure, attention-seeking presence and I can see where they thought they needed to balance her out, if they weren't going to dump her.

• Members

Idol is a burnt out husk of a show, a shadow of what it was. The talent sucks, so there is no getting around that, and then the fiasco with the judges is hard to stomach. Paula was ditzy, but she was perfect for the show and the perfect set up for Simon. Kara is not interesting to listen to at all, and must there be an ego stroking close up on Ellen every five minutes? She is not the star of the show, I don't watch it to see if she will be funny, her comments are sort of pointless ("I know nothing about music...") and there was no reason for her addition.

• Members

I totally agree with your post. Paula should have been kept another year until her and Simon started his new show. Kara is boring to watch. Out of all the people to choose why did Idol pick Ellen?? She knows zero about music and her comments make me cringe. The judges should have stayed at 3 without Ellen.

And yes yes yes yes...the talent this year totally sucks. The best voice is Andrew Garcia...but watch him NOT win. For some reason the Idol people are trying to push the females this year. Hell last years finalists havent done squat...lol. Kris Allen??.....hmmmm......nothing happening with him.....Adam watch me kiss a guy and grab his privates/suck his privates....nada.....lol

• Members

Well, I'm watching for Andrew Garcia. I've been subscribing to his and AJ Rafael's songs on Youtube for such a long time. They've both got so much talent. But I must say I was shocked when I found out Andrew was gonna be on AI. lol

When he did Straight Up in Hollywood it just showed what a great musician he is. Loved it!

Plus he's married to a Filipina... so am I(Filipino in my case though). :D

Team Garcia all the way!!!

• Members

Todrick was an arrogant douchebag tonight...I'd be an arrogant douchebag, too, if I had Simon every week giving contradicting criticizm. Ususally he's all like... "You sang it too much like the original, you have to make it your own" he just beats these kids over the head with it... and then Todrick does it to Tina's song, and he gets blasted for it. I LIKED what he did to it, I just thought he was a tiny bit under pitch for most of it, and made a few bad phrasing choices. I liked the CONCEPT of what he did, but the execution fell short. Which one got criticized last time for too much dancing??? I can't remember. But if I were on that panel, and Kara had just said that his performance seemed stiff, I would have said... "That's because !@#$%^&*] Simon told him he was dancing too much!!" He crushed the boy's spirit, and tonight he appeared stiff and self conscious because of it. If he moves alot, just let the boy be HIMSELF. Simon always has this thing against anyone who does dance moves, for some reason... he ain't no judge of anything good most of the time. Ellen just never has anything constructive to offer, she just parrots what someone else says... or offers lame, lukewarm encouragement. She's not BOMBING, she's getting along on her personality... but she's obviously really out of her depth.

• Members

Eh, I somewhat enjoyed the show last night. I can't believe I can actually tell them all apart now (the girls is a different story). I liked Alex's performance the best. Well, I liked his singing the best. The performance was dull as dishwater, and he looked nervous as hell.

Jermaine is a douche of the highest order, and I'm sure God knows that.

Aaron is such a cute little lesbian.

• Members

I actually think Ellen's doing a good job as judge so far. Ron, Kris Allen and Adam Lambert both are currently in the Top 20 on the Pop Airplay chart with "Live Like We're Dying" and "Whataya Want from Me". Both are good songs, in Adam's case, a pretty awesome song. Adam's cd is good, although I was disappointed it wasn't more rock oriented.

I think America got it wrong last week. All 4 voted off last week shouldn't have been. Haley Vaughan was absolutely horrible as was the red-headed thing that tortured us with "Landslide", Stevie Nicks and Natalie Maines should get together and bitch-slap her, lol. Also Michael Lynche and John Park should've been the guys to go. Ashley Rodriguez was an early fave of mine and I'm so sad to see her go.

The 1st week, I think the best guys were Lee Dewyze (made me like a song I hate for the most part), Casey James (loved his "Heaven"), and Todrick Hall (I thought his version of the Kelly Clarkson song "Since You Been Gone" was awesome and hypocritical of the judges for slamming him changing the song). The girls were led by Crystal Bowersox.

My rankings for last night.....

(1) Lee Dewyze-----I didn't think he was off-key at all. I actually think I liked his "Lips of an Angel" better than Hinder's.

(2) Casey James-----I thought he was just a little worse than last week, but still good, awesome guitar skills too! Made Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want to Be" more rocking,

(3) Tim Urban----better than last week, Great song choice for his voice--Matt Nathanson's "Come On Get Higher", Glad Simon liked him and Kara gave a pretty good critique too. (I thought he was good last week too).

(4) TIED--Michael Lynche-----although I wanted him gone the first week of the Top 24 and didn't even want him in the Top 24, it pains me to say that he was good. His take on James Brown's "It's a Man's World" was a great choice for him. I hope this is a one-time thing lol.

(4) TIED--Alex Lambert--- Much better, good guitar playing, much. His version of John Legend's "Everybody Knows" was good!

Bottom 5 --- any of these could go home.

(6) 3 way TIE

Todrick Hall------bad song choice, why would a guy do Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to Do With It?"?, last part of it was ok, disappointed in one of my early faves. Don't think he's as bad as the judges seemed to think. Sick of the hypocritical judging of him and Jeremiah by the judges saying to keep the songs the same and not change, but telling most, if not all to "make the song your own"

Jeremiah Sellers-----another horribe choice by another one of my early faves, getting sick of his cockiness, I don't think he was as bad as the judges thought,tired of contestants doing this song "What's Going On"(Marvin Gaye)

Aaron Kelly---I actually thought he was a little worse than last week , His Temptations cover "My Girl" was ok, but too teeny bopper for me. Not my cup of tea.

(9) Andrew Garcia---yet another major disappointment by Garcia (and yet another early fave of mine), could very easily go home due to his blah version of a blah song that I never heard of (James Morrison and "You Give Me Something")

(10) John Park---another early fave of mine and he should be gone this week, bad, bad song choices and needs more practie, can't believe this guy is a lead singer of a band, lmfao. (and I like John Mayer's "Gravity" and

• Members

The girls...................

(1) Lilly Scott --- Awesome on Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come". I first thought it was a mistake to sing that song, but she proved me wrong in a few seconds. Crystal has some serious competition in Lilly. Her best performance so far, and agreed "a moment" for her!

(2) Crystal Bowersox----her take on Credence Clearwater Revival was awesome. Glad she's made it back and like Ellen said, we need her in this competition.

(3) Siobhan Magnus----quite a bit better than last week. Again, first thought she made a huge mistake in doing Aretha's "Think", but she made it her own and shined. Her best performance so far.

(4) Katelyn Epperly---Her best performance so far as well. Coldplay's "The Scientist" is boring (as most of Coldplay's stuff is imho), but she did good with it.

(4) Katie Stevens---good singing, sung "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae much, much, much better than the pitiful Rae (maybe the most over-rated singer EVER). She does (as the judges keep telling her) to sing "younger". Still a little disappointed in her.

(6) Paige Miles --- I thought her version of Kelly Clarkson's "Walk Away" was pretty good. But a little disappointed in her too.

(7) Didi Benami --- wrong, wrong song for her, Bill Withers' "Lean On Me" not Didi's type of song imho. Won't be long before she's gone, could be this week, but probably next (hopefully).

(8) Michelle Delamor-----why on Earth did she sing Creed's "With Arms Wide Open", an awesome rock ballad that needs a strong voice singing it, Michelle definitely illustrated that she does not possess a very strong voice. Weak version of one of my fave songs by Creed. Scared for this former fave of mine.

And the 2 that most definitely should go home (they should've last week)

(9) Haeley Vaughn --- singing Miley Cyrus's "The Climb" should've been right for her, but isn't. I've come to the conclusion that Haeley just cannot sing, or needs a helluva lot of practice. Please get her off IDOL asap people. LOL

(10) Lacey Brown --- this girl cannot sing at all imho, Why was this very irritating "singer" put through to the Top 24. "Kiss Me"(Sixpence None the Richer), I think not, Kiss my a$$ definitely!

• Members

Ellen sucks...lol. Even my co-workers think she sucks. She is bad. Kris Allen's CD is a total bomb. He is a mediovre singer at best. I wish he hadnt won Idol now. Adam Lambert's first single was ok...I kind of liked it. I just heard "Whataya Want from Me" on the radio last week. It is actually pretty good. I still think Adam should be busting up the charts right now.

Archived