Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Huntress

• Members

Why? There is enjoyable trash and then there is out-of-tune trash. Spain was the latter.

Norway was by far the worst -- second only to Andrew Lloyd Webber at the piano while a woman with a strong resemblance to a horse neighed out a song.

Was Armenia the country that sang about "we are the sexy Balkan girls"? Last time I checked, Armenia was located in the Caucauses, not the Balkans.

As you say -- totally hilarious kitsch. Can you believe Abba began here?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The lame disappearance from the stage... I thought her "choreography" would draw certain voters to it and the fact that she was last, thus being still fresh and not forgotten like the first song e.g., would make a difference.

And yes, I like the song! :lol:

• Members

oh, don't apologize for liking spain's entry! I am hard on spain because i expect more. The country has such a great tradition of distinctive music, now with latin american rhythms, that i was expecting a real standout... compared to, say, Estonia.

• Members

I Agree that Moldova was great but, it where probaly a good thing that the poorest countrie in entire europe didnt win.

I am really mad that Sweden came at 21, Norway was so damn overrated, i thought Greece or Ukraine, but Norway......

I am atleast Happy that with the most beautiful song sung by Estonia came at sixth, i also really liked Albania.......

Elena Gheorge from Romania sang the song the Balkan girls, Inga & Anush the sisters from Armenia sang Jan Jan

• Members

At least "Fairytale" is becoming a major hit all across Europe - it's the biggest Eurovision success since 1976 (when "Save Your Kisses For Me" won).

I really liked this year's contest, there were only 3 songs I couldn't stand - Croatia, Malta and Moldova. There was no "real" trash in the final as all weak songs got stuck in the semis.

Spain's performance was awful as she couldn't sing live. However, at least she tried to sing unlike Sakis Rouvas whose backing singers carried the tune. He just danced and lip-synched.

My favourites were:

01P: Romania

02P: Israel

03P: Germany (it was our best performance in years, the song itself sucked though)

04P: Armenia

05P: Portugal

06P: Azerbaijan

07P: United Kingdom

08P: Estonia

10P: Denmark

12P: Iceland

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Last fall, esctoday.com, the biggest Eurovision fan site on the internet, conducted a poll called "Song of the Decade".

In the first stage, there was one poll per country with all songs having taken part between 2000 and 2009. The favourite song of each country made it to the second stage. In the second round, the 46 songs were drawn into two semi finals. The top eleven of each semi final were chosen by poll voting while a twelfth qualifier for each heat was chosen by an esctoday.com jury. Eventually, 24 songs competed in the grand final, where the winner was chosen by regular poll voting.

Semi final 1

Semi final 2

The poll was won by Iceland's 2009 entry "Is It True?", followed by Serbia's 2007 entry "Molitva" and Estonia's 2009 entry "Rändajad".

Archived