The Politics Thread

• Members

I just wanted to tell you guys that I am officially participating in the Women's March on Washington this Saturday morning! I'm from Maryland, so it's not as far for me as it is for many others who are going--only about an hour and a half or two away from home for me--but this is a big deal for me and I am very excited to be participating. There are four buses leaving my home county for the march, and I feel lucky that I was able to get a spot on one of them to go; had I not been able to get a spot; I still would've watched it all on TV, but I would've been sad if I hadn't been able to go.

Also, without giving away too much, I've been pretty active with Democratic politics for a long time now, so this sort of thing is something I plan to continue, especially now.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have to admit that this election basically broke me. I knew how low the right could sink but I still haven't begun to find a way past the betrayal from so many on the left. I can't seem to find my way back to activism. So I thank MissLlanview and MamaVee. Thank you for being so much stronger than I am.

• Members

Don't put yourself down, everyone finds her/his own way at her/his own pace. When you feel renewed and ready, you'll be up to the new challenges. You shouldn't think less of yourself...I certainly don't.

As much as I know I consume news (more than the average person perhaps), I know that sometimes I read as quickly to get through it because some of these proposed changes are just stomach churning. A few times it's been 'one and done' reading the newspaper because I have to try to preserve my spirit.

We all do what we must. We're human and we're facing something unprecedented (not unpresidented).

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I do agree with you about the irrational hatred, but there are still plenty of opportunistic Republicans in both houses that will put the squeeze on repeal. The projections are showing huge negatives if repeal goes through. I do think ACA will survive when the GOP decides to let repeal fade into the background.

• Members

For anyone who's interested, indivisibleguide.com is as they say a practical guide to resisting the Trump agenda. We had many copies of this printed out at the ACA rally Sunday and they all got picked up but we also had little magnetic business cards setup called "THE RESISTANCE" How to fight the Trump Agenda with a couple of links to where to find more info.  One of the links is to this guide:

https://www.indivisibleguide.com/

It's a good starting point for people who want to get involved and don't know what to do. And it uses the rise of the Tea Party and the Anti Obama agenda that was used as a basis for it as a starting point. It also has a link to many local groups and if you're looking for one, you just need to key in your postal code and the site presents a list of orgs locally.

The thing about using the rise of the Tea Party is that it encouraged a grass roots approach and starting as the lowest levels in your community and states to gain visibility, traction, and control.

I am going to women's march in Chicago and am a marshall for it and with the 55 degree sunny weather, they are expecting a turnout of close to 60,000 people. Plus there are 120 buses from Illinois that are going to Washington for the march.

• Members

So I saw a clip of part of the confirmation hearing for Betsy DeVos. She was being questioned by Maggie Hassan, new senator from NH who has a disabled son. Apparently DeVos has no idea that the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act exists. ANyone want to know why the public education system in Michigan is destroyed look no further.

• Members

So DeVos is non-committal on whether she would commit to preserving public education funding and said she would not stand up for students with disabilities. SMH. What a disastrous pick for anyone who has a child in public education or has special needs.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Fortunately much of education is controlled at the state level. Lots of us in Chicago who work or worked for CPS really hated Obama's pick of Arnie Duncan because of his advocacy for Charter Schools and some of his decisions in closing public schools in Chicago. But AT LEAST he actually knows our public education system. This woman also said she wouldn't be against allowing guns in schools. Seriously?

• Members

So list of items from Betsy DeVos hearing:

-Betsy DeVos has no experience managing student loan programs, never took out a loan & never had a child who did

-Guns in schools so kids can protect themselves

-Betsy Davis got her foothold in Education by weighing on people's willingness to experiment with black kids. See the disaster Detroit public schools are

-Is against common core(not a bad idea IMO) but offers no alternative

-Has no idea what IDEA is

And so on

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/12/08/a-sobering-look-at-what-betsy-devos-did-to-education-in-michigan-and-what-she-might-do-as-secretary-of-education/?postshare=2231484709657187&tid=ss_fb&utm_term=.e93990be2581

I can't decide who is a worse choice she, sessions, tillerson, price, oh so many more.

• Members

Over the years, I have grown to despise those who are critical of our country's public school systems.  Especially those who, in almost all cases, possess options that others simply do not.

Instead of finding more ways (such as vouchers) to opt OUT of a public school education for your kids, I ask, why not do your part (and make your elected officials do theirs) in helping to improve the quality of education that already exists?

I tell you, it's just like what I said upthread in regards to reforming the health care industry (over fixing monthly insurance premiums).  This country keeps looking for the quick fix or the easy out instead of dealing with the issue head-on.