The Politics Thread

• Members

I saw some posts about the Dakota pipeline and such - well it looks like these executive actions are being so poorly handled they may not even be enforceable. They are for show (what a shocker).

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trumps-flashy-executive-actions-could-run-aground-234200

Trump's sister involved heavily in SCOTUS pick:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-supreme-court-pick-234202

To be honest for a while I seriously wondered if he really would just nominate his sister. I guess someone out there must have said that wasn't going to fly.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yep.

Seen on one of my (left-leaning) FB friends' posts:

"Who's Barry?"

"A black guy who used to live in government supplied housing."

That moment when you feel the need to defend a president you were critical of against another blatantly racist remark.

Thank goodness, though, my FB friend wasn't involved in this exchange.  He didn't even call him "Barry," which is something even I have been guilty of.

• Members

It's amazing IMO how sort of casual they appear. This is the White House. This person acts like they are sitting by the pool texting their friends.

WikiLeaks is his friend

And taxpayer money is really going to be allowed to be spent on this presidents personal insecurity projects ie Voter fraud.

• Members

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/01/25/the-islamic-state-wanted-the-west-to-fear-refugees-and-muslims-it-worked/?utm_term=.4a173a4cb7ae

I rarely go into the whole "ashamed of America" mode, because it's narcissistic and glib, but things like this do make me feel shame. Shame because of what we're saying to vulnerable people in the world, and shame because he was very very blatant about this and yet he still won (he may not have won the popular vote but he won what mattered), and shame because it's just stupid - it's not going to do anything to help terrorism and will very possibly just make the problem even worse. 

• Members

I never called him Barry. But of course, he did some things that royally ticked me off. on the whole, a fine POTUS. so much better than the turd we have now. worried about crowd sizes, women marching against him, millions upon millions hating him.....the list tragically goes on and on.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/25/im-begging-fema-for-boots-on-the-ground-donald-trump-leaves-gop-leaders-begging-for-aid-after-deadly-storms-in-the-south/

• Members

As many of us are fans of serial TV, many of us have grown up watching soaps and especially, those of us who grew up watching American soaps can relate to the title of this Op-ed article.

Certainly, I know you Days of Our Lives fans can really appreciate the title and its sentiment.

How to Save CNN From Itself

By the way, I don't think CNN is the sole problem, most of the broadcast networks and several newspapers can also shoulder the blame for lack of due diligence in their reporting during this past election season.

• Members

As far as I am concerned CNN's non-stop coverage and daily talks with him in 2015, paved the way for Trump.  They shrugged off all of his divisive speech as nothing, gave him the opportunity to freely promote his lies and venom which made it attractive to the other cable news networks.

It may be funny to toss around labels such as "alternative facts" for a laugh but I think it's counterproductive to use different words to dress up the word lie.  I saw something a little while ago on MSNBC referring to a poll about "false facts."  I am glad that Amy Goodwin on Democracy Now has not problem referring to whatever Trump says as lies because there are a lot of impressionable people out there who will eventually not understand the difference between facts and lies.

• Members

I don't pity Alabama or Georgia (my state) at all. The GOP leaders served as avid surrogates for Trump for their own selfish needs to get reelected and get their legislature pushed through. The GOP voters stays screaming, 'give him a chance' when this is a chance and he's falling flat as expected. This is why I don't pity any of these losers that are pro-Trump. You get what you vote for. Plus, these are the same idiots that fall in line with the absurd claim that climate change does not exist. Reap what you sow...

• Members

It's also not new or exclusive to Trump. Republicans have deprived suffering people of disaster relief for a number of years, and several years back even went around saying they would only give disaster relief if other things like food stamps (I think) were cut - only with intense backlash did they change their minds. 

Salon gets more clicks talking about Trump, but this did not start with him and will not end with him. 

Any media that takes their eye off the ball is doing their ever-diminishing amount of readers a disservice.

• Members

Trust me. I know how the GOP sucks at disaster relief. Our governor, Nathan Deal, handled the snow crisis a few years back in Atlanta poorly and tried to blame it on Kasim Reed, the mayor. Plus, we must never forget how poorly Bush handled Katrina.

I'm sure the people in rural areas of Georgia are hurting right now as they were affected most by the tornado last week, and those areas typically lean right.

Ditto. I read Trumpgrets on Twitter too daily to see these morons moan and groan about stuff that was obvious to all of us DAY ONE.

• Members

There have always been cases of disaster relief being done poorly but once Obama took office it also became politicized. That's how desperate the GOP was to make people suffer for political points. Remember the reaction to Chris Christie welcoming Obama after Sandy. Just another example of people willing to kill themselves or others all in the name of racism and/or partisanship. This country is full of people who'd rather die under a white president than live under a black one.

• Members

I know you didn't mean me, buddy! 

Please register in order to view this content

I was just speaking from my own personal experience as someone living in a red state. Trust, the GOP only gets off by their voters, which are a dying breed. 

Well their wish is about to become VERY true with Trump in office. Whether it is from lack of health care or some national crisis...