The Politics Thread

• Members

And another point. Someone is getting RICH from medical procedures, when it didn't used to be that way. In the 70's... if you were well off enough to lay your hands on 20 grand, you really didn't need health insurance, now it seems to be REQUIRED for everyone, because they charge out the butt for EVERYTHING. A perfect example from my own life:

1987- Emergency room visit, abdominal ultrasound - 650$

2008- emergency room visit, abdominal ultrasound- 4,850$

Now, tell me why the cost of such a thing would go up 8 TIMES in 20 years? I know prices increase over time, but going by health care's model things should be like this:

1987 minimum wage- 3.00$ per hour

2008 minimum wage- 24.00$ per hour

1987 Ford Ranger (I bought one) 9,000$

2008 Ford Ranger - 72,000$

Now, does a Ford Ranger cost 72,000$? Can you work at Mickey D's for 24$ an hour? Yeah... didn't think so.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Alphanguy, I actually do agree with you in regards to the fact that the increase in health care costs has been absolutely absurd. While something has to be done (and given the fact that I am not an expert on this subject, I am not exactly sure what course of action should be taken), I just don't believe a government-run health care system (which will introduce a whole new host of problems that I discussed earlier) is the solution.

Also, while I am no way condoning these outrageous health care fees, one does need to remember that insurance covers most of the costs for most doctor's visits and procedures. Of course, this sucks for those who are uninsured. I guess that this whole debate comes down to what is for the greater good: is it the morally right thing to insure every American (even though--in the process--those who already have health insurance will likely get a lesser quality of health care), or is the most ethical course of action to leave the current system in place so that the vast majority of Americans who are insured can continue to receive top-quality health care? I happen to believe that the most "moral" course of action is not to pursue a government-run health care plan, becuase such a plan will benefit the minority (who are not insured) at the expense of screwing the vast majority. (However, I would like to add that I do respect those who hold the opposing point of view that states we have a moral obligation to insure every American citizen.)

Edited by Max

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Evan Bayh is not running for reelection to his Senate seat.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/15/bayh.retirement/?hpt=T1

The Republicans as a party have done little the past year but run far to the right, pander to a very limited voter base, highlight clowns, and wait for the Democrats to screw up. And yet again, the Democrats screwed up. Say goodbye to Congress this year Dems.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

It has, as you might expect, clogged all the major channels! Everyone is appalled (or pretend to be) and tomorrow's critiques published in newspapers seem more like obituaries.

You have to see tomorrow's The Sun main headline, something like She went for a loaf and came back with a brown toast! :lol:

Edited by Sylph

• Members

The Sun must be loving this. They hate Brown.

There are some Labour names who are saying this is all a setup or the media is being biased, but there really is no one to blame for this but Brown and his handlers. To put him in that situation when he apparently is not very good socially, then to forget to take the mike off -- that's stupidity, not a conspiracy.

Here's the incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14f3aOC929w&feature=player_embedded

His head-in-hands reaction, which some say is even worse PR than the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/8649200.stm

• Members

It was all so... Hysterical! And tragic! The woman asked him what he was going to do about national debt and immigrants from Eastern Europe. She also said she voted Labour all her life and after they had a nice chat (it really seemed it went well) she said she was going to vote Labour again.

But then... When she was told what he said... :ph34r:

Clearly, as in any other similar incident, many will ask whether she too is a bigot (because of her Eastern Europeans comment) and, of course, the ubiquitous conspiracy theory thing. You are right, it was sheer stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Did you hear that about how some woman, Tessa Jowell, was compared to Joan Collins, and then made a bitter remark about Joan using Botox.

I've heard that the BBC election night coverage got a lot of criticism, but they seemed to do well in the ratings.

It looks like a hung parliament, and like the exit poll that many disbelieved when it came out was close to the mark. So will Clegg and Cameron work together? Will the Lib Dems have any credibility after that?

Interesting article on the Tory star candidates who generally flopped. I guess any party that shows off people who are supposed to be so different from their usual standards are likely to see those people fail.

One of them lashed out at the press in a very soapy diva manner.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/election/article-1275139/UK-ELECTION-RESULTS-2010-The-Tatler-Tory-A-listers-failed-make-Westminster.html

• Members

The BBC Election night coverage had 12 million viewers, clobbering ITV and Channel 4. So from a ratings perspective, they did awesome.

Tessa Jowell is a Labour MP who was pissed off at Joan Collins (a Conservative). I'd be worried if I was Tessa Jowell, Joan could sue her about that Botox comment since it's evident, from my standpoint, that she doesn't use it.

If the Lib Dems go along with the Tories they will have zero credibility left. Soooo many people voted Lib Dem to keep the Tories out, it will be very ironic if it has the opposite effect.