Y&R: Week of December 22, 2008

• Members

I recall that Shari's Ashley ramped up the bitchy aspect,at least initially.It was a big contrast to Brenda,didn't evoke Eileen and Shari didn't deliver,so it was a miss on all counts.

Those storylines mentioned demonstrate how shows can get into trouble,by not integrating core people into the stories.

The Ashley/Adam thing was a snore from day one.Here was an unfamiliar actress interacting with a new character,in a bland storyline,totally seperate from anything else.If Bill Bell had any longterm plan for this,it wasn't apparent.

With Kurt,they tried to link him with Katherine,but as I recall,after their initial interaction,that link was lost.

On a side note,I recall when Kurt's past was being investigated,they visited his wife's father(I think).Anyway,he was living in Brad's house! That set hadn't been used for a while,but there it was.I recall the camera angles were tight so it might not be as recognisable,but there was no mistaking that set.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hated Shari Shattuck as Ashley. Awful actress IMO, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out where the hell they got her from. When ever she would try to act mad or bitchy, I couldn't but laugh cause she was such a bland actress that it came off totally fake. She also lacked any chemistry with her co-stars(especially with love interests). I was so happy when she left and ED returned.

• Members

I haven't watched today's episode yet, but I plan on watching it later. I had a question. I read that since Michael wasn't around, Danny died and Phyllis lost custody of Daniel. That would mean Cassie never died. Did they make any mentions of Cassie?

• Members

Today's episode was great. It was a bit of fantasy without getting off the topic of what's happening to these characters. I'm at a place where I want to see more holiday stuff from Y&R...IMO, this story line was pure gold.

I thought it would have been funny if they did a world of Y&R without LML- but this worked too.

• Members

I loved the episode first because it was focused on my favorite actors and second because it was an homage to my favorite holiday movie, "It's a Wonderful Life". Sure it's a bit hokey and if you analyze it too deeply you can find holes in how the characters behave just because Michael was never born, but I have always loved the message the movie delivers. It makes me think about what my family and friends would be like if I was never in their lives and appreciate my life more.

Nobody would want a steady diet of these types of stand alones, but it was a nice gift for the holidays. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, just don't watch it. Skip it and let people who are sentimental and do like these special holiday shows enjoy it. It is one episode shown when most people are out shopping or celebrating the holidays. It allowed some actors to stretch some of their acting muscles. The writing was full of nods to the histrory of these characters, the acting was once again top notch and it was a true homage to a beloved holiday movie all completed in 38 mins. Not bad. No doubt, the show will get back to it's regular focus next week, but this was a nice treat.

• Members

I am a sentimental freak during the holidays- and this stuff actually is my cup of tea (I raved about OLTL's Christina Comes Home For Christmas episode) but this episode was a snorefest. I DID LOVE seeing Beth Maitland, and I forgot how excellent Tracey Bregman was as a bitch. She obviously had a blast.

But the rest was really a snooze. Way to much Paul yapping away providing backstory, ect.

And I am not the biggest Fisher family fan, so that could also taint my view.

• Members

Good news everyone, Colleen is back on Monday to push V8! People might want to tape and skip the coffee house scenes. I am all for product placement in the form of someone drinking a Coke or Pepsi instead of Cola but this V8 thing is excessive and will make me think twice about buying their veggie juice.

I am literally shocked, for the first time in months, both Sharon and Ashley are in my good books.

• Members

Although I'll miss Darcy Rose Byrnes, I'm so glad they SORASed Abby. With Noah becoming 16, it just wouldn't make sense for her to be that much younger than him. I'm interested to see how Abby's relationship with Victoria will change now that she's a teenager.

• Members

Just reading through this thread and I gotta say I'm loving all the Brenda Epperson love. To this day, she still is my fave Ashley, though I do realize that Eileen IS Ashley. Brenda just had a genuine warmth & sexuality that she brought to the role. Her chemistry with Don Diamont's Brad was RED HOT, way hotter than Eileen's Ashley.

And let me just say that Shari Sattuck made me go from LOVING Ashley to absolutely hating her. Wrong actress, wrong part.

Archived