The Politics Thread

• Members

I've already decided that redistricting is something I want to get involved with. That and working on Sherrod Brown's campaign are probably going to be the way I try to cope with this nightmare. Plus this campaign showed me that I no longer want to deal with people who need politics to be entertaining. no more marches or rallies with people who then turn around and stay. Give me the nitty gritty stuff working with people who understand what's at stake.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Anyone wanting to oppose Sessions, you can call 1-888-723-5709

Except Bernie ignored those minorities and lost the primary by 4 million votes. Something the Bernie supporters who think he walks on water ignore and voters they don't believe matter either. Yes the democrats lost sight of those voters(Bill Clinton, who has more political moxie than Sanders and a lot of other politicians) wanted to go after them and his wife's campaign ignored him. Clearly a big mistake. I'm not saying forget them. I'm saying quit turning up your nose and taking minority voters and women for granted. White women also voted for trump. HOw about had just 3 percent of white women changed their votes, Clinton would have won also. But I don't see the media going crazy over that either. Maybe we should invest some time into targeting those supposed disenfranchised voters also. As a white woman it makes me ill knowing that had just a small percentage of those women voted for Hillary, she'd be president.

My senator Durbin to Sessions - boom

"There's not a spot of evidence in your public career to say" you'd follow the law on immigration issues. "Tell me I'm wrong."

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Why was he fired?  (I apologize for asking the question, but I can't get my iPad mini to play the video.)

If the GOP insists on repealing (rather than repairing) the ACA, then for God's sake, do it right.  Hold off on repealing until you know that you have an alternative that is effective and allows for a smooth transition.  Otherwise, you're just going to wind up with more people uninsured than ever before.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Am I wrong or didn't Bill Clinton also criticize at least parts of the ACA during the campaign?

Say what you will about Bill, but when it comes to politics, the letch knows what he is talking about.  (Same goes for John Edwards.  He was probably the first to talk about the economic divide that would take over this country way back when he ran for the Democratic nomination, before the baby mama drama effectively killed his career.)

• Members

In something like 20 years. That's a long time to wait. A lot of irrevocable damage can be done in that time.  Not to mention when 29% of Latino men vote for Trump, that tells me that as they move up the economic ladder they aren't necessarily going to stick with Democrats on mass. Not that I necessarily blame people for voting their own interests, I'm just saying I think it's a huge mistake to take anyone for granted.

• Members

Even if the demographics favor us, we can see that the Republicans will just game the system to disenfranchise people. They're still going strong with voter suppression. These are people who wouldn't even give Merrick Garland a hearing, and look at how the N.C. legislature tried to hamstring Roy Cooper when they lost. Whether the numbers are in our favor or not, we're dealing with people who cheat because they know they can't win fairly. Even this week with the rush of hearings shows that they are stunningly and openly corrupt.